What is the best class for Hardcore Mode?

I see the trophy guide says Witch Doctor, but I see a lot of people say Crusader due to their escape death ability. I played my first playthrough as a Necromancer and died twice during one of the late game bosses. Other than that I never was remotely close to death. I was playing on Hard, so obviously I'll bump it down to Normal for Hardcore.

Also, I'm assuming backing up to a USB drive and reloading my save if I die works for this trophy?

Thanks for any help!

It has been a while, but I remember only dying once to a self destructing enemy that surprised me around a corner.  I was playing as a witchdoctor if I remember correctly, but I am sure most classes would work if you just take your time and are careful.  Back when I did it, backing up your save worked just fine.  I am not sure how they would be able to prevent that, so you should be good there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sir_Bee said:

It has been a while, but I remember only dying once to a self destructing enemy that surprised me around a corner.  I was playing as a witchdoctor if I remember correctly, but I am sure most classes would work if you just take your time and are careful.  Back when I did it, backing up your save worked just fine.  I am not sure how they would be able to prevent that, so you should be good there.

Yeah, I'm taking my time and backing up my save every hour or so. Really looking forward to trying out the Witchdoctor class. I have to say, the Crusader class is pretty tedious compared to the Necromancer, which I was just playing as and loved. I'm currently around level 20 at the end of Act I and really not looking forward to finishing this one out!

2 hours ago, KingGuy420 said:

I'd say ranged classes have a slight advantage since they can stay safer. But anybody is capable of it.

The Crusader has a ranged attack where they throw a hammer, so I'm going that route.

• 3 weeks later...

After just finishing the Plat, I think the Necromancer is the most overpowered class in the game, so it might be the safest option for Hardcore. You can have around 10 other very efficient summons/minions around you that keep you out of danger. You simply run around and let them kill everything. This also counts towards the Dream Team trophy for leveling 6 different classes, so you can skip one of the classes in the base game. I would have skipped either Crusader or Barbarian.

I'd also say Necromancer is the best class for the Batting 500 Trophy, which is for completing 500 Bounties. People suggest killing Zoltun Kulle over and over, but it is incredibly boring as you have to load and reload until the bounty appears. The load screens are quick, but the bounty shows up every 6 or so loads. I just did all the bounties in Act I over and over with Normal difficulty. I thought it was just as quick finishing these bounties as it was reloading for Zoltun Kulle. Even if it is slightly longer, it is just more enjoyable and engaging. Also, the Greed Over Need Trophy for killing 100 Treasure Goblins, you won't find these guys using the Zoltun Kulle method. So, if you need some after you finish leveling your characters (I needed around 30), you'll find them every few bounties running them in Act I.

Edited by cobaltTangerine
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/02/2023 at 8:54 AM, cobaltTangerine said:

After just finishing the Plat, I think the Necromancer is the most overpowered class in the game, so it might be the safest option for Hardcore. You can have around 10 other very efficient summons/minions around you that keep you out of danger. You simply run around and let them kill everything. This also counts towards the Dream Team trophy for leveling 6 different classes, so you can skip one of the classes in the base game. I would have skipped either Crusader or Barbarian.

I'd also say Necromancer is the best class for the Batting 500 Trophy, which is for completing 500 Bounties. People suggest killing Zoltun Kulle over and over, but it is incredibly boring as you have to load and reload until the bounty appears. The load screens are quick, but the bounty shows up every 6 or so loads. I just did all the bounties in Act I over and over with Normal difficulty. I thought it was just as quick finishing these bounties as it was reloading for Zoltun Kulle. Even if it is slightly longer, it is just more enjoyable and engaging. Also, the Greed Over Need Trophy for killing 100 Treasure Goblins, you won't find these guys using the Zoltun Kulle method. So, if you need some after you finish leveling your characters (I needed around 30), you'll find them every few bounties running them in Act I.

Do you know if you can do bounty on both hardcore and softcore for the 500? 

Going for plat atm

13 hours ago, Coulombe_Plats said:

Do you know if you can do bounty on both hardcore and softcore for the 500? 

Going for plat atm

It does carry over between hardcore and software. I've already deleted the game, but the game keeps track of it in one of the stat categories. I remember it being one on the left side, as I was checking that stat hourly while I was grinding out the bounties. I did most of mine on Hardcore with the Necromancer.