Monster Catching

Ok so i have started to go around all the areas at the beginning of the game and catching 10 of each monster. I have come across some stupidly rare monsters that just take forever to find.

One of these being the Simurgh on the Djose Highroad, that took me about an hour and a half to catch 10 of them, and secondly is the stupid tonberry in the Sunken Cave, i must have had about 250 battles in here now and im only on 8, the last one i found was about 40 battles ago, and 25 of those battles were the stupid Magic Pot!!!

Anyone else having difficulty?

Ok so i have started to go around all the areas at the beginning of the game and catching 10 of each monster. I have come across some stupidly rare monsters that just take forever to find.

One of these being the Simurgh on the Djose Highroad, that took me about an hour and a half to catch 10 of them, and secondly is the stupid tonberry in the Sunken Cave, i must have had about 250 battles in here now and im only on 8, the last one i found was about 40 battles ago, and 25 of those battles were the stupid Magic Pot!!!

Anyone else having difficulty?

Yes!  It seems like some monsters are rare for no apparent reason.  I had a ridiculous time finding Ogres on the Calm Lands.  Then I got 10 Master Tonberrys before I even have 1 of every other enemy in Omega Ruins?  The Ipiria on Mi'ihen was like one in every ten battles for me...  It's a little frustrating because of how random it is.  I read somewhere that if you save and restart the game, the randomization is reset and you may find what you are looking for.  Good luck to you and I feel your pain!

3 minutes per encounter is not too bad

Have you ever played FXII? Defeat +200 Bombs in order to spawn 1 Ghost at the Crystal Caves, with a drop rate of 1/256. It took me 24 hours straight to collect a special Dagger from this Ghost and you are not allowed to save in between or break your chain. FFX is peanuts compared to other FF games.

A good tip: farm your 10 kills at the lower XP levels so you won't have to go through this later on when you don't need any XP anymore.

I had an issue with the Simurgh too (what the hell is a Simurgh, sounds like some kind of arty European techno-musician).

I suppose it is really useful either way to grind like this because of all the other things it helps with residually:

1. AP to fill up the Sphere Grid
  2. Tonnes of spheres to build up your Aeons
  3. Tonnes of Gil to bribe monsters in the monster arena - buy the music spheres for the trophy - lots of money for Yojimbo etc
  4. Lots of opportunities to steal lots and lots of items - 99 phoenix downs - 99 mega potions etc
  • Like 1

There's actually a bit of a trick to getting the monster your looking for. The monsters you encounter are randomized when you load up your game. So, if you haven't run into what you are looking for within 10 or so battles, just save and reload your file, and the monsters will be randomized again. With any luck, the monster you want will have a higher encounter rate.

The only exceptions are Simurgh(you just have to be in sunlight to encounter), Quactar(only appears after you've prayed to at least one cactuar stone, and appear more the more stones you've prayed to), Cactuars(which are rare everywhere except in the Cactuar village after clearing the Cactuar side-quest), and the certain fiends only appear in certain areas in the Calm Lands and Omega Temple(Like how Marlboro only appears in the northwest of the Calm Lands). Everything else is randomized and is based on that invisible value you get when you load up your game.

• Like 1