The Story of my Life (Not Really), As Told by the Platinums I’ve Earned in the Last Eight Years [Working Title]

Cave Johnson

Love to see that you finally set up a checklist. ? 

Interesting to hear about the timeframe that you became a weeb within; my "moment of weebening" is such an old event that you can probably find records of it in cave paintings, so it's interesting to hear an account from more recent times.

Also interesting to see what your thoughts were years ago on games that I'm just now getting around to, as well as games I'll be getting to eventually - like Sega Hard Girls and 4GO.

I'll be back to read the other half when you finally post it.

Edited by AihaLoveleaf
Typo
  • Like 3

Nice. Cool to see Cave starting his own checklist. =D

That MRP thread is quite an endless void, isn't it? That's why I often opt to post my stuff through status updates instead. And chronicling everything back is quite a pain. I reckon that's part of the reason why I chose to keep my checklist dead instead, lol. I would rather focus on what's to come for the time being.

I noticed you have something interesting going on here while recounting your platinum experience in some of these games. As in, what you wrote about them then, and what you wrote now. Granted, only a few of them had this, but I thought about mentioning it here because I found it amusing. I didn't read all the entries, but I did find some interesting tidbits here and there as I went over the whole thing. For example, I can see your start with the Tales of Xillia games (which I've yet to play the second entry), Time & Eternity being ass (it was! So much potential flushed down the toilet, literally), your time with Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax (that score attack and time trial were, indeed, the hardest parts of that game), Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky's tumbleweed (lol), you enjoying the Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online spinoff (I also went through that one not too long and it was damn solid), your grind complaining on SK: Peach Beach Splash (which was grindy, but I still enjoyed that one a good deal for what it was, you know. I wouldn't mind the devs revisiting that idea), and Bullet Girls clothes-killing antics (totally sounds like my kind of game!).

But yeah, this looks like a fun checklist to follow. Will look forward to any future posts from you here. Cheers!

• Like 2

Cool stuff. Some people were fortunate enough to start these checklists early in their account's life, but most of us started several years in. You're actually starting with twice as many platinums as I did, so I can only imagine how hard it is to have to go back and try to figure out where your mindset was at the time you were earning them. I think grouping them together makes the most sense.

I like seeing the Atelier stacks. Deep down, I think we're all weebs.

• Like 2

Man, this is shaping up to be a hell of a checklist! Nice work so far - love the layout!

I know how much of a mountain it can feel like you are getting ready to climb, starting one of these so far into the life of a profile ?

… but there’s only one way to climb a mountain, and that’s one step at a time!

• Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 11:56 AM, AihaLoveleaf said:

Interesting to hear about the timeframe that you became a weeb within; my "moment of weebening" is such an old event that you can probably find records of it in cave paintings, so it's interesting to hear an account from more recent times.

Also interesting to see what your thoughts were years ago on games that I'm just now getting around to, as well as games I'll be getting to eventually - like Sega Hard Girls and 4GO.

Back when I first played Akiba's Trip, I never would've imagined that about seven and half years later I'd walk the same streets that are in the game; it's crazy how things can change. Regarding that there are quite a few details I've yet to add, but that will come eventually. There's a lot more details and commentary I'd like to add in general, especially to some of the older stuff I wrote. I'll probably focus on that once I finish archiving everything up to 150.

On 4/7/2023 at 1:11 PM, Honor_Hand said:

I noticed you have something interesting going on here while recounting your platinum experience in some of these games. As in, what you wrote about them then, and what you wrote now. Granted, only a few of them had this, but I thought about mentioning it here because I found it amusing. I didn't read all the entries, but I did find some interesting tidbits here and there as I went over the whole thing. For example, I can see your start with the Tales of Xillia games (which I've yet to play the second entry), Time & Eternity being ass (it was! So much potential flushed down the toilet, literally), your time with Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax (that score attack and time trial were, indeed, the hardest parts of that game), Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky's tumbleweed (lol), you enjoying the Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online spinoff (I also went through that one not too long and it was damn solid), your grind complaining on SK: Peach Beach Splash (which was grindy, but I still enjoyed that one a good deal for what it was, you know. I wouldn't mind the devs revisiting that idea), and Bullet Girls clothes-killing antics (totally sounds like my kind of game!).

Going back and commenting on what I wrote previously seemed like a funny idea to me, so I'm glad it could be entertaining in some way. Eventually, I'll have something written for almost every game, but that's still a work in progress. Weirdly enough, I never wrote anything the second time I platinumed Atelier Escha & Logy, which is why I put the tumbleweed gif as a sort of joke/placeholder. Bullet Girls is pretty good, but the first two games are only in Japanese on Vita and might be expensive to import these days (I'm not sure). While I haven't played it yet myself, the third game (Phantasia) is also on PS4 and has a version with English subtitles though. 

6 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Cool stuff. Some people were fortunate enough to start these checklists early in their account's life, but most of us started several years in. You're actually starting with twice as many platinums as I did, so I can only imagine how hard it is to have to go back and try to figure out where your mindset was at the time you were earning them. I think grouping them together makes the most sense.

I like seeing the Atelier stacks.

There was always the option to start earlier, but I do have a bad habit of procrastinating, so this is how it ended up. Thankfully I at least wrote a few sentences for most of these platinums a long time ago. Without that, I'd be really lost on where to begin with all of this. 

I own the DX versions of the Mysterious trilogy, so I'll also be adding Firis and Lydie & Suelle to the list one day. I can't seem to keep up with this series anymore though; I'm only about halfway through Ryza 2 right now, and I don't even own Sophie 2 yet. 

7 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Deep down, I think we're all weebs.

Perhaps, but to what extent that's true, I'm not sure. In my case, playing a lot of Japanese games resulted in me deciding to major in Japanese, and here I am now, taking my fourth semester of the main language class. I think most people don't end up going to that extent, lol. 

6 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Man, this is shaping up to be a hell of a checklist! Nice work so far - love the layout!

I know how much of a mountain it can feel like you are getting ready to climb, starting one of these so far into the life of a profile 1f630.png

… but there’s only one way to climb a mountain, and that’s one step at a time!

I thought it looked bland in its current state, so I'm glad to hear that. Maybe at some point I'll add some fancy banners; that's not a priority right now though. From what I've noticed, people are more likely to read something with eye-catching images, or at least in my case that's true lol. I feel like I'm more likely to read through someone's post in the Most Recent Platinum thread if there's a screenshot of the game and/or platinum. 

It would be less of a big deal if it were simply a matter of copy and pasting everything, but I end up having to reformat a lot of it, and putting spoiler boxes inside of spoiler boxes that then go in more spoiler boxes can get tiresome. I suppose it's a good thing that I didn't keep up my original pace of earning platinums—had I done that I might've had well over 200 platinums to write about by now. 

• Like 4