Foamstars (PlayStation 5 & PlayStation 4 - February 6th, 2024) - New multiplayer "party shooter" from Square Enix

blue_blur_98

https://blog.playstation.com/2023/05/24/foamstars-a-fresh-new-party-shooter-revealed-for-ps5-and-ps4/

Revealed at today's PlayStation Showcase, Foamstars is a new "party shooter" published by Square Enix and developed by Toylogic.

The game involves 4v4 team battles where instead of firing bullets, your guns fire soapy foam around the battlefield which can be used as new terrain that you can take advantage of in several ways.

Gameplay footage can be seen in the trailer, and more information about how the game plays can be seen in the PlayStation Blog post, both linked above.

The game will release on both PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 on February 6th, 2024.

Edited by blue_blur_98
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Foamstars was featured at the Summer Game Fest Play Days event, with a playable demo available for those who attended to try out. As a result, some preview pieces have rolled out, recounting the gameplay experience. It seems like the people who have played it have generally positive things to say about the title.

The preview by Gamereactor UK goes into detail about its "Smash the Star" game mode, while also noting its gameplay differences from Splatoon - it seems like Foamstars is closer to a traditional hero shooter where the focus is on taking out your opponents rather than claiming the most territory. Gaming Trend's preview is much of the same. Push Square's preview is the most noteworthy; not only does it go into more detail about how the game plays than other previews, but it explicitly confirms that Foamstars will feature a single-player campaign mode - it is not just an online multiplayer affair as you'd probably assume.

Additionally, Square Enix has posted a look at the game's current roster of playable characters via the @foamstarsgame Twitter account:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

https://blog.playstation.com/2023/09/14/foamstars-open-beta-party-launches-this-month-heres-everything-you-need-to-know/

Announced at today's State of Play showcase alongside a new trailer, Foamstars will be getting an open beta test later this month. All PlayStation 5 owners, regardless of PlayStation Plus membership status, will be able to participate in the network test and get a chance to play the game before its release date, with two game modes and eight playable characters available to participants. Those who participate in the open beta will also get a cosmetic item in the full game when it is released.

While Foamstars does not have a release date yet, it has been given the release window of early 2024.

• 3 months later...

As stated by the @foamstarsgame Twitter/X account, new information about Foamstars will be disclosed on January 16th, 2024.

No other details on what's actually getting announced that day have been shared, but it's easy to assume that it'll likely be a new trailer, probably including a release date (since it's supposedly going to release in a few months time, unless it's getting delayed).

• 4 weeks later...

The new information regarding this game has been released this morning as promised, in the form of a new trailer. This video announces that the game will release on February 6th, 2024 for PS4 and PS5, and will also launch day one as a PlayStation Plus monthly free game for February (after which it will normally retail for $30).

A post has also been released on the PlayStation Blog going into further detail about the game's modes, both previously known and newly-revealed ones:

https://blog.playstation.com/2024/01/16/foamstars-launches-as-a-playstation-plus-monthly-game-on-feb-6/

• 3 weeks later...

One last trailer before launch (probably), this one showcasing what players can expect to see in the game's first season. There will be new characters, skins, maps, events and other content added to the game on a regular basis, with a new season being introduced every five weeks.

I look forward to playing Foamstars. I love multiplayer games and I think this one is looking good. Splatoon is amazing and I'm cheering for this Splatoon clone, even though I'm amused with the fact that the devs don't want comparisons with that game, according to IGN's video of February releases. I hope this turns out more like a Fall Guys success than the fate of Destruction AllStars which was forgotten due to a bad live service implementation. Time will tell but I'm optimistic.

GravityQueeen.png

• Like 1