Story/Lore question and discussion about the campsite (Spoiler Discussion)

wackt1

So like I have not finished the game as of posting this, I am on Chapter 9. Why did Chris Hackett allow the summer camp to continue to operate for the last few years prior to the events of the game? The only reason why I could think of was that it was a major source of money for the Hackett family. But then you have the 4 werewolves roaming the campgrounds every full moon, which is twice when the summer camp is operating. Like I am very surprised that there wasn't a massacre of children prior to the game. But ya thanks for reading my little rant with my personal grip with the game. I do find it enjoyable, just that I can't wrap my head around how there was not a major incident other than a journalist and a couple hikers going "missing" in the woods. Plus I am very surprised that there weren't more than 4 werewolves on the campground prior to the game. 

Edited by wackt1

Been about 10 months since I played this but I think there are a couple of lore pieces that indicate the Hacketts were facing financial trouble and allowed the camp to continue to operate regardless of the risk (I feel like real life corporations would do this as well when faced with financial pressure). 

I know what you are getting at though.  Chris allowed himself to be chained up during the full moons, but why were Caleb and Kayla allowed to roam free during the events of the game?  Wouldn't the family chain them up during a full moon as well? I know camp was supposed to be over at the time of the full moon but wouldn't they imprison them to mitigate any sort of liability?  They did have those electrified cages after all.  The only complication would be Silas who would roam free regardless of what the Hacketts did.  I also feel like there aren't more werewolves because its supposed to be more fatal than what is depicted in the game.  

It is a great game however, even with these plot holes.

43 minutes ago, Duke_Ryle said:

Been about 10 months since I played this but I think there are a couple of lore pieces that indicate the Hacketts were facing financial trouble and allowed the camp to continue to operate regardless of the risk (I feel like real life corporations would do this as well when faced with financial pressure). 

I know what you are getting at though.  Chris allowed himself to be chained up during the full moons, but why were Caleb and Kayla allowed to roam free during the events of the game?  Wouldn't the family chain them up during a full moon as well? I know camp was supposed to be over at the time of the full moon but wouldn't they imprison them to mitigate any sort of liability?  They did have those electrified cages after all.  The only complication would be Silas who would roam free regardless of what the Hacketts did.  I also feel like there aren't more werewolves because its supposed to be more fatal than what is depicted in the game.  

IIRC Chris's kids were bitten relatively soon before the game started, so it's possible they simply ran away before the full moon. Hackett's had the cages built for them just for that reason. 

As for the camp being open, it was their only source of revenue + the camp was always open between full moons, so the risk was minimal, even though not zero. Truth be told, the camp had to have happened, otherwise, we wouldn't have had the game.

On 9/28/2023 at 12:05 AM, Duke_Ryle said:

On 9/28/2023 at 12:55 AM, HaserPL said:

IIRC Chris's kids were bitten relatively soon before the game started, so it's possible they simply ran away before the full moon. Hackett's had the cages built for them just for that reason. 

As for the camp being open, it was their only source of revenue + the camp was always open between full moons, so the risk was minimal, even though not zero. Truth be told, the camp had to have happened, otherwise, we wouldn't have had the game.

Both are good points

• Like 1

Yes, there were a few clues and interactive objects that showed the camp was in need of money. However there was no indication that during the 2 months camp was open that they closed during the inevitable full moon that would come in between those 2 months. Chris' kids were turned for a while, I'll keep it vague to avoid spoilers for wackt1.

Plot holes aside, I enjoyed The Quarry. These games are so much better when there is a supernatural element to them and not just in people's heads.