internal-external storage confusion

Aluminium_Sirius

I don’t have external drive at the moment, therefore a handful of questions.

Supposedly I move a game to external drive. Now I know I cannot transfer game saves or settings data directly to external drive. But can I do it by using USB pendrive or PS+? If so, how? If not - the next question:

When I have the game moved will it still be able to „see” saves and settings remaining in the internal storage (PS4)? If not then what is the point of putting games on external storage?

And thirdly, assuming all of this fails and I’ll have to start a game all over (because it was already moved to external drive but without saved games), will the future saves and user data be automatically saved on the external drive or still on the internal?

PlayStation expertys, please help. Thanks.

Using external drive, only moves games application/add-ons. Which is the point of using external drives. As some games are quite large in comparison to others. When connected you will be able to play just fine using your local saves. When disconnected games will have an icon on them. 

saves only go to USB or PS+ clouds. 

hope this helps and answered your questions clearly. 

I see, thanks. So there is absolutely no reason (or fear) to move saves/settings to the external storage, because the system knows „the game is here, but other data is there”?

What about future saves? Where are they going to end up?

Edited by Aluminium_Sirius

24 minutes ago, Aluminium_Sirius said:

I don’t have external drive at the moment, therefore a handful of questions.

Supposedly I move a game to external drive. Now I know I cannot transfer game saves or settings data directly to external drive. But can I do it by using USB pendrive or PS+? If so, how?

Save files are always stored in the internal drive it doesn't matter if you install the game in external or internal drive. 

Upload the save files to cloud, by pressing option and select upload/download option.

4 minutes ago, Aluminium_Sirius said:

What about future saves? Where are they going to end up?

Save files location are always and forever will be the "internal drive"

Edited by zulqarmessi
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, zulqarmessi said:

Save files are always stored in the internal drive it doesn't matter if you install the game in external or internal drive. 

Upload the save files to cloud, by pressing option and select upload/download option.

Save files location are always and forever will be the "internal drive"

This^

Saves are always stored on the internal drive - there's no way to change that fact. Also, whilst you can backup your saves to a USB Drive and the Cloud, they have to be on the internal drive for them to be read by any game.

• Like 1