Help! Chapter 9 speedrun keeps freezing!

Ivotas

Hey guys, rather than explaining what's happening and where I'd rather show it in an actual video below. Prior to the most recent run I've made it past this section many times but out of a sudden this is as far as I can go before the game crashes. Is there a way to fix this or is this now a permanent state for my game? If anybody has some constructive feedback on how to fix this, I would gladly hear it.

4 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

The first thing I'd try is making sure the disc is absolutely spotless, then reinstall it after running through the database repair options in safe mode. If none of that works, try starting a new game on a fresh save after backing up the original but if all else fails, try a new copy.

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately I have a digital copy of the game. Sorry that I forgot to mention this.

Also might I ask how a new game relates to a speedrun? They speedruns are in a different menu from the campaign. Just asking to make sure.

Try to pause for a bit just before the point that makes the game freeze. When you're doing the speedruns, sometimes the game just can't keep up with loading and crashes instead. I don't remember having that problem in this particular spot, but I know there's a section in a level where you jump onto something hanging from a crane and it loosens and crashes down to a level below, and that often froze but pausing just before that really helped. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, FishOfPain said:

Try to pause for a bit just before the point that makes the game freeze. When you're doing the speedruns, sometimes the game just can't keep up with loading and crashes instead. I don't remember having that problem in this particular spot, but I know there's a section in a level where you jump onto something hanging from a crane and it loosens and crashes down to a level below, and that often froze but pausing just before that really helped. 

Thank you very much. I will try to use that strategy the next time I'm playing. I also figured that I might have been loading the sections too fast but this being a speedrun I didn't feel like wasting any second. Never would have thought about pausing though, so that I much appreciate bringing this up. I hope this will help.^^

1 hour ago, Ivotas said:

Hey guys, rather than explaining what's happening and where I'd rather show it in an actual video below. Prior to the most recent run I've made it past this section many times but out of a sudden this is as far as I can go before the game crashes. Is there a way to fix this or is this now a permanent state for my game? If anybody has some constructive feedback on how to fix this, I would gladly hear it.

I speedrun the game quite a lot on ps3 and pc and honestly never came across that spot when it comes to game crashes, other spots are more notorious for that. It seems that your game is having trouble when you are loading the next area, which starts once you drop down the first vent (0:09 in your video). At that point the game starts loading the sniper area and probably doesn't finish properly, which causes your game to crash. Digital version is normally way better than the ps3 disk version of this game so maybe start pausing at around 0:11 in your video or consider reinstalling the game on your console. Good luck, and feel free to ask me if you need some tips for anything.

Edited by westersburg
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, Ivotas said:

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately I have a digital copy of the game. Sorry that I forgot to mention this.

Also might I ask how a new game relates to a speedrun? They speedruns are in a different menu from the campaign. Just asking to make sure.

I was thinking that maybe your save had some bad data in it but going by what other people have said here, it sounds like a known bug in the game :(.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ivotas said:

Thank you very much. I will try to use that strategy the next time I'm playing. I also figured that I might have been loading the sections too fast but this being a speedrun I didn't feel like wasting any second. Never would have thought about pausing though, so that I much appreciate bringing this up. I hope this will help.^^

If works fine with you tell us.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, westersburg said:

I speedrun the game quite a lot on ps3 and pc and honestly never came across that spot when it comes to game crashes, other spots are more notorious for that. It seems that your game is having trouble when you are loading the next area, which starts once you drop down the first vent (0:09 in your video). At that point the game starts loading the sniper area and probably doesn't finish properly, which causes your game to crash. Digital version is normally way better than the ps3 disk version of this game so maybe start pausing at around 0:11 in your video or consider reinstalling the game on your console. Good luck, and feel free to ask me if you need some tips for anything.

Thank you very much for narrowing down at what time to pause exactly. I will definitely keep that in mind. Also re-installing the game doesn't sound like a bad idea. Do I just install and re-install the game or also delete some of the game data? Never had to do this before so I just ask to make sure I do the correct thing.

8 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

I was thinking that maybe your save had some bad data in it but going by what other people have said here, it sounds like a known bug in the game :(.

It's still a possibility though. I will try with the pause thing first as it seems that's the easiest thing to pull off. If that doesn't help I will definitely try with un- and re-installing the game, game data, save data and whatnot.

Honestly, I've experienced so many weird things with this game I felt like I was cursed. The thing is that I'm generally bad with first person perspective so my first reaction was that the fault lies with my inability. But then things like these happen which definitely are outside of the are of skill issues.^^'

Just now, Tiricy said:

If works fine with you tell us.

Sure thing mate. Will do. And thank you everyone for being so quick on the replies and suggestions. Much appreciated. Will definitely be posting an update the next time I play (which should be in about 24 hours if things go well).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ivotas said:

Thank you very much for narrowing down at what time to pause exactly. I will definitely keep that in mind. Also re-installing the game doesn't sound like a bad idea. Do I just install and re-install the game or also delete some of the game data? Never had to do this before so I just ask to make sure I do the correct thing.

It's still a possibility though. I will try with the pause thing first as it seems that's the easiest thing to pull off. If that doesn't help I will definitely try with un- and re-installing the game, game data, save data and whatnot.

Honestly, I've experienced so many weird things with this game I felt like I was cursed. The thing is that I'm generally bad with first person perspective so my first reaction was that the fault lies with my inability. But then things like these happen which definitely are outside of the are of skill issues.^^'

Sure thing mate. Will do. And thank you everyone for being so quick on the replies and suggestions. Much appreciated. Will definitely be posting an update the next time I play (which should be in about 24 hours if things go well).

I'd recommend deleting everything except the savegame, so you don't lose your progress. So delete the game and the game data (patchfile and dlc if installed). My timing for the pause is just a guess. I'd say just do it anywhere between the drop (where the loading process starts) and the part where it normally crashes for you.

Edited by westersburg
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, westersburg said:

I'd recommend deleting everything except the savegame, so you don't lose your progress. So delete the game and the game data (patchfile and dlc if installed). My timing for the pause is just a guess. I'd say just do it anywhere between the drop (where the loading process starts) and the part where it normally crashes for you.

Kk, then I will do just that. Thanks again.^^

Hey-hey guys, as promised I'm posting an update. I managed to get the section to work again. In the end I did both, un-install and re-install the game and pause every single time I was at that section. But not only that, today I finally managed to clear the speedrun in this section with a time required for the trophy. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR FEEDBACK!!! I wouldn't have made it without you.

I know I still have a long way to go with this platinum (especially since this was my first speedrun chapter and not a single time trial yet). But I'm so happy to have put this thing behind me. You wouldn't believe the nonesense that happened to me yesterday before the freezing. So I'm just happy that at least this part of the trophy hunt is over. Again, thank you so much everyone. You rule!^^

• Like 3