What are your thoughts on this game?

Thanks for the magnificently useless comment.  First you claim what I say is wrong but offer absolutely no example or explanation.  But I guess your word is the law, even when it makes absolutely no sense.  If gamers acted entitled, as you claim, companies like, say, EA wouldn't exist.  The entire reason they're still in bussiness is because gamers will buy whatever crap they throw at them without taking a glance at what they're getting.  That's quite the opposite of being entitled.

And then go with the classic ridiculous "don't like it, don't buy it" nonsense.  How the hell am I supposed to know if I'm going to like it if I don't buy it?  The only reason people can know they don't like the price is because only once the game is played they can see if it's worth it or not.

Now, I get what you are saying here. But say 75%, don't buy games that are "fillers"; the other 25% is enough for the companies like EA to do this. Any way you slice it, boil it down to does not matter as it will eventually happen. I personally enjoyed the 6 missions, did feel that it was a little too Western inspired but oh well. This is meant to reel us in for The Phantom Pain, if not temporarily. 

If people enjoy it, people enjoy it. So stop judging others for the choice they have made, they made it and they are willing to go with that choice, enough bickering over others choices.

Thanks for the magnificently useless comment.  First you claim what I say is wrong but offer absolutely no example or explanation.  But I guess your word is the law, even when it makes absolutely no sense.  If gamers acted entitled, as you claim, companies like, say, EA wouldn't exist.  The entire reason they're still in bussiness is because gamers will buy whatever crap they throw at them without taking a glance at what they're getting.  That's quite the opposite of being entitled.

And then go with the classic ridiculous "don't like it, don't buy it" nonsense.  How the hell am I supposed to know if I'm going to like it if I don't buy it?  The only reason people can know they don't like the price is because only once the game is played they can see if it's worth it or not.

You say gamers don't act entitled, I say they do, I don't need to offer example or explanation, I see enough of it on the internet to form that opinion. I find your whinging just as "magnificently useless" as you haven't played the game and you're judging it.  "How the hell am I supposed to know if I'm going to like it if I don't buy it?" Try reading reviews, many have stated that it's short, so you can buy it for whatever price you feel comfortable with (in other words, you can wait), but don't whinge about other people buying it now and enjoying it. As for your earlier post, no it's not "full priced", though the hard copies may be overpriced. And no, it's not a demo. It's the prologue and it will not be featured in MGS5, everybody knows it's short.

Now, I get what you are saying here. But say 75%, don't buy games that are "fillers"; the other 25% is enough for the companies like EA to do this. Any way you slice it, boil it down to does not matter as it will eventually happen. I personally enjoyed the 6 missions, did feel that it was a little too Western inspired but oh well. This is meant to reel us in for The Phantom Pain, if not temporarily. 

If people enjoy it, people enjoy it. So stop judging others for the choice they have made, they made it and they are willing to go with that choice, enough bickering over others choices.

You are missing the point here.  Leaving aside your numbers, which you have hopelessly wrong, your actual choices affect my future choices.  As I said, if more people allow this sort of thing, more companies are going to do it.  And, again, I'm not talking about the quality of the game, I'm talking about the length.  It's a demo, no matter how you window-dress it.  Other games release demos or episodes with as much content but don't have the nerve to charge $30 for it.  At most they should have charged $10 for this.

You say gamers don't act entitled, I say they do, I don't need to offer example or explanation, I see enough of it on the internet to form that opinion. I find your whinging just as "magnificently useless" as you haven't played the game and you're judging it.  "How the hell am I supposed to know if I'm going to like it if I don't buy it?" Try reading reviews, many have stated that it's short, so you can buy it for whatever price you feel comfortable with (in other words, you can wait), but don't whinge about other people buying it now and enjoying it. As for your earlier post, no it's not "full priced", though the hard copies may be overpriced. And no, it's not a demo. It's the prologue and it will not be featured in MGS5, everybody knows it's short.

Oh, right, you've seen enough of it on the internet to form that opinion.  Right, right.  Well, clearly you're very selective about what you see, because I feel it's pretty clear, and you're evidence of it, that gamers will buy whatever crap companies they give to them and then they will defend those companies.  The Xbox One shouldn't even exist after their original plans.  Gamers all over the planet should have said "Clearly we can't trust Microsoft" and boycotted the entire thing.  Yet even before they decided to change things they had people defending them, and, of course, after they changed things the console is now really popular, gamers completely forgetting about all those trust problems.  Again, the word of a couple of guys on the internet means nothing, otherwise, going by your comments, I'd have to assume all commenters on the internet are jerks.

Call it a prologue all you want, it's a demo.  According to you, just because everyone knows it's short it's excusable.  So, according to your logic, if before robbing your house I were to text you to let you know, that'd make it right?  And, as I told the other guy, your decisions today affect my options tomorrow.  I don't tell you not to enjoy the game, enjoy it all you want.  Replay it seven thousand times if you feel like it.  But don't even pretend for a second that it's a good value, because it simply isn't.

You are missing the point here.  Leaving aside your numbers, which you have hopelessly wrong, your actual choices affect my future choices.  As I said, if more people allow this sort of thing, more companies are going to do it.  And, again, I'm not talking about the quality of the game, I'm talking about the length.  It's a demo, no matter how you window-dress it.  Other games release demos or episodes with as much content but don't have the nerve to charge $30 for it.  At most they should have charged $10 for this.

Oh, right, you've seen enough of it on the internet to form that opinion.  Right, right.  Well, clearly you're very selective about what you see, because I feel it's pretty clear, and you're evidence of it, that gamers will buy whatever crap companies they give to them and then they will defend those companies.  The Xbox One shouldn't even exist after their original plans.  Gamers all over the planet should have said "Clearly we can't trust Microsoft" and boycotted the entire thing.  Yet even before they decided to change things they had people defending them, and, of course, after they changed things the console is now really popular, gamers completely forgetting about all those trust problems.  Again, the word of a couple of guys on the internet means nothing, otherwise, going by your comments, I'd have to assume all commenters on the internet are jerks.

Call it a prologue all you want, it's a demo.  According to you, just because everyone knows it's short it's excusable.  So, according to your logic, if before robbing your house I were to text you to let you know, that'd make it right?  And, as I told the other guy, your decisions today affect my options tomorrow.  I don't tell you not to enjoy the game, enjoy it all you want.  Replay it seven thousand times if you feel like it.  But don't even pretend for a second that it's a good value, because it simply isn't.

If it was a demo, then it would be part of the full game. It isn't, it's more akin to DLC. You can call the game crap, but you haven't played it, so your opinion on it meaningless. If everyone had the same attitude as you then you wouldn't get big budget games at all. As I explained earlier, I got it for $25 with Peace Walker HD (PW costs $20 on it's own here), so it was excellent value. Anyway, enjoy whinging about it while other people play it.

If it was a demo, then it would be part of the full game. It isn't, it's more akin to DLC. You can call the game crap, but you haven't played it, so your opinion on it meaningless. If everyone had the same attitude as you then you wouldn't get big budget games at all. As I explained earlier, I got it for $25 with Peace Walker HD (PW costs $20 on it's own here), so it was excellent value. Anyway, enjoy whinging about it while other people play it.

Oh, my God, could you stop taking things so literally?  And also could you please stop making stuff up?  I never called the game crap.  In fact, I have praised the gameplay somewhere else.  What you simply are unable to grasp is that the gameplay doesn't matter for this discussion.  I'm discussing the value of the game, and I say is not good enough at its current price.

You say it was good value for you because it came bundled with a $20 game.  Well, you are validating my point.  You only paid $5 for the game, of course it's good value to you.  You probably wouldn't be singing the same song if you had had to pay $50 for that bundle.

Game is pretty amazing, one of the best games I've played this year already. Too bad 'Phantom Pain' is one year away from releasing. And I really won't be surprised if it gets delayed one or two times, with Hideo saying on how big and long the game is, and how they're having a hard time finishing the project cause of that, actually. I hope Ground Zeroes receives some add-content, like new map areas along new missions, and such. I'm really enjoying the new gameplay mechanics. I already have 97% of the game completed, and all of its trophies completed, and I still keep playing through it.

Game is pretty amazing, one of the best games I've played this year already. Too bad 'Phantom Pain' is one year away from releasing. And I really won't be surprised if it gets delayed one or two times, with Hideo saying on how big and long the game is, and how they're having a hard time finishing the project cause of that, actually. I hope Ground Zeroes receives some add-content, like new map areas along new missions, and such. I'm really enjoying the new gameplay mechanics. I already have 97% of the game completed, and all of its trophies completed, and I still keep playing through it.

Yeah, the more I learn the rules of how the stealth and AI works, the more fun the game is for me. It reminds me of MGS1 in many ways as it feels like there's more incentive to sneak up to enemies and grab them. MGS5 sounds very ambitious, I agree that it'll be delayed.

Oh, my God, could you stop taking things so literally?  And also could you please stop making stuff up?  I never called the game crap.  In fact, I have praised the gameplay somewhere else.  What you simply are unable to grasp is that the gameplay doesn't matter for this discussion.  I'm discussing the value of the game, and I say is not good enough at its current price.

You say it was good value for you because it came bundled with a $20 game.  Well, you are validating my point.  You only paid $5 for the game, of course it's good value to you.  You probably wouldn't be singing the same song if you had had to pay $50 for that bundle.

No, I wouldn't have paid $50 necessarily, but it costs $25 so what's your point? I'm not going to argue with you about what ifs. As for calling the game crap, here's a direct quote from you "I feel it's pretty clear, and you're evidence of it, that gamers will buy whatever crap companies they give to them". What is the point of giving your opinion on a game that you haven't played?

• Like 1

No, I wouldn't have paid $50 necessarily, but it costs $25 so what's your point? I'm not going to argue with you about what ifs. As for calling the game crap, here's a direct quote from you "I feel it's pretty clear, and you're evidence of it, that gamers will buy whatever crap companies they give to them". What is the point of giving your opinion on a game that you haven't played?

Either you are absolutely terrible at reading and logic or you're just trolling.  It didn't cost $25 to you, the cost was $5, because $20 is the cost of the other game, as per the data you showed.  Gamers had to pay $30 for that game alone.  Or $40 if they're on next-gen.  Not the same as you, at all.  Also, when I said "whatever crap" I didn't mean the game itself was crap, I was talking about the situation.  But, again, either you show an absolute lack of reading comprehension or you're just pretending to do so in order to annoy me.

Either you are absolutely terrible at reading and logic or you're just trolling.  It didn't cost $25 to you, the cost was $5, because $20 is the cost of the other game, as per the data you showed.  Gamers had to pay $30 for that game alone.  Or $40 if they're on next-gen.  Not the same as you, at all.  Also, when I said "whatever crap" I didn't mean the game itself was crap, I was talking about the situation.  But, again, either you show an absolute lack of reading comprehension or you're just pretending to do so in order to annoy me.

It did cost me $25, and after playing it, I know it was worth it with or without PW. The next gen version may be overpriced but this thread is for the PS3 version. If you weren't referring to the game as crap, then what were you referring to in this instance? You said I was an example of buying it and the only game we were discussing was MGS:GZ. You can insult me and whinge all you want, you are a perfect example of a gamer acting entitled.

It did cost me $25, and after playing it, I know it was worth it with or without PW. The next gen version may be overpriced but this thread is for the PS3 version. If you weren't referring to the game as crap, then what were you referring to in this instance? You said I was an example of buying it and the only game we were discussing was MGS:GZ. You can insult me and whinge all you want, you are a perfect example of a gamer acting entitled.

OK, I give up.  I have no reason to keep arguing with a jerk who reads what he wants instead of what I write.  As I said before, either you show a fundamental misunderstanding of very basic concepts (in which case, I can't help you) or you're trolling (in which case, I don't have a reason to keep talking to you anyway).  But maybe you should stop calling people "entitled" just for wanting to be treated fairly.

OK, I give up.  I have no reason to keep arguing with a jerk who reads what he wants instead of what I write.  As I said before, either you show a fundamental misunderstanding of very basic concepts (in which case, I can't help you) or you're trolling (in which case, I don't have a reason to keep talking to you anyway).  But maybe you should stop calling people "entitled" just for wanting to be treated fairly.

Yes, keep calling me a jerk because you disagree with me. "you show a fundamental misunderstanding of very basic concepts" more like I don't agree with the nonsensical rants of person who hasn't played the game.

I wonder if you've played all the side ops and have all the unlockables. Personally I loved it, you're entitled to your opinion though.

I got the XOF patches. Couldn't be arsed to get the cassette tapes. The "side ops" are all just re-skinned versions of the main mission with different objectives. A pathetic way to pad out the content. I loved it, don't get me wrong, but paying $20 for one mission is just ridiculous.

Definitely worth it for me, I would rather have the prologue now than wait another year without anything to play. Did you not know it was short before buying it? There's no reason why you need to rush out and buy it at that price point if it bothers you. You could have waited 3 months, you know it'll drop in price when Phantom Pain rolls around.

I did know it was short. I bought it because I try to be loyal to the series. I just don't feel it was worth it.

I did know it was short. I bought it because I try to be loyal to the series. I just don't feel it was worth it.

In my opinion, the right price point for new release would be around $20, and those patient enough would likely get it a lot cheaper before MGS5 is released anyway. That's comparable to something like Left Behind. I think it was a mistake to release it on disc (and charge a lot more) because it gave consumers/reviewers the impression that it's a full game rather than a stand alone DLC, which it really is.

I got the XOF patches. Couldn't be arsed to get the cassette tapes. The "side ops" are all just re-skinned versions of the main mission with different objectives. A pathetic way to pad out the content. I loved it, don't get me wrong, but paying $20 for one mission is just ridiculous.

I wouldn't call the 6 different missions "re-skinned versions" they share the same map yes. But they are really different both in enemy placement, creativity, objective, etc. If anything it shows how amazing and full with detail every area in The Phantom Pain will be. 

Overall GZ isn't for everyone, the people that I believe will get the most and enjoy the most out of it will be Metal Gear fans that are COMPLETIONISTS since it does have a lot to find, explore, collect, and do. I'm actually surprised you didn't collect all the tapes.... did you collect them in PW? Because you seem to be a fan and you're missing out on a lot of great content and story. 

• Like 2

I pre-ordered it for $50 then I realised something was odd when I check the trophy list on MGSV: Ground zero that there was no platinum trophy. It turns out after watching reviews and researching about it that I actually got ripped off that I had to change the pre-ordering to get MGSV: Phantom Pain instead

• 2 months later...

Well, for someone who got this as a gift...although it may be a bit late, I say that if i bought this, I would've gotten my money's worth.

I tend to explore environments, so this one already satisfies me to the core. Especially with differences in soldier locations with every mission.

I also love the in-game trials. The added cassette tapes with voice acting are much appreciated as well.

The only thing i didn't really like was the other options commonly available from other MGS games to be non-existent in this game. Still forgivable anyway.

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I never got around to playing this until yesterday, before I started Phantom Pain. And I totally regret it.

But not for the reason one might think. This game really does demand your attention. It introduces all the brand new basic gameplay elements we will be using extensively in Phantom Pain. The game is set in one area, but the area is extensive, and the idea is to take the time to learn it, in and out, so you can perform better at these missions, which are now extensively ranked though very condensed compared to what we have been accustomed to. 

Then we have the totally stylistic switch in the narrative. Only one cutscene at the very end that is more violent and visceral than anything we've seen in the series, and it ends with the destruction of Mother Base, as if to say, everything we know so far is gone and what comes next will be totally different. Firing up this game for the first time and being able to play Phantom Pain immediately after, this became clear to me, and I could see exactly what Kojima was trying to prepare us for. The environments in PP are much more extensive than this, and you need to be on your toes at all times to sneak in the classic Tactical Espionage way we are familiar with.

I wish I would have played it sooner, the cliff hanger would have made the wait excruciating, but there is really a lot to see and do in this game, and it only goes to show you the possibilities that were coming our way, that are available to us now as of yesterday. So in one sense, yes it is a demo of what's to come, but no demo could ever and will ever be this extensive; Ground Zeroes does stand on it's own.