Hazard Zone - The Basics

Captain_Fruits

Here's a question, since you're on NA/Canada time. When were you finding the best times (also what time zone) to que up for consistent games? I'm having an absolute hell of a time finding matches when I play, so maybe I'm just searching at the wrong hours. ?

5 hours ago, Skurkitty said:

Here's a question, since you're on NA/Canada time. When were you finding the best times (also what time zone) to que up for consistent games? I'm having an absolute hell of a time finding matches when I play, so maybe I'm just searching at the wrong hours. 1f610.png

Morning EST is the best to play, with Cross play ON and you will only have 3-4 other teams to worry about.

Do go in with a team that's at least decent and with mics, solo is most likely a disaster.

All 3 trophies popped fine for me.

3 hours ago, Fr_0zt said:

Morning EST is the best to play, with Cross play ON and you will only have 3-4 other teams to worry about.

Do go in with a team that's at least decent and with mics, solo is most likely a disaster.

All 3 trophies popped fine for me.

Well I'm definitely doing them alone, my only option (Don't do sessions, no friends playing). It's not completely terrible, I get a couple extractions here and there, unfortunately some I'm in the bleeding out stance and I'm unsure if those count. Xbox forums say they do, PSN guide says they don't ?.

But the morning EST is a good note, I must be on TOO early. It's rather dead between 12-5am EST whenever I check in. Guess I'll have to try after the average person wakes up ?. Also I always leave cross play on.

Edited by Skurkitty

11 hours ago, Skurkitty said:

Here's a question, since you're on NA/Canada time. When were you finding the best times (also what time zone) to que up for consistent games? I'm having an absolute hell of a time finding matches when I play, so maybe I'm just searching at the wrong hours. 1f610.png

No matter what platform you are playing, always leave the cross-play ON.

I've tried turning it off and could never find enough ppl to boot up the game.

Remember that PS4 cross-play does not work with PS5 cross-play. Cross-play is separated with old gen (PS4/Xbox1) and new gen (PS5,Xbox X/S, PC).

The minimal number of player required to start a game on old gen is 8 (24 player lobbies), but it is 12 on new gen (32 player lobbies).

With cross-play on I never had issue finding a game between 10 AM and 3 AM (Eastern Time, GMT-4) either on PS4 or PS5, but it is common to have to wait between 1.5-2 mins for matchmaking.

Playing on week days in the morning or early after-noon (10 AM to 3 PM) usually results in less players in the lobbies (which can be an advantage).

The mode is more populated during week days' evening/night and weekends, so it's more common to have full or near-full lobbies during that time. The advantage is that there is less downtime between sessions.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2023 at 11:19 PM, Captain_Fruits said:

No matter what platform you are playing, always leave the cross-play ON.

Nope. As a console gamer you do NOT want to go against PC players, even if you have several on your team. Mouse/keyboard gives them a massive advantage over joypads and you'll have a hard time staying alive. When I started HZ I had cross-play on to find matches faster and couldn't reach a single extraction during the first 10+ matches. Then I turned it off and what do you know, got extraction straight away. As I kept playing it became pretty obvious how much more even battles with "console only" gamers are. I'd rather wait a few minutes to find a match where I actually have a chance than waste time with PC players again.

Hazard zone is easy even if you're terrible. All these tips are great, but theres one thing that'll make this a 3/10 at worst. If you want to play cheaply just for the trophies, you can put on the recoilless launcher or the cluster grenade launcher (forgot its name) and hide/wait nearby the extraction. Wait until the timer runs down and make a run for it so you get on with no more than 10 seconds left. This means 9 times out of 10 another team would've already ran and got on. All you and your friends need to then do is launcher them while they're stuck in a tiny helicopter. Doesn't matter who they're playing, they'll die. Easy extract for clean extraction and for the 25, and also easy way to get 50 data drives as they'll likely have quite a few on the dead bodies.

This basically negates the entire mode allowing even the worst players to get this done.

Just wait for the extraction location to be revealed, hide/wait out the timer, launch rockets into the back of the heli, get on heli, take data drives from the bodies, wait out the last couples seconds, trophy pop.

I had to use a VPN as there was literally never a single person playing this in my region. My friend and I did this at 500 ping each and managed to extract 90% of the time with a streak of something around 15 at one point until we finished every hazard trophy. Only annoying part is hoping the rest of your team doesn't die and gets on the helicopter when you do if you're needing clean extract.

2 people is best for this as one of us would severely damage them, and the second launcher would knock/kill everyone.

Edited by Riiszk

On 4/9/2023 at 5:02 AM, RRDude_PBB said:

Nope. As a console gamer you do NOT want to go against PC players, even if you have several on your team. Mouse/keyboard gives them a massive advantage over joypads and you'll have a hard time staying alive. When I started HZ I had cross-play on to find matches faster and couldn't reach a single extraction during the first 10+ matches. Then I turned it off and what do you know, got extraction straight away. As I kept playing it became pretty obvious how much more even battles with "console only" gamers are. I'd rather wait a few minutes to find a match where I actually have a chance than waste time with PC players again

1st - This was an answer to someone not finding any games in HZ.

It is mostly explained by the fact that cross-play ON is default setting and the average PS+ subscriber will not fiddle with that when starting the game. Being free on PS+ allowed the game to gain a bigger player base, so cross-play OFF might be a viable option for some modes, momentarily at least. 

For HZ, I tried cross-play OFF and after ~10 mins I still had no game going. With cross-play ON, it's a ~2 min max queue anytime of the day.

2nd - I agree and disagree on this.

Yes Mouse/Keyboard allows for some better accuracy/response but not all PC players are god tier. Plenty of them are not any different than anyone on console. I played over 25 hours of HZ with cross-play ON and I didn't feel this was frequent issue.

The in-game tutorial not being efficient at all and consequently ppl playing the mode poorly, i.e. getting themselves or the team killed for no good reason or leaving the game as soon as they died/not waiting for a redeployment, were much bigger/frequent issues. 

I also found that matchmaking could be problematic. The game starts when a threshold (# of players) is attained but because of an odd number of players or players leaving during match preparations, you could end up starting a match in a squad of only 2-3 players (even sometimes alone...). That is a huge disadvantage when going against 4-players squad in a mode like HZ.