Immortality, a game from Sam Barlow

dimonemt

I feel like this game did not capture a lot of attention here, and while nominated for numerous awards, it flew under the radar of every major Youtuber/Twitch streamer.

It's currently out on Steam and Xbox Series X. Fingers crossed that Playstation 5 version coming later this year.

A mystery solving FMV game, where your task as a player is to figure out the fate of an actress Marissa Marcel.

Here is a shot from ingame menu, which premises the game and gives a player a better understanding of what this is all about.

20230628211507_1.jpeg

This is definitely not a game for everyone, but if you feel interested, i could not recommend it enough.

Review-1.png

Review-2.jpeg

Lastly, if you are interested, please do not watch any reviews for this game! I haven't found a single one yet from a major outlet that did not spoil the whole thing.

Edited by dimonemt
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, dimonemt said:

I feel like this game did not capture a lot of attention here,

3 hours ago, dimonemt said:

It's currently out on Steam and Xbox Series X. Fingers crossed that Playstation 5 version coming later this year.

I feel like you answered your own question, except you didn't actually ask a question.  If the game isn't on Playstation, it's not super likely to get much mention here, on a Playstation based site

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

If the game isn't on Playstation, it's not super likely to get much mention here, on a Playstation based site

Agree, and still there was only one mention about it on the whole forum. Way less then Vampire Survivors or Ori for example, both of which have at least a page of mentions in forums search results.

• Like 1

Funny you should bring up this game as something came out in the FTC-Microsoft court case which mentioned it.

• The last game covered by the Sony ABK CoD contract is a Call of Duty title to be released in late 2023

• Modern Warfare 2 (2022) sold 4.4 million units on PlayStation in its first week

• PlayStation users that play Call of Duty generated an annual platform spending of around $15.9 (or could be $13.9) billion worldwide from 2019 to 2021

• In 2021, over 1 million PlayStation players only played Call of Duty on their PlayStation and nothing else. 6 million PlayStation gamers spent 70% of their time only playing Call of Duty.

• Horizon Forbidden West development took 5 years. Starting in 2017 and releasing in 2022. It cost $212 million to develop with a headcount of over 300 full time employees.

• Last of us part 2 took longer to develop, 70 (i think it says that) months to develop starting in 2014 and ending in 2020. Headcount peaked at around 200 full time employees. It cost $220 million to develop.

• SIE's data shows that CoD is the largest third-party franchise for SIE, generating $873 million in United States spending in 2021.

• Microsoft and SIE both made competing bids for Valheim and Immortality to have those games on their subscription services. Microsoft won both bids.

• Sony typically does not require subscription exclusivity for games included on PS Plus. Microsoft often requires day one Game Pass titles to not be made available on competing subscription services.

• Less than 20% of PS5 owners also own an Xbox Series X/S in the United States

• Almost half of PS5 owners own a Nintendo Switch in the US.

• 34% (?) of SIE's revenue comes from the sale of PlayStation consoles & accessories.

• On third-party games, the amount SIE typically receives would be the margin between the retail price SIE charges on the PlayStation store and the wholesale price negotiated with the publisher. Typically, this margin is 10%.

Microsoft paid to not have this game on PlayStation. Not there is anything wrong with that of course, but Microsoft and their agents have long claimed that this is something they do not do.

4 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Funny you should bring up this game as something came out in the FTC-Microsoft court case which mentioned it

I've said before that Immortality is my Game of the Year 2022. I want more people to know that there is such a game, and that it deserves their attention. It's that good. As for the exclusivity, i'm not surprised that Barlow was shopping around for a better deal. The actors themselves acknowledged spending a lot of time with him initially, trying to understand what the game was actually about. The game's production values, locations, sets, costumes, soundtrack, props, an original 90s style song etc. are very well done and probably cost a small fortune. The filming alone took 3 full months to complete. Immortality would probably not exist, but for it's current exclusivity. My only fear is about the terms of said deal. I hope this game is not shackled to PC/Xbox forever.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 1:18 PM, dimonemt said:

As for the exclusivity, i'm not surprised that Barlow was shopping around for a better deal. 

I'm not certain it's the better deal.  Unless MS dropped a serious bag of cash on him, he sold to the smaller platform and may have doomed himself to obscurity.

Knowing MS, it's probably a 10yr deal ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

I'm not certain it's the better deal.  Unless MS dropped a serious bag of cash on him, he sold to the smaller platform and may have doomed himself to obscurity.

From what I've heard on the internet from people in the know (mainly Jason Schreier), between taking the bag and risking flopping, indie developers tend to choose the bag. The offer may not be the best, but it's guaranteed money. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...