1987 TMNT series coming to Nickelodeon

Pirelli913

The year was 1987. A five-year-old me was bundled up inside wearing pajamas and sitting down to watch a new five-part miniseries spread out over five days in December. Then that electric guitar slide starting what would be an iconic theme song kicked in and little did I know would start my craze into being a huge TMNT fan.

I loved the original cartoon. After that original five-part miniseries aired in December 1987, they decided to make it into a full series premiering in 1988 and I'd watch it everyday after school. Last year, a friend actually gifted me the entire series with all 193 episodes on over 20 discs in a DVD box set so I can watch them whenever I want.

But for those who can't...

https://www.ign.com/articles/original-1987-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-series-to-hit-nickelodeon

The original cartoon was my childhood growing up. However, I'll be honest, while I loved it as a child, I was blinded by nostalgia as an adult. In my opinion, the show doesn't really hold up today. I much prefer 2003 over 1987, which is funny because I initially didn't give 2003 a chance because it wasn't MY childhood. But the stories do more closely resemble the original graphic novels co-created by Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird in 1984.

Kevin is still heavily active with TMNT and I've met him twice. He truly enjoys his fans. The first time I met him, I thanked him for creating my childhood. He seemed genuinely touched by that and thanked me for giving him a job. Anyway, cowabunga!

• Like 2

Its cool that they are airing this show but i barely remember anything about this series as this show literally dissapeared from us airwaves after 1996(or whatever year usas cartoon express block ended) so i have more fond memories of the nes/snes games, the 2k3 series and the live action films then the actual 87 cartoon as unlike other 80s/90s cartoons i liked i never was able to process much about the actual show dispite remembering liking it as it was literally gone from the airwaves when i was 6(unlike say batman tas, gargoyles, animaniacs, ect. whice were reran well into the 2000s so i was able to watch those more often). understandably next mutation would have been the focus for the brand until 1998 but for almost 5 years the only tmnt airing on us tv was whenever tnt or some other network who aired a lot of films decided to air one of the first 3 live action films. I still think the 2k3 series was the best but its nice to see this show finally get reruns after 27 years of being off the air.

Loved this show as a kid, and the toys. Still remember the sewer and techno drone play sets haha they were awesome 

The box set that’s shaped like the turtle van is cool, definitely worth a buy even though in my opinion the show went downhill in the later seasons.

Edited by Mr_Fluffy_Pants_

• 1 month later...