Cozy Trophies for Cozy Gamers

14 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I wanted to give a quick shout out to  game series that some folks might not immediately think of when thinking about "cozy" games, but I really think imbue some of the "cosiest" feelings, (but I won't get a chance to talk about otherwise, as I finished the last one on the 31st of December, like 7 hours too early 😂)

...the Voice of Cards series.

header_586x192.jpg?t=1679587201

I'm not sure how they land on the technical side of the rules for this event, as they are technically RPGs, and therefore, a huge amount of time is spent in "battles" in those games...

...but there is something incredibly cosy about them, just because of the way they are presented.

you have a "Dungeon Master" who introduces themselves, and welcomes you, and who talks you through the whole story, narrating it, and with you playing on what looks like a "physical" table, with "physical" dice and "physical" cards - they feel like you are settling down in the firelight, to enjoy a little D&D style game than someone has crafted for you, and is talking you through in a soothing voice...

...feels about as cosy as gaming can get to me!

So I've been looking at those for like a year.  They do sound appealing, not gonna lie.  I don't believe they qualify here just because they do have a focus on combat, but I am curious.  If I wanted to just grab one to try them out, is there one you'd recommend over the others?

Just now, graphic_violins8 said:

So I've been looking at those for like a year.  They do sound appealing, not gonna lie.  I don't believe they qualify here just because they do have a focus on combat, but I am curious.  If I wanted to just grab one to try them out, is there one you'd recommend over the others?

I think they are all pretty good, but I'd say the second one - The Forsaken Maiden - is easily the strongest, and of the two others, the third one - Beasts of Burden - is the weaker of the two, though not by an enormous amount.

They're all separate stories, so if you were to just play one, I'd definitely say The Forsaken Maiden is the one to go with!

• Like 2

Here's a question for you @graphic_violins8 :

Does a game with a kinda horror theme still class as cosy?! 

I ask because I have played Murder Diaries, Murder Diaries 2, and i noticed i forgot to play Murder Diaries 3 but have it downloaded.

they are just kinda like a walking sim where you simply collect balls of light which give you info / 'story progression' while the narrator tells you about the story of a killer. They take about 1-2 hours to complete, no combat no way to die etc. But i just find the stories interesting.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, esstee11 said:

I ask because I have played Murder Diaries, Murder Diaries 2, and i noticed i forgot to play Murder Diaries 3 but have it downloaded.

they are just kinda like a walking sim where you simply collect balls of light which give you info / 'story progression' while the narrator tells you about the story of a killer. They take about 1-2 hours to complete, no combat no way to die etc. But i just find the stories interesting.

I'd say they count as cozy.  Sound like the gaming equivalent of a True Crime show.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, esstee11 said:

Will be playing Scorn after completing Relicta, so I would definitely say yes to horror, some find it cozy :P.

And if it doesn't qualify, still play it if you want it :)

• Like 1

@graphic_violins8 ok great cheers, it is definately like that, just like watching a true crime documentary to me 😁

@Mokkajunior oh I certainly will be playing whatever I want outside of this event too, i have to get my horror fixes or I'll implode 😆 this year I'll be playing horror games like (if they come out) Outlast Trials, Killer Klowns From Outer Space, Silent Hill Remake, Alone In The Dark, The Last of Us Part 2 Remake, etc. Stuff like that 👍

...And I am also still addicted to Texas Chain Saw Massacre game and still play a couple hours of it every night for fun if I'm in, I'm playing it right now 😂👍

Edited by esstee11
  • Like 2

Game: Relicta

Type: Puzzle

Total Points: 5

Just for the well-being of you guys: do not attempt Relicta. I'll probably finish it tomorrow, but it isn't cozy at all, hence the 0 points :P. This game is hard, and the mechanics make it even worse. There's also a speed run trophy involved, which you cannot track, so the only way of knowing if you made it is by completing the entire game, fingers crossed I will make it :).

This game is considered as a puzzle game, and it essentially is, but the mechanics and the cheer luck you need on some levels is insane. I lost 45 mins on 1 level because of the mechanics not working properly, but should still be able to get the 6h mark total. I'm doing this with the guide as it's just impossible without 1, or you will have to invest a lot of time!

So be warned if you're attempting this 1 :)

• Like 1

I'm trying to think of a cosy game that has ultra rare trophies, but I can't think of any. Do any of you guys have any suggestions? (Not the hunt game someone else did, I can't bare having to kill animals in games! Icky, hurts me! I HATED having to do that in Farcry Primal and Red Dead Redemption for trophies I was like nooo whyyy 😭😭 lol)

I thought maybe 'The Flame in the Flood', was a very pretty game I played for about an hour few years ago, but I was finding it bit hard - but that might just be because I'm not used to that kind of game. I dunno 🤷‍♂️ (edit I just looked at guides its rated too difficult to count for this)

Edited by esstee11
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, esstee11 said:

I'm trying to think of a cosy game that has ultra rare trophies, but I can't think of any. Do any of you guys have any suggestions? (Not the hunt game someone else did, I can't bare having to kill animals in games! Icky, hurts me! I HATED having to do that in Farcry Primal and Red Dead Redemption for trophies I was like nooo whyyy 😭😭 lol)

I thought maybe 'The Flame in the Flood', was a very pretty game I played for about an hour few years ago, but I was finding it bit hard - but that might just be because I'm not used to that kind of game. I dunno 🤷‍♂️

Most of the harvest moons do I believe. Puzzles games like Puzzle Dimensions on the ps3 I think it’s called.  Monster Prom xxl is cozy I believe.

Edited by graphic_violins8
  • Like 1

New game complete: Dredge

Normally I wouldn't say this is exactly *cozy* as it has some scary elements where creatures chase you...HOWEVER it has an accessibility feature that allows you to play the game on "Passive" meaning no mean water gremlins scaring you off as you explore and fish :) 

Points earned to date: 2

• Like 3

@graphic_violins8 Hmm. Good shout, I don't think I'd enjoy gardening & harvesting sugary sweet type games though, puts me at a disadvantage as they are pretty much the epitome of cosy 😆

@BeesTrophies oooo I've been dying to play Dredge, did you love it? it's been getting rave reviews everywhere, it's in my wishlist waiting for a good sale like many other games lol!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, esstee11 said:

I thought maybe 'The Flame in the Flood', was a very pretty game I played for about an hour few years ago, but I was finding it bit hard - but that might just be because I'm not used to that kind of game. I dunno 🤷‍♂️ (edit I just looked at guides its rated too difficult to count for this)

Goodbye Volcano High is a lovely visual novel / light-rhythm game that definitely should work.

Little Big Planet games are literally made of cloth… what could be more cosy?

Quantum Conundrum is a fun puzzle game that could work as it’s nice and cheery.

Metrico and Metrico+ are non violent puzzle games that are quite relaxing

Cities Skylines is probably cosy, as city management is very zen.

The Playroom is a good one if you have the PS4 camera unit thing

Sports Friends is a fun little collection of silly couch party games, which could work

Lumines Remastered, Chime Sharp and Tetris Effect are non violent and definitely comfort food gaming, so maybe count depending on your preferences - they are my go-to “chill out” games, though have some difficult elements

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Cities Skylines is probably cosy, as city management is very zen.

Cities Skylines is a very long game and the coziness fades away very fast if you want to go for the platinum :).

I got the plat for it, but it's work ;)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mokkajunior said:

Cities Skylines is a very long game and the coziness fades away very fast if you want to go for the platinum :).

I got the plat for it, but it's work ;)

I still find it cozy after 600 hours and S-Ranking it twice...

...but different strokes for different folks I guess!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mokkajunior said:

Game: Relicta

Total Points: 5

Just for the well-being of you guys: do not attempt Relicta. I'll probably finish it tomorrow, but it isn't cozy at all, hence the 0 points :P. This game is hard, and the mechanics make it even worse. There's also a speed run trophy involved, which you cannot track, so the only way of knowing if you made it is by completing the entire game, fingers crossed I will make it :).

This game is considered as a puzzle game, and it essentially is, but the mechanics and the cheer luck you need on some levels is insane. I lost 45 mins on 1 level because of the mechanics not working properly, but should still be able to get the 6h mark total. I'm doing this with the guide as it's just impossible without 1, or you will have to invest a lot of time!

So be warned if you're attempting this 1 :)

Game finished: Final time 06.05.42... Seriously, without bugs and glitches would've been below 5 lol :P.

Not going to attempt this again tho. Will stay like that for a while now :P. Maybe 1 day...

12 minutes ago, esstee11 said:

@DrBloodmoney might have had a stroke of genius with The Playroom 🙂 just checked ah I already have the only UR trophy from the base list, but I havent done the DLC, there is no individual UR trophy in the DLC, but the overall stats if you 100% the game is 0.60%... would that count @graphic_violins8 or is that pushing it 😆

So looking at the trophies (I've never played it personally) I'm gonna say yes it counts.  The only combat seems to be in the NINJA BOT DLC which means the focus isn't on combat.  So go for it!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, esstee11 said:

@BeesTrophies oooo I've been dying to play Dredge, did you love it? it's been getting rave reviews everywhere, it's in my wishlist waiting for a good sale like many other games lol!

I’ve been enjoying it so much! It’s been quite some time since I binged a game. I can’t wait to dive into the DLC after work tonight lol 

highly recommend :)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, graphic_violins8 said:

So looking at the trophies (I've never played it personally) I'm gonna say yes it counts.  The only combat seems to be in the NINJA BOT DLC which means the focus isn't on combat.  So go for it!

Yay! Have you played any of them? Astro's Playroom, The Playroom VR, The Playroom, they are all very cosy and adorable indeed 😁 free too. Astro's Playroom is especially a must play for anyone with a PS5 too imo! The nostalgia and quality is wonderful! 💜

12 minutes ago, BeesTrophies said:

I’ve been enjoying it so much! It’s been quite some time since I binged a game. I can’t wait to dive into the DLC after work tonight lol 

highly recommend :)

Awesome! 🤩

Game: Dear Esther: Landmark Edition.

+1 point.

(Total points = 4).

Owned this PS4 game since it's release in 2016, never got around to playing it until now, so thank you again to this event for reminding me/encouraging me to finally get around to playing games that i always wanted to but put on the back shelf for whatever reason 🙂 This will happen several more times with several other old games this year I'm sure lol.

Quite lovely, despite it being a mix of both hopeful and sad. The quiet and peaceful cliffs, with gentle waters lapping shores, are sounds and scenery that relax me to my core almost to the point of sleep (that's a good thing. Way better than being stressed.) 
almost regretted doing a blind playthrough first, when I afterwards realised this would take 3 playthroughs to complete... But then was overjoyed when i went to do my dialogue trigger cleanup playthrough, when the very first one in the guide video popped my last trophy 😂 so my 'third playthrough' only took 3 minutes, brilliant lol. So chuffed i managed to explore enough by chance blind, to only miss one, even more of a perfect miracle that my missed one was chapter ones very first one lol.

Lastly, the one impressive thing I learned - If the commentary is correct which I'm sure it is - Is that Dear Esther is the first of its kind, the OG Walking Simulator. That's a pretty neat nugget of info, which makes me even more happy that I played it 🙂

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 10:34 AM, esstee11 said:

Yay! Have you played any of them? Astro's Playroom, The Playroom VR, The Playroom, they are all very cosy and adorable indeed 😁 free too. Astro's Playroom is especially a must play for anyone with a PS5 too imo! The nostalgia and quality is wonderful! 💜

Awesome! 🤩

Astros playroom on the ps5 is so delightful I actually platinumed it on my old profile and as soon as I made this profile it was my first platinum. I love that game.

• Like 1

Game: Venba (steam) 

Points: I am assuming 1? I 100% it as well as completing it.

Venba (PC-Steam 5.5 hours)- So this is a long review. I was not expecting to connect to well with this game and at the same time feel so called out by my past actions as a child. My family aren't immigrants but man did I understand Kavin's apprehension to his parent's culture and wanting to fit in but I grew out it long before I left for college where he didn't. I hated how people knew how "country" my extended family was. I hated going on outings with them and how thick their Southern AAVE was. I disliked  the customs we had and there were so many times I went "this is slavery era stuff, why are still doing this? It makes others think we are weird!" 

And like Kavin, when I was younger, I used to allow people to say my name how they wanted because I was tired of correcting people and then because I felt that my name was weird and I wanted to fit in. My parents gave my older sister and I unconventional names and my sister used to stress to others to call her by her middle name because she disliked her first name. My mom gave us both the same line that Venba gave her son which was that names meant things and we were given them for a reason. But my sister and I brushed that off. 

But then thing we both loved was the cooking our grandmother, our mother and our aunts would do. How they would still teach us how to cook different dishes, how our grandmother taught us how to harvest certain plants and how to check if they are fresh. She and our mother would show us love through their cooking. 

And that is what I loved about this game, how the story and the love Venba had for her family, for her son through her meals. Because this is what this game is about, love and family through food. And it is about her son's growth as well. I now see why this game was nominated at The Game Awards.2kgigs0.png0BecVK6.png

• Like 4

Got another couple of games done that I think fit in this event:

L7bf732.png

Game: "Jusant"

An oddball, zen, narrative Climbing Sim, that feels like a direct crossover of Journey and Grow Home.

The game has a lot of interesting world building, as the player character climbs a strange, impossible column that has clearly once been a thriving civilisation, long since abandoned due to drought and famine, and there is a lot of good interest built up...

...but the story peters out a little, as it never really sticks the landing correctly, and unfortunately, the game mechanics, while cool at first, quickly show their limitations, and don't works as well with the more linear climbing paths Jusant has, as opposed to something more freeform like Grow Home.

Looks very nice though, and does have some great ambient sound and some evocative design.

No combat in this one, and a pretty serene and calm gameplay mechanic, so I think it qualifies as cozy!

Lea1f69.png

Game: "Tinykin"

A game that feels like a throwback to a simpler time, with mechanics similar to some of the more basic 3D platforming collect-a-thons of the PS2 era, mixed with some cool Pikmin-style gameplay, some excellent "Honey I shrunk the Kids" type settings, and a great, fun soundtrack!

This is a really good one - not super challenging or long, but very inventive and fun to play, and with silly, simple, but very satisfying gameplay... that even makes a non-3D platforming fan like me enjoy it!

Again, no combat, and the gameplay is purely quite easy platforming and collecting, and helping out some of the little bugs and critters in the house - felt like a cozy good time for me playing, for sure!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

Finally doing an update on my games completed:

PS4 Games:

When the Past was Around:

A sweet story about love, loss, and grief told a lot through music.  It's a puzzle game, and quite frankly I didn't care for the puzzle aspect.  I loved the art of it,  there are some missable trophies in the game and that's frustrating, but it's easy to fix if you do and it shouldn't require another play through.

Behind the Frame:

Another story  I absolutely loved that's centered around art, so of course a lot of the puzzles are art themed.  This is a story about friendship, missed opportunities, and moving on.  Like my last game, this one does have some missable trophies but it doesn't require an entire play through if that happens as you can choose from chapters later on. 

Switch Games:

Florence:

I really had a theme this week, because this one is about love and loss between an artist and a musician.  It's a cute point and click game, when you can interact felt really meaningful, for instance during a fight you piece the speech bubbles together and as it progresses you can see the pieces become sharper, more jagged.  I will have my screen shot of the end credits posted shortly to prove it was completed.  

Games in the Works:

Just games I can't wait to finish that I have managed to start: 

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture: I am at what should be my final play through as long as the Backtracker achievement isn't glitchy.  I really want to be done with this game not just for this challenge but for my trophy clean up challenge too.  

The Artful Escape: SOO MANY COLORS and LENA HEADEY's voice 🥴.  I love a story of identity so I can't wait to see how all of this plays out. 

Dear Esther:  Isolation, everything looks the same, and someone named Esther????  I like what I see so far but some of it feels tedious.  

Lemon Cake:  I love a cozy bakery game.  This is super adorable, a little tedious at times (which is expected), and I love the animals 🥺

***Proof for Florence***

spacer.png

Edited by Sea_Giraffe007
Updating to show I completed Florence on the Switch
  • Like 4