Really enjoying MK1 but I do have a few gripes about it

LAD-Shooter

Really enjoyed the game so far story has been great with the inclusion of new kombatants and I like how it plays on from MK11.

Few gripes though and they're not even in game play related:

1) Can't skip or speed up the animation when redeeming tokens at the shrine.

2) The time it takes to traverse the map on Invasion mode, the amount of times I've gone forwards and backwards on the map to find a level is frustrating, wish they had some sort of quick map/jump (I prefer MK11's mode where you could free run around) 

Other than that, well done NetherRealm Studios for dropping another "bloody" banger! 

2 hours ago, LAD-Shooter said:

Really enjoyed the game so far story has been great with the inclusion of new kombatants and I like how it plays on from MK11.

Few gripes though and they're not even in game play related:

1) Can't skip or speed up the animation when redeeming tokens at the shrine.

2) The time it takes to traverse the map on Invasion mode, the amount of times I've gone forwards and backwards on the map to find a level is frustrating, wish they had some sort of quick map/jump (I prefer MK11's mode where you could free run around) 

Other than that, well done NetherRealm Studios for dropping another "bloody" banger! 

My biggest gripe is how cheap the modifiers can be, particularly towards the end of a match.  How many times I've beaten an opponent only for the modifiers to trigger as it says finish him and then proceed to take them out before I even get the chance to fatality. 

Or in the double health bar fights when it swaps to the second health bar and you're momentarily frozen in place, when suddenly a mod spawns and chips away at your new health bar before you can even begin the phase.

These two things I really hope are unintended glitches because they really hurt the enjoyment of some of these towers.

Otherwise I'm really enjoying the game.  I'm glad they got rid of variations.  Characters are more simplified, and for me that's great. I'm not as good at fighters as I was 20 - 30 years ago.

35 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

kameos are dumb

Oh absolutely have to agree with that. I would have preferred the unique kameo characters to be fully playable fighters. IF they just simply had to add something in, I would have preferred a proper tag system. 

I've been playing MK11 a bit in between and the speed of that feels like lightning compared to MK1

36 minutes ago, RoastedPeanut said:

I've been playing MK11 a bit in between and the speed of that feels like lightning compared to MK1

Thank you! MK11 is better if every way.

Also kombat pack 2 datamined: Jade, Noob, Cassie, and a few others. Glad Jade and Noob but ill be done by then for sure

On 9/18/2023 at 8:10 AM, Infected Elite said:

Also kombat pack 2 datamined: Jade, Noob, Cassie, and a few others. Glad Jade and Noob but ill be done by then for sure

I’m all for Noob, but I feel like there’s not really a need for him. Jade even less so since her place in the story and relationships roster was basically already divvied up between Li Mei and Tanya. Cassie makes… no sense. Maybe just because I haven’t 100%ed the story or completed Towers as Johnny yet. I dunno.

Kept hearing Ghost Face as a contender, too. Like it better than Omni-Man or Peacemaker, but… tired of the guest stars. It was amusing and mildly interesting at first with Freddy and Kratos… started to wear thin by the point we were doing Alien vs. Jason or Terminator vs. Robocob. Kind of over it at this point.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 5:10 PM, Infected Elite said:

For me it's the opposite. I like MK1 more than MK11 and MK10.

I think it has a lot of different things to do and they're all fun. I like the story and enjoy the Invasion mode.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, anotherfangirl said:

I think it has a lot of different things to do and they're all fun. I like the story and enjoy the Invasion mode.

Invasion mode is pretty good - reminds me a lot of Deception’s Konquest, which I’m okay with - and the story’s pretty good - Chapter 15 tickles me in all the right ways - but the online feels like garbage (laggy, seems to ignore inputs when it feels like it) and whoever decided that you need to press Block alongside the attack button (both who decided it was Block in the first place, and who decided it had to be pressed simultaneously when the game seems to arbitrarily decide which button presses to acknowledge) rather than tap it after to juice up a move needs to be slapped repeatedly with a wet trout.

The game as a whole just feels bad to me - in terms of actual “feel” of the game, the responsiveness (or lack thereof) and how the mechanics interact (again, or don’t.) It’s ridiculously pretty, and has some good ideas, writing and performances (except Nitara and Cage, anyway), but it feels like window dressing over a half-baked product to me.

That said, if you’re diggin’ it, enjoy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ashande said:

Invasion mode is pretty good - reminds me a lot of Deception’s Konquest, which I’m okay with - and the story’s pretty good - Chapter 15 tickles me in all the right ways - but the online feels like garbage (laggy, seems to ignore inputs when it feels like it) and whoever decided that you need to press Block alongside the attack button (both who decided it was Block in the first place, and who decided it had to be pressed simultaneously when the game seems to arbitrarily decide which button presses to acknowledge) rather than tap it after to juice up a move needs to be slapped repeatedly with a wet trout.

The game as a whole just feels bad to me - in terms of actual “feel” of the game, the responsiveness (or lack thereof) and how the mechanics interact (again, or don’t.) It’s ridiculously pretty, and has some good ideas, writing and performances (except Nitara and Cage, anyway), but it feels like window dressing over a half-baked product to me.

That said, if you’re diggin’ it, enjoy.

I totally agree with everything you said about the online mode. And don't get me started on Nitara… almost everyone seems to agree on that :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, anotherfangirl said:

I'm more in the middle with this.  I like it about as much as MK11.  Both are great games imop, buy they both have flaws.  The one thing I do like better with MK1 though is the way they went back closer to the MKX way of doing combos.  It just feels better to me.  I always struggled with MK11's combos, but this one I can pull them off a lot more comfortably.  MK11 I liked the towers of time better than Invasions though. Invasions got kind of boring after the first few Mesa's.  Hopefully that's something they improve on with future seasons.  Story wise I like it about the same as both X and 11.

Time will tell what the MK community thinks, but in terms of gameplay and features it seems like MK9 > MKX > MK11 > MK1. Story mode is always great and the graphics get better with each game. It's the gameplay changes and extra features/modes that are in question. MK11 released to a lot of fanfare, but later the MK community realized the gameplay just wasn't as good as MK9 or MKX. The same fate may very well fall upon MK1 due to the kameo system and how gamers feel the combat is slower than MK11 (which is slower than MKX).

The game definitely wasn't as polished as it should have been on launch, but that seems to be the norm now. I find during towers in invasion mode the sound effects tend to vanish before the end of some rounds and I'm just left with music and no effects or announcer. Also, when I walk from node to node between Gateway towers with Scorpion, his kunai just floats around with him. It either looks like a golden snitch or Yondu's floating arrow

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RoastedPeanut said:

The game definitely wasn't as polished as it should have been on launch, but that seems to be the norm now. I find during towers in invasion mode the sound effects tend to vanish before the end of some rounds and I'm just left with music and no effects or announcer. Also, when I walk from node to node between Gateway towers with Scorpion, his kunai just floats around with him. It either looks like a golden snitch or Yondu's floating arrow

I have also noticed that with Scorpions Kunai.