Downpour Mini-Guide (Spoilers!)

Way_of_Tomoe

Hello! After spending around 200 hours to complete the DLC, here's a mini guide on how to get all the trophies. For the purpose of this write-up-- I'm going to assume you've already played the base game and are familiar with the locations and characters such as Five Pebbles and Big Sis Moon.

I'll be pretty much spoiling locations and story segments of the game so, if you're planning to play it blind (which I personally recommend), but want some sort of direction, here's an abridged version to help guide you--

A Helping Hand - As The Hunter-- deliver your package to either Pebbles or Moon.

Within Time - Finish the game as The Hunter by Ascending.

Migration - As The Gourmand-- head to Pebbles then go to a new location to finish the game.

Closure - As The Artificer-- head to Pebbles then go to a new location to finish the game.

An Old Friend - As The Rivulet-- head to Pebbles, grab a key item, show it to Moon, then go to a new location with the item to finish the game.

Messenger - As The Spear Master-- head to Pebbles, Receive an item, show it to Moon, head to specified location to finish the game.

The Cycle - As The Saint-- get your karma to max by finding Echoes then finish the game by Ascending.

Champion - Clear all 70 Arena Challenges

Expedition Leader - Complete all 75 Expedition Quests.

The Martyr - Starve yourself, then stuff yourself, then starve yourself... rinse, repeat.

The Nomad - Save at a different biome for 4 cycles.

The Pilgrim - Find all Echoes.

The Mother - Adopt a child and nurture it for several cycles.

Alright, from here on out there be spoilers!

Note before we begin: All the ending trophies can also be unlocked by simply ascending (thanks to user Vern3r0z for the confirmation). Keep in mind that this not necessarily faster nor easier, but it could be depending on how you want to approach each playthrough.

Use this Downpour map for Monk, Survivor, Hunter and Gourmand playthroughs (all credit goes to the Rain World Wiki)

Basic-Map.png

A Helping Hand and Within Time - Finish the game by ascending while delivering the green Neuron Fly to Five Pebbles or Looks to the Moon (either one will pop the trophy). You'll also need to meet Echoes to max out your karma since meeting Pebbles WILL NOT max it out automatically-- rather he will only give a boost like when you meet an Echo.

Here's my usual route whenever I play Hunter...

Farming Arrays > Sky Islands (get Echo) > Chimney Canopy (get Echo) > The Wall (get Echo) > Meet Pebbles (Karma now max) > The Wall > Underhang > Shaded Citadel > Shoreline (You can meet Moon and be nice if you want) > Subterranean > Depths (End)

Note: The 19 cycle time limit might seem daunting, but it's actually pretty lenient. Still, if you're having difficulties, you can increase the limit in the cheat menu. You can also utilize cloud saves in order not to restart runs when you make mistakes.

Migration -  Finish the game as The Gourmand by heading to the far end of the Outer Expanse (Journey's End). You'll need to go to Five Pebbles first so that he can unlock the gate there.

Fun fact: Heading to Journey's End as the Survivor will unlock an alternate ending for them.

Note: The Gourmand has an optional quest where you need to eat different kinds of food. These are the icons above your hunger bar-- the glowing icon is a clue on what you should eat next, but you can eat food in any order. Finishing this quest will reward you with different ending and is the normal way of unlocking Slugpups. If you intend to do this make sure you finish your list before heading to the Outer Expanse, as backtracking from there can be really annoying.

Here's the list of foods you need to eat:

Closure - My personal favorite of the new Slugcats (especially if you hate Scavengers as much as I do). You need to finish the game by killing the Scavenger King in Metropolis. The entrance to Metropolis is beside the room of Six Grains of Gravel, Mountains Abound echo in the Wall. You need to speak to Pebbles first to unlock the gate.

Note: If you're having difficulties with the Scavenger King, a good strategy is staying on the right side of the room. There's a lot of spears there and ample amounts of cover. Head to the fight with food in your stomach so you can coat the spears and rocks with explosive.

Artificer-Map.png

An Old Friend - Your first order of business is to head to Moon. You can show her the pearl you carry for some lore, but the main reason doing this is to have a fast travel point for later. Now, head to Pebbles-- his area is now significantly different and much more difficult. He will then direct you to take his Rarefaction Cell and give it to Moon. Take the item and fast travel to Moon who will direct you to the Submerged Superstructure nearby to reactivate her. Doing this and returning to her will end the campaign and pop the trophy.

Note: Despite what the game tells you, you cannot really breathe underwater. You can just hold your breath for a long time. You will eventually drown if you stay underwater for long enough.

Rivulet-map-transparent.png

Messenger - Head to Pebbles and he will extract a pearl from your body. Show this pearl to Moon who will instruct you to take it to the Communications Array in the Sky Islands. Just fast travel there to get the ending and the trophy pop. Use the map below to navigate Moon's map.

Spearmaster-Map.png

The Cycle - You need to "ascend" as The Saint. You start with very low karma so you'll need to locate Echoes to max it out. At max karma you'll learn the ability to ascend which allows you to kill nearly every enemy in the game in one hit (also you can fly now). You'll need to use this against the guardians in the Rubicon (Depths) in order to proceed. Try it on the Iterators too :)

The names of areas are changed in The Saint's campaign, but here's the route I used:

Windswept Spires (Sky Islands) (get Echo) > Solitary Tower (Chimney Canopy) (get Echo, but don't save on the way here so you get sent back to Windswept Spires) > Desolate Fields (Farm Arrays) > Primordial Underground (Subterranean) (get Echo, don't save on the way so you get sent back to Desolate Fields) > Desolate Fields (get Echo) > Suburban Drifts (Outskirts) > Icy Monument (Industrial Complex) > Frosted Cathedral / Silent Construct (Shaded Citadel and Five Pebbles combined) (get Echo-- see map) > Frigid Coast (Shoreline / Looks to the Moon) (get Echo-- see map) > Glacial Wasteland (Garbage Wastes) > Undergrowth (Drainage System) (get Echo-- see map) (max karma and Pilgrim Trophy pop if you haven't gotten it yet) > Ancient Labyrinth (Filtration System) > Rubicon (Depths)

Saint-Map.png

Champion - Clear all 70 challenges in the Arena. These are unlocked as you finish campaigns and clear other challenges OR by simply enabling them in the cheats menu. I wont go in-depth with these since there's too many of them, and many of them are equally reliant with luck as much as skill. An advice I have would be to restart a challenge if enemy spawn and placements are not to your liking.

Challenge #70 most likely will be the biggest challenge for this trophy. Below is a video of me clearing the challenge if you want some idea of what you're up against.

Phases 1 to 3 are fairly easy.

Phase 1 - Just circle the room to avoid her lasers.

Phase 2 - Stay in the middle of the squares she summons to avoid her AoE.

Phase 3 - Circle around her while staying ahead of her lasers.

Phases 4 to 6 are when things get difficult.

Phase 4 - A combination of phases 1 and 2. A bit of luck is needed here to get a fairly good pattern of squares that are easy to avoid.

Phase 5 - Arguably the most difficult phase. Stay in the middle of the circle that is wide and moves fast. Eventually, it will become narrower, but moves slower. The trick here is using the Saint's flight ability as a brake. By pressing square and x, you will enter flight mode; if you do this when not moving the d-pad or analog stick, you will go to a complete stop. Using this, you can avoid colliding with the spheres especially when the circle gets narrower.

Phase 6 - The last phase-- this is easier than the previous one in my opinion. Electric spheres fill the top and bottom of the screen while lasers periodically run by the center. At the start, you can just stay at the left or right most side of the screen and you can avoid all the lasers. Eventually, the spheres will start moving, so you'll have to move around to avoid those too. The lasers will never move past the center of the screen, so you can keep that in mind when trying to avoid them.

If the fight is proving too difficult, you can always try playing with the assist menu in Remix. Slow down is particularly useful for this challenge.

Expedition Leader - Clear all Expedition Quests. In the Progress menu you will see 75 quests and their respective conditions to clear. You need to clear every single one of them including the 8 character specific missions for the trophy to pop. This will probably be the most time consuming trophy of the bunch.

- You should complete the mission "Nature's Friend" immediately. This will unlock the Karma Flower perk which is incredibly helpful for future runs.

- Finishing 2 expeditions as the Rivulet and reaching level 10 will unlock High Agility (increased movement speed) for all slugcats. Use this with the Gourmand and Spearmaster so you don't break your controller in frustration ?.

- Finishing 4 expeditions as the Artificer and reaching level 10 will unlock the fart jump from the Artificer for ALL slugcats. This is one of the most useful perks in this mode.

- Maps reset per expedition. So, even if you unlock the fast travel perk, you can't really just use it to blitz through areas.

- The Spearmaster mission "Apex Predator" might not be necessary for the trophy (?) since it doesn't really unlock anything. If someone can confirm this that would be amazing since this is one of the most difficult missions in the game. You do not need to clear the "Apex Predator" mission for the trophy (credit to user domoenic for confirming)

- When making custom expeditions, try to add objectives that compliment each other. For example, Visiting the Exterior Echo and Bringing the Metropolis pearl to Five Pebbles is perfect since they're right next to each other.

- When making custom expeditions, try to slot in hunting challenges as you go. You need to finish 20 of these and they can be a pain. "Kill points per cycle" challenges DO NOT count for these. The challenge must specify killing a specific creature to count.

- You're starting point is random so feel free to abandon an expedition if your objectives are too far away.

- To clear the 500 points quest, make a custom expedition with 5 challenges and hide 4 of them. Maybe add a burden if you're still short on points. Alternatively, refer to this post and this post for other methods (credit to user Cassylvania for the info).

- Cloud saves can be utilized and should be used as needed, especially on more difficult expeditions. Permadeath is a thing in this mode and losing hours of progress can be extremely frustrating (thanks to user Vern3r0z for suggesting)

The Martyr - You need to starve yourself for several cycles. By having at least one pip of food, but not enough to hibernate, hold down while inside a shelter to force yourself to hibernate and starve. You CANNOT starve two cycles in a row (this will result in death), so you'll have to alternate between starving , then eating fully, then starving again until you get the trophy.

The Nomad - Sleep in a different region for four cycles-- resting in the same region will reset progress.

My personal suggested route for this is, from Five Pebbles, The Wall, Chimney Canopy, Industrial Complex, Outskirts and Farm Arrays. You'll unlock this naturally while doing expeditions.

The Pilgrim - Find all Echoes. You can refer to the existing trophy guide for their locations. Keep in mind that other characters that have access to unique areas will have different Echoes not listed in the guide. You'll get this naturally by playing The Saint's campaign.

The Mother - Finishing The Gourmand's Food Subquest OR enabling them in the cheats menu will unlock Slugpups in The Survivor, The Hunter and The Gourmand's campaigns. They will start spawning in or around shelters randomly. To get this trophy you need to adopt a Slugpup (or three), feed and hibernate with them for a few cycles.

If I miss anything let me know. I'll update this as needed.

Good luck and happy hunting! ☺️

Edited by Way_of_Tomoe
  • Like 4

Awesome guide. I'd like to point out there's a way to manipulate the hidden challenges in Expedition Mode. The way the point system works, each challenge is worth a certain amount of points + 10% for every additional challenge (e.g. a challenge worth 50 points is worth five more points for each challenge on the list). Knowing this, you can force the hidden challenges to be something you like. I did this to get over 900 points per run. I'll post my method here if it helps:

1. Select Artificer.
  2. Set the difficulty slider all the way to Hard.
  3. Use the filter function to select only Passages. Cycle through the first challenge until you get the Hunter passage.
  4. Use the filter function to select only Vista Visiting. Cycle through the second challenge until you get Industrial Complex. We'll be farming for green lizards and that's a good place to find them.
  5. Hide the third challenge. By cycling through, you'll see your total point value change. You want the total point value to be 360. It can take a while, but that will be the quest for killing 11 green lizards.
  6. Add a fourth challenge and hide it. Cycle through until you see a total point value of 455. That will be the Outlaw passage, which you'll get naturally.
  7. Add a fifth challenge and hide it. Cycle through until you get a total point value of 700. That will be 300 kill points, which you'll probably get along the way.
  8. Add whatever perks/burdens you want and begin. (I choose the Hunted burden because who cares.) If you're lucky, you'll start in Industrial Complex. If not, it's usually only one or two regions away.
  9. Use the shelter near Garbage Wastes as a base camp. Two green lizards spawn to the west. You gotta watch out for scavs and vultures, but there are lots of pipes and tunnels to hide in. Eat the corpses and then hibernate.
  10. Eventually, you'll need to find the vista. Fortunately, Industrial isn't very big.

I'm sure there are better ways to utilize this, but this was good enough for me. I think you get different challenges depending on your slugcat, so the point values might change if you use someone other than Artificer.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Vern3r0z said:

how much of the 200 hours was spent on expeditions?

Around 70-ish? I did play around mindlessly a lot, so it's probably gonna be a lot less if you just focus on objectives.

42 minutes ago, domoenic said:

Awesome mini guide! I didn't even realise Apex Predator mission is not even on the quest list 1f627.png and I've spent so many hours trying to complete it. I'll report back whether completing it is necessary to get the expedition trophy.

That would be awesome! That mission sucks... a lot ?.

11 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Awesome guide. I'd like to point out there's a way to manipulate the hidden challenges in Expedition Mode. The way the point system works, each challenge is worth a certain amount of points + 10% for every additional challenge (e.g. a challenge worth 50 points is worth five more points for each challenge on the list). Knowing this, you can force the hidden challenges to be something you like. I did this to get over 900 points per run. I'll post my method here if it helps:

1. Select Artificer.
  3. Use the filter function to select only Passages. Cycle through the first challenge until you get the Hunter passage.
  4. Use the filter function to select only Vista Visiting. Cycle through the second challenge until you get Industrial Complex. We'll be farming for green lizards and that's a good place to find them.
  5. Hide the third challenge. By cycling through, you'll see your total point value change. You want the total point value to be 360. It can take a while, but that will be the quest for killing 11 green lizards.
  6. Add a fourth challenge and hide it. Cycle through until you see a total point value of 455. That will be the Outlaw passage, which you'll get naturally.
  7. Add a fifth challenge and hide it. Cycle through until you get a total point value of 700. That will be 300 kill points, which you'll probably get along the way.
  8. Add whatever perks/burdens you want and begin. (I choose the Hunted burden because who cares.) If you're lucky, you'll start in Industrial Complex. If not, it's usually only one or two regions away.
  9. Use the shelter near Garbage Wastes as a base camp. Two green lizards spawn to the west. You gotta watch out for scavs and vultures, but there are lots of pipes and tunnels to hide in. Eat the corpses and then hibernate.
  10. Eventually, you'll need to find the vista. Fortunately, Industrial isn't very big.

I'm sure there are better ways to utilize this, but this was good enough for me. I think you get different challenges depending on your slugcat, so the point values might change if you use someone other than Artificer.

Wow, great find! Not only is that a better method, that's an excellent way to get levels too. I didn't think about cycling hidden challenges.

I'll re-edit my original post to refer to your method as well ☺️

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Way_of_Tomoe said:

Wow, great find! Not only is that a better method, that's an excellent way to get levels too. I didn't think about cycling hidden challenges.

I'll re-edit my original post to refer to your method as well ☺️

You could probably further optimize it by replacing the vista challenge with a hidden challenge for something like killing cyan lizards, since that'll help you work towards the 20 hunting challenges (and you'll likely run into just as many cyan lizards as green lizards).

Another good expedition I found is Sky Islands echo + Chimney Canopy echo + kill White Squidcadas + kill Black Squidcadas. If you run that thee or four times, it should take care of most of the echo/hunting quests.

• Like 1

On 28/07/2023 at 4:19 AM, Way_of_Tomoe said:

- The Spearmaster mission "Apex Predator" might not be necessary for the trophy (?) since it doesn't really unlock anything. If someone can confirm this that would be amazing since this is one of the most difficult missions in the game.

Alrighty I just got the trophy and can confirm that you don't need to complete the Apex Predator mission!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, domoenic said:

Alrighty I just got the trophy and can confirm that you don't need to complete the Apex Predator mission!

Awesome! That definitely makes things a lot easier in the future. Thanks for confirming. ☺️

50 minutes ago, Vern3r0z said:

it should also be noted that you can save scum the expeditions too. go to hibernate -> exit -> upload save.

Will definitely make a note of that on the post. Thanks ☺️

On 27.7.2023 at 9:19 PM, Way_of_Tomoe said:

Messenger - Head to Pebbles and he will extract a pearl from your body. Show this pearl to Moon who will instruct you to take it to the Communications Array in the Sky Islands. Just fast travel there to get the ending and the trophy pop. Use the map below to navigate Moon's map.

You cant fast travel with held items, and the spearmaster cant swallow items

3 minutes ago, Vern3r0z said:

You cant fast travel with held items, and the spearmaster cant swallow items

Yes, you can. By default, Downpour has "Key Items on Passage" active in the Remix menu, which allows you to fast travel with held items, not just swallowed items. I know this because that's how I finished my Spearmaster run.

14 minutes ago, Way_of_Tomoe said:

Yes, you can. By default, Downpour has "Key Items on Passage" active in the Remix menu, which allows you to fast travel with held items, not just swallowed items. I know this because that's how I finished my Spearmaster run.

Wow, just tried it after the wall pissed me off and looks like you were right. Thank god for that.

Anyone else have issues with the game crashing? I noticed it first time on challenge #69, must have crashed 15 times trying to do that one. Now i have done rivulet's and hunter's campaigns with zero crashes, but doing the spearmaster right now and the game keeps crashing. Must have crashed 20 times or so in total, once even corrupted my save data. I made it to moon and trying to fast travel to a point near the communications array, but the game crashes every time i try to do it. Anyone else notice similar issues?

It was worse before the first patch in my experience; the game would almost always crash for me whenever a vulture spawns ?.

I still get crashes occasionally. The devs just didn't do a good job porting the DLC to consoles it seems. Try closing and restarting the game and see if that helps at all.

38 minutes ago, Way_of_Tomoe said:

It was worse before the first patch in my experience; the game would almost always crash for me whenever a vulture spawns ?.

I still get crashes occasionally. The devs just didn't do a good job porting the DLC to consoles it seems. Try closing and restarting the game and see if that helps at all.

that didn't help, but managed to do it by fast traveling to the wall and walking from there. Tried even different shelters in chimeny canopy but the game would crash every time.

Edited by Vern3r0z

One other thing to note for the guide is that you can get the slugcat ending trophies by doint the standard ascension ending, just did it with gourmand. He starts with 5 karma and close to the shaded echo, so i decided to try it out and it does indeed work. Not helpful for every slugcat but might save some time for some.

5 hours ago, Vern3r0z said:

One other thing to note for the guide is that you can get the slugcat ending trophies by doint the standard ascension ending, just did it with gourmand. He starts with 5 karma and close to the shaded echo, so i decided to try it out and it does indeed work. Not helpful for every slugcat but might save some time for some.

Interesting. I'm actually in the middle of ascending all my slugcats (only spearmaster left) and was wondering if it would've popped the trophies... I guess that proves it. I'd argue it only really benefits Gourmand because of the proximity between Outer Expanse and the Depths, but I'll put a note on it nonetheless since it's a nice option to have.

• Like 1

On 29.7.2023 at 5:24 AM, Cassylvania said:

1. Select Artificer.

Used your exact setup, but instead of the 300 point one it gave me the martyr passage. They must be worth the same amount of points or something.

1 hour ago, Vern3r0z said:

Used your exact setup, but instead of the 300 point one it gave me the martyr passage. They must be worth the same amount of points or something.

Hm. I ran it five times and got the same result every time. Maybe I just got lucky?

According to this site, the Martyr passage is worth 75 points, so 150 points if hidden. The formula for kills is more complicated, but I would think it should be worth a lot more if adding it as a fifth challenge makes the total value jump from 455 to 700. I know the difficulty, slugcat, and burdens make a difference because I was originally trying to come up with something for Spearmaster and had to rely on different point values.

The good news is you should be able to knock out the visible challenges pretty quick (just get to Industrial and start killing), so you can reset if you don't get what you want, but obviously it'd be better if it was consistent.

At least Martyr isn't the worst consolation prize. If you're playing as Artificer, you can just offset starvation mode by eating a few corpses.

Edited by Cassylvania

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

Hm. I ran it five times and got the same result every time. Maybe I just got lucky?

According to this site, the Martyr passage is worth 75 points, so 150 points if hidden. The formula for kills is more complicated, but I would think it should be worth a lot more if adding it as a fifth challenge makes the total value jump from 455 to 700. I know the difficulty, slugcat, and burdens make a difference because I was originally trying to come up with something for Spearmaster and had to rely on different point values.

The good news is you should be able to knock out the visible challenges pretty quick (just get to Industrial and start killing), so you can reset if you don't get what you want, but obviously it'd be better if it was consistent.

At least Martyr isn't the worst consolation prize. If you're playing as Artificer, you can just offset starvation mode by eating a few corpses.

yeah, i managed to do it, bit of a nuisance though.

• Like 1

Got back to 100%, DLC took me 132 hours in total. I'd say the worst part was definetly the challenges. I could see this DLC being done in 100 hours but youd really need to know the game beforehand. With the cheats/assists i can see this only getting a 6/10 in difficulty at most. Also if you have the dlc the main game trophies are like a 4/10 with it. Just in case someone was wondering whether to start this or not.