Is the game any good?

an-inFamous1337

Hi Everyone.

I was thinking about getting the game, bearing in mind that I never played any of the X-COM games, and it's not my style (If it was like Marvel Ultimate Alliance I wouldn't have blinked. That said; it is what it is) still wanna give the game and the developers a chance. So I took the liberty to list all my questions below:

1) Is the game a good one with a good story?

2) Have there been any game-breaking bugs or issues that I should be aware of?

3) How challenging is the platinum?

4) Should I wait for a sale? (I want to purchase the Legendary Edition and I find it a bit expensive)

Much appreciated, thanks!

14 hours ago, an-inFamous1337 said:

Hi Everyone.

I was thinking about getting the game, bearing in mind that I never played any of the X-COM games, and it's not my style (If it was like Marvel Ultimate Alliance I wouldn't have blinked. That said; it is what it is) still wanna give the game and the developers a chance. So I took the liberty to list all my questions below:

1) Is the game a good one with a good story?

2) Have there been any game-breaking bugs or issues that I should be aware of?

3) How challenging is the platinum?

4) Should I wait for a sale? (I want to purchase the Legendary Edition and I find it a bit expensive)

Much appreciated, thanks!

Ok, so I have never played x-com or anything alike. But I can have a go at your q’s from how I found the game. I wrote a very small review of how I found it in another post a few days ago so I have copied that below also if interesting to you?

1) huge amount of story, a surprising amount in fact. 100s of unique conversations with many different characters

2) didn’t enouncuter any game breakers personally. I did have a character locked out of the game when a side mission bugged out. I had to download a back up save from cloud and lost about 13 in game days because of it. Very frustrating at the time.

3) can’t really say there is anything hugely challenging skill wise that springs to mind, but there is a bit of a grind for what will most likely be your last trophy. I personally hate grinding above anything else in games, but with this I didn’t find it particularly offensive or draining or overly long. However, I m a huge sucker for deck building and card battle mechanics so am aware there is bias there.

4) I’ve played a lot of the recent releases and a fair few I would advise to wait for the sale, or just plain up avoid all together (sonic frontiers - eeeshh!). This one however I’d say is fully worth the price of admission. It’s a meaty game that will last well into the new year no problem.

Marvel Midnight Suns

Anticipation - superhero Deck building and card battling mechanics? Yes please, sign me up! - 4/5

Enjoyment - Had played a few stinkers leading up to this one so Was surprised by just how much I enjoyed this game, quickly got onto my top 5 games of 2022 list. Huge list of playable characters, hrs and hrs of story (Truly surprising how much there is) and lots of fun to be in this world. An absolute must play for deck building lovers. - 5/5

Retrospect - Not forgettable by any means. A bit of a grind for last trophy, but I can forgive that because the rest of my time with the game was so much fun. A couple of real annoying bugs, but nothing permanent. Overall, One of the best of 2022 - 4/5

• Like 3

8 hours ago, PotrikBerger said:

Ok, so I have never played x-com or anything alike. But I can have a go at your q’s from how I found the game. I wrote a very small review of how I found it in another post a few days ago so I have copied that below also if interesting to you?

1) huge amount of story, a surprising amount in fact. 100s of unique conversations with many different characters

2) didn’t enouncuter any game breakers personally. I did have a character locked out of the game when a side mission bugged out. I had to download a back up save from cloud and lost about 13 in game days because of it. Very frustrating at the time.

3) can’t really say there is anything hugely challenging skill wise that springs to mind, but there is a bit of a grind for what will most likely be your last trophy. I personally hate grinding above anything else in games, but with this I didn’t find it particularly offensive or draining or overly long. However, I m a huge sucker for deck building and card battle mechanics so am aware there is bias there.

4) I’ve played a lot of the recent releases and a fair few I would advise to wait for the sale, or just plain up avoid all together (sonic frontiers - eeeshh!). This one however I’d say is fully worth the price of admission. It’s a meaty game that will last well into the new year no problem.

Marvel Midnight Suns

Anticipation - superhero Deck building and card battling mechanics? Yes please, sign me up! - 4/5

Enjoyment - Had played a few stinkers leading up to this one so Was surprised by just how much I enjoyed this game, quickly got onto my top 5 games of 2022 list. Huge list of playable characters, hrs and hrs of story (Truly surprising how much there is) and lots of fun to be in this world. An absolute must play for deck building lovers. - 5/5

Retrospect - Not forgettable by any means. A bit of a grind for last trophy, but I can forgive that because the rest of my time with the game was so much fun. A couple of real annoying bugs, but nothing permanent. Overall, One of the best of 2022 - 4/5

That is very insightful and informative! Thank you very much for taking the time to reply back to my post, much appreciated. ?

I actually proceed with buying the game despite not being on sale yesterday evening lol I want to try

After what you wrote and the research that I have done online, I am looking forward to jumping in maybe after finishing The Witcher III on PS5.

Thanks again for the abundance of info! I will check out your full review for sure.

• Like 1

Just my two cents.

1. I tried once to play an X-COM game and quite frankly kinda hated it. This is very much more approachable and enjoyable, it has less confining or chance mechanics, it has a great variety of heroes and abilities. Storywise, I play it now a second time for some trophies and I still discover story lines, all the heroes have intwrtwined mini subplots and the main story is quite epic on a supernatural frame.

2. There is one bug that brakes a side mechanic on the Abbey (the non-combat, exploring part of the game) but the autosave function is quite good, so if you don't see it at first, tops you will lose half an hour of gaming. In my current second playthrough I do it fast and I have managed to break ita a couple of times (accepting some invitations while there is some scripted scene in the abbey) but, again, nothing that cannot be remedied by a load and more carefull approach. Overall, for the close to 100 hours I have played it, it is quit solid.

3. The only trophy that have caused me trouble is the Extracullicular Activities one, it has to do with some invitations to some "clubs" the heroes create in the Abbey, and because it is story sensitive, you might miss it in the end mission. Either way, you need a second playthrough for the opposite balance (light / darkness) so if you miss it the first time try it the second. I am currently trying to trigger the final meeting of the final club but it seems bugged out, there needs to be a guide for it, I am trying out stuff right now.

4. I actually bought the legendary edition, cause I love Marvel and it was a  spondaneous buy (the legendary I mean, overall I would definitely buy it anyway). It definitely is a nice videogame to keep you busy in the holidays, it is big, it can be enjoyably challenging and it is a must for Marvel fans.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ModusAm said:

3. The only trophy that have caused me trouble is the Extracullicular Activities one, it has to do with some invitations to some "clubs" the heroes create in the Abbey, and because it is story sensitive, you might miss it in the end mission. Either way, you need a second playthrough for the opposite balance (light / darkness) so if you miss it the first time try it the second. I am currently trying to trigger the final meeting of the final club but it seems bugged out, there needs to be a guide for it, I am trying out stuff right now.

For the clubs I would say go through your messages and make sure you didn't miss responding to one, if you haven't checked that already.  It can be easy to miss messages sometimes. 

4 hours ago, DoctorBaofu said:

For the clubs I would say go through your messages and make sure you didn't miss responding to one, if you haven't checked that already.  It can be easy to miss messages sometimes. 

*WARNING - POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

I do. I have now done the emo (needs some days after liberating the female fallen) and shop clubs and it's been like 4 days I have responded to the last invitation from book club and Blade hasn't appeared. I want to see if it needs some event to trigger it, like with emo. I parallely play two saves on the second playthrough, one I keep playing post finishing emo and shop clubs, and one where I kept it before finishing emo club and waiting to see if book club triggers before liberating the female fallen. It probably would come naturally but having been burnt with the soup, I blow on the yoghurt to cool (greek proverb).

On 12/24/2022 at 4:37 AM, ModusAm said:

*WARNING - POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

I do. I have now done the emo (needs some days after liberating the female fallen) and shop clubs and it's been like 4 days I have responded to the last invitation from book club and Blade hasn't appeared. I want to see if it needs some event to trigger it, like with emo. I parallely play two saves on the second playthrough, one I keep playing post finishing emo and shop clubs, and one where I kept it before finishing emo club and waiting to see if book club triggers before liberating the female fallen. It probably would come naturally but having been burnt with the soup, I blow on the yoghurt to cool (greek proverb).

I got the final book club event within an hour of starting Act 3 (according to the timestamps of my trophies).

• 4 weeks later...

For me it's been a great discovery. It has a good interesting story, nicely written characters, a great deal of customization, fun and varied gameplay...

It also has tons of funny interactions and moments, I would recommend it a lot, I am not very good at strategy games and this one has the right amount of complexity to make it both enjoyable for me and challenging enough so it's not boring.

When I first Saw game PLAY footage of it I thought I wouldnt enjoy it, Saw it was on sale in the january sale and wanted to give it a go and I have been 100% proven wrong I have really enjoyed the game.

all the interaction with the other heroes, the story, the banter, everything has actually been quite good