A Few General Questions

LegendExeter

1. Is there any area of the game that is a good "starting place" to learn the basics or most commonly used controls or moves in the game?

I feel like sometimes I'm like, just do a layup and it won't do it.  Or just slam it, I'm right there, and it pulls up a 1 and 1/2 ft jumper.

2. What's the deal with My Team mode, what is my goal here?  Clearly to get experience and level up to get the trophies related to that, yet can someone explain the card values to me? Meaning Diamond, Dark Matter, Opal Galaxy, and what the hell difference it makes in having a Dark Matter vs. having a Diamond?  Are better card ratings simply going to "play better" or make more shots?

3. I tried for the 4 for 4 trophy this weekend with a 97 ranked Geddy with A+ for 3 Pointers and couldn't make a single 1, do I need special shoes to increase my rate of making 3 pointers in the game, which seem seriously low percentage shots at all times with all players?  Or do I need to wait until I get a high quality Stephen Curry or Steve Kerr in order to get that trophy knocked out?

4. What's the deal with My Career, similar to 2, what is my goal here?  To basically slowly improve my character/player over time so that he gets stat increases?  I get VC while in Career mode, yet it seems important for My Team in buying packs, yet the modes seem completely separate so I don't understand why they are giving rewards like that.  If I play good my rank goes up during a game, if I play bad, the opposite occurs, if I don't get better at the game then the B- rank I think I got after a game I played, can my character actually get progressively worse "rating overall" wise?  Career mode has a lot of trophies related to basically quality of play, like points, triple doubles etc, yet indifference to my team and just getting better cards over time, what is the progression here?  Just keep playing and eventually my player will get better and better?

What is the longer grind, My Team or My Career?  Perhaps I'm not seeing how My Career can be cheesed with sliders if I'm playing Online opponents.

5. How do I get the Million Followers?  Is that just something you get over time naturally in Career mode, or special circumstances to increase this?

6. How do I equip a vehicle?

A lot there but a few answers.

My Team - yes, players with better ratings (higher color cards) perform better.  You can see all of their individual stats - 3-point shooting, rebounding, speed with ball, etc, etc.  Make sure you are moving to the rim (left stick) when you release the shot to get a layup or dunk attempt.

My Career.  Focus on assists, points (good shot selection), rebounds etc. while, avoiding turnovers, bad (contested) shot selections.  Then you use your hard-earned VC to buy attributes that level up the stats of your created player.  Your grades you get in game only affect the VC you earn and your playing time. You need to go to the menu to buy the attributes (and don’t forget to apply the badges you earned) to actually make your player better.

Don’t waste your VC in MyTeam, you get very little out of packs.  Flip cards (learn player prices and find opportunities to buy low, then sell for a profit) to get MT coins and use the auction market to target who you want.  Avoid packs.  

You are probably missing your shots with your 97-rated player because the defense is playing tightly.  Giving him 3-pointer shoes will help a little but you need to free him up for open looks, either off the dribble or pass.

I think you equip a vehicle with L1 (could be L2 or L3, I forget).  They give you a skateboard for free to get around the city faster.  Sometimes they give away free vehicles like the recent Lego promo,

• Like 2

For the 4 for 4 trophy, you'll want to take advantage of some badges.

Do a step back to create space and then shoot if the card has Agent 3. Or catch and shoot works too if they have that badge. You'll need to time it well as well.

You might find it easier to Player Lock (L3 when you select the card) in Clutch Time so you only have to worry about 1 players timing.

1 million followers will likely be the last MyCareer trophy you'll need. You'll need to perform dunks, blocks, score lots to earn additional fans. It's the last trophy I need for the PS4 version, and I'm only on 350k fans.

Edited by kevinyang82
  • Like 1

Yeah so we all just got that 99 Dark Matter Stephen Curry card for My Team.  I tried it out the other day, without badges or any shoes on him and I couldn't make even one.  I kind of find it bizarre, like I get it's a long shot but someone like Steph Curry would have a good chance of making these in real life, let alone a video game where I'm giving him the ball over and over to have a chance at it.  I don't get why it's as low percentage of a shot as it is.

Those End Game cards have ridiculously quick shot metres. Basically makes them unblockable, but you need to get used to his timing and also without screwing up your timing with the other cards.

At this point of MyTeam, realisim is out the window. Wembenyama who just went pick #1 last week, already has an Invincible card.

• Like 1

I honestly would have thought that a Dark Matter or Galaxy Opal would be some balling card, yet apparently not.  I could obviously add some shoes, and use some badges to help myself out there, and will let you know.

I do agree that timing is the thing that really throws me off in the game.  The worst is with the free throws where I'm playing My Team and not paying attention to who is at the line, and my forwards aren't as great, so I might miss one due to poor timing.  Then my center will get followed and this guy is like guaranteed so the meter is going really slowly, yet in my mind I'm remembering the last shot I missed so I hit early and miss again because I wasn't expecting that.  Regular Field Goal Shooting and 3 pointers are one thing, but I wish for Free Throws on a team that they took the conglomerate or aggregate of all your players OVR and just said...example:...ok your team is a 92 or an 89, therefore your free throw timer is based off an 89 or 92 player with average Free Throw shooting time based on your scores.  It would have made a lot more sense,and with weaker players, yeah you might miss a few, however free throws are generally speaking one of the highest percentage shots in the game.

I get what your saying that realism is going out the window, yet...it is basically like a basketball simulator with real players so I wish they were a little more accurate on what players can and cannot do, rather than an inflated OVR score that doesn't always mean the player plays well, example Steph Curry's unblockable shooting.  It's good to be unblockable, yet would be great if he could actually make the shots to.

On 6/26/2023 at 11:46 AM, LegendExeter said:

1. Is there any area of the game that is a good "starting place" to learn the basics or most commonly used controls or moves in the game?

I feel like sometimes I'm like, just do a layup and it won't do it.  Or just slam it, I'm right there, and it pulls up a 1 and 1/2 ft jumper.

2. What's the deal with My Team mode, what is my goal here?  Clearly to get experience and level up to get the trophies related to that, yet can someone explain the card values to me? Meaning Diamond, Dark Matter, Opal Galaxy, and what the hell difference it makes in having a Dark Matter vs. having a Diamond?  Are better card ratings simply going to "play better" or make more shots?

3. I tried for the 4 for 4 trophy this weekend with a 97 ranked Geddy with A+ for 3 Pointers and couldn't make a single 1, do I need special shoes to increase my rate of making 3 pointers in the game, which seem seriously low percentage shots at all times with all players?  Or do I need to wait until I get a high quality Stephen Curry or Steve Kerr in order to get that trophy knocked out?

If you want to dunk instead of lay-up, holding R2 while pressing the shot button (and moving left stick toward the basket) is a good method, as long as your character has good height/dunk rating/badges - which most do at this stage.

Card ratings generally make the card better at everything - 3pt shooting, defense, speed etc. 2k will sometimes try to trick you by buffing worthless stats to give the card a higher overall rating. Early in the year it's not uncommon to see cards rated 95-96 overall that aren't any better than ones rated 90. But badges are even more important, especially ones related to shooting and defense. At this stage of the year pretty much any card has perfect badges and stats though, so it isn't something to worry about.

Giddey isn't a great choice for shooting if you are new to 2k. Yes he has an "A+" rating, but his actual 3pt value is only an 89, and he's missing many of the key shooting badges like limitless range, and deadeye, while most of his other shooting badges are only on gold tier instead of hall of fame. The key to 4 pters is to try to be right on the line and do it from a standing shot, not leaning or fading away from the basket. Also, do it during your first 10 clutch time offline games in a season - these are on a very low difficulty where almost any shot should go in unless the defender is right on top of you when you try to shoot.

Look around in the options for "Real Player Percentage" on free throws if they are giving you trouble. In the last few 2ks this has been an option but I don't know if it is this year. With how high everyone's free throw rating is this time of the year it will almost always result in a make and all you have to do is press the shoot button. If it is in the game it's probably disabled for online modes though.

• Like 1

On 27/06/2023 at 1:46 AM, LegendExeter said:

What is the longer grind, My Team or My Career?  Perhaps I'm not seeing how My Career can be cheesed with sliders if I'm playing Online opponents.

I just started MyTeam Unlimited with a bunch of random Dark Matter cards. I'm not very good at it, but If you lose and are competitive during the game, you get roughly ~110 points or ~230 points if you win but the game is close. As far as I know, you need 6000 points for Threepio! :silver: and ~19,000 points for Déjà Vu :gold:. Without boosting, and assuming you lose every single game, you're looking at playing at least 160 games with 5 minute quarters. If you know there is no way you'll be able to beat your opponent e.g. they have Wembanyama, Bol Bol, Abdul-Jabbar at SF, Jokic playing PG, Kevin Garnett playing SG etc etc... then your main goal is to finish the game as fast as possible. Don't commit any fouls, run down the clock, basically let the other player win without stopping the clock too often. You will still get points if you lose. (You could close the app, but you wont get any points for this, and I'm not sure if this prevents your account from being timed-out or banned)

The other MyTeam trophy, Level Up :bronze: is actually quite shorter. You can get it done in ~20 days if you continuously buy cheap cards, do their challenges, and then resell those same cards, rinse and repeat. Do the daily, weekly and weekend events, and even if you start this late into the season, there's way more than enough chances to gain EXP.

As for the MyCareer trophies, you do not need to play against any online opponents. Everything can be acquired solo using the lowest difficulty settings, however I suggest you turn the difficulty up to superstar for Second Chance :silver: as your teammates will never miss a shot on the lower difficulties, which will prevent you from getting 5 offensive rebounds.

The longest grind in MyCareer will be Follow Me On... :silver:. I'm only managing around 15,000 fans per game as a starter playing 5 minute quarters in my second year. That's around 65-70 games to get 1 million fans. I'm sure there is a better way to increase those numbers, so you may be able to get it in less games.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LegendExeter said:

What do I do with the MT points you get?

It's an in-game currency of MyTeam mode. You can buy stuff for your team like players, playbooks etc for it on auctions, you can also grade cards or buy packs (last one being not really best investment if I'm honest).

12 hours ago, Roundtoad said:

The other MyTeam trophy, Level Up :bronze: is actually quite shorter. You can get it done in ~20 days if you continuously buy cheap cards, do their challenges, and then resell those same cards, rinse and repeat. Do the daily, weekly and weekend events, and even if you start this late into the season, there's way more than enough chances to gain EXP.

So basically you are saying get a card that has those card evolution challenges, do them, thus upgrading the card, then sell the card and go look for other cards to buy?

On 6/27/2023 at 1:10 AM, kevinyang82 said:

For the 4 for 4 trophy, you'll want to take advantage of some badges.

Do a step back to create space and then shoot if the card has Agent 3. Or catch and shoot works too if they have that badge. You'll need to time it well as well.

Today there was a 4th of July locker code.  I used it, dropped the plinko ball on the right side got an Invincible Lemo Ball, didn't put any shoes or badges on as I assumed they had all or most of them, and got the trophy in 1 game.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LegendExeter said:

So basically you are saying get a card that has those card evolution challenges, do them, thus upgrading the card, then sell the card and go look for other cards to buy?

Nah they are not Evolution cards. If you look at Home>Season 8>Season Agendas in MyTeam, there are certain cards that have associated challenges tied to them, they are usually part of a series such as End Game, Heatwave, Encore, Invincible etc. Completing these challenges earns you between 3000xp to 5000xp. It's best to look for these cards in the auction house, starting with the cheap ones first. Then, after completing the challenge, resell the card for new ones, rinse and repeat. Most, if not all of these challenges do not require you to play against online opponents. You can complete them playing Domination or Offline Triple Threat. You will earn MT as you complete these challenges which will allow you to buy higher priced cards so long as you continue to resell the ones you have completed the challenges for.

PSA: There is currently an event going on where you can earn Dark Matter cards daily by completing basic challenges. This is a good chance to fill out your Unlimited team if you are lacking.

10 hours ago, Roundtoad said:

Nah they are not Evolution cards. If you look at Home>Season 8>Season Agendas in MyTeam, there are certain cards that have associated challenges tied to them, they are usually part of a series such as End Game, Heatwave, Encore, Invincible etc. Completing these challenges earns you between 3000xp to 5000xp. It's best to look for these cards in the auction house, starting with the cheap ones first. Then, after completing the challenge, resell the card for new ones, rinse and repeat. Most, if not all of these challenges do not require you to play against online opponents. You can complete them playing Domination or Offline Triple Threat. You will earn MT as you complete these challenges which will allow you to buy higher priced cards so long as you continue to resell the ones you have completed the challenges for.

PSA: There is currently an event going on where you can earn Dark Matter cards daily by completing basic challenges. This is a good chance to fill out your Unlimited team if you are lacking.

Good call Roundtoad, I didn't know if I would get those cards from other challenges this season, it sounds like IF I had been playing in the past I might already have them; which I don't.  So I will go to the Auction and target some of those cards to get those challenges done.

Yeah I noticed several other challenges to, like Win a game with 5 Celtic players, and I'm like...I don't even have 5 Celtic players, let alone all the ones for the correct positions.  I imagine I will have to try and snag some cheap cards to get some of those challenges done, and then try to resell them.