Warning: "Sharpest Tool in the Shed" is missable

NathanielJohn

This has been mentioned in a couple of scattered posts on this forum, but it deserves some proper visibility, since the main trophy guide for this game (PowerPyx) says that nothing is missable and everything can be obtained through chapter select. This is not true for tools. If you miss a tool then grabbing it in chapter select will *not* unlock the trophy. Instead, you have to play through the entire rest of the game, starting from whichever tool you missed.

Edit: I'm pretty sure NG+ cannot be used for this trophy if you miss it the first time around, or at least it's buggy. I missed the 3rd tool on my first playthrough. One NG+ I had Tool Level 4 as expected, but all tools (even the third one) were gone and thus could not be picked up. The only way I could get the trophy is by chapter-selecting to the 3rd tool and playing continuously from there (no more chapter select) all the way until the 5th tool.

Edited by NathanielJohn
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...
8 hours ago, MAUSZX said:

Well I don't know if is the case in every situation, but I missed the 5th one, so I chapter select and got it. Then again that was the last one.

Yeah if you miss the 5th one it’s no problem — the game remembers tools from before the point you chapter select to. It only sucks if you miss an early tool, since you have to replay the entire game from the tool you missed until tool #5.

On 11/12/2023 at 12:40 PM, NathanielJohn said:

Yeah if you miss the 5th one it’s no problem — the game remembers tools from before the point you chapter select to. It only sucks if you miss an early tool, since you have to replay the entire game from the tool you missed until tool #5.

Hey, so just to clarify, everything else can be collected via chapter select? Even if I miss doors or joke, it can still be popped? I remember on ps3 and ps4 doors and I think jokes had to be done in a single playthrough, but maybe this has been changed for the remake.

5 minutes ago, HaserPL said:

Hey, so just to clarify, everything else can be collected via chapter select? Even if I miss doors or joke, it can still be popped? I remember on ps3 and ps4 doors and I think jokes had to be done in a single playthrough, but maybe this has been changed for the remake.

I’m not 100% sure anymore (I played it a bit ago now, sorry) but I’m pretty sure that’s right. They implemented proper collectible tracking which you can see on a chapter-by-chapter basis for most collectibles, since they are spread across both the base game and the DLC this time. But for tools they didn’t do that, since they’re only in the base game.