Cozy Trophies for Cozy Gamers

On 12/7/2023 at 4:08 PM, graphic_violins8 said:

I’m not one to apply peer pressure but um…..dooooooooo it!

Hehe, ok, sign me up 😁

Like every year I will naturally probably play a fair few games that may be possible candidates, from obscure little-known indie games, that you can then have fun deciding if they fit the criteria to be valid or not 😁👍

See you in the new year! 🎉

Edited by esstee11
  • Like 1

First off, did you deliberately make the font on your OP bigger? It hurts my eyes. :(

Second, this is a nice concept. I'll look more into it.

On 12/5/2023 at 7:46 PM, graphic_violins8 said:

When it comes to combat, we believe the best approach is that combat is fine, but shouldn't be the focus of the game.

While I want to put the games up for debate, I don't think that the Dragon Quest Builders series would be considered cozy because, even though the main focus is building and crafting, you do have to fight monsters raiding your village and deal with bosses, including the Dra(spoilers). <_<

But if I had a say in it, I'd say that Dragon Quest Builders and Dragon Quest Builders 2 have a lot of relaxing parts in them. Just wish I didn't have to deal with Dragon Quest ghosts attacking me while I was building my Bellsprout Tower. :(

17 hours ago, ProfSeajay7 said:

First off, did you deliberately make the font on your OP bigger? It hurts my eyes. :(

Second, this is a nice concept. I'll look more into it.

While I want to put the games up for debate, I don't think that the Dragon Quest Builders series would be considered cozy because, even though the main focus is building and crafting, you do have to fight monsters raiding your village and deal with bosses, including the Dra(spoilers). <_<

But if I had a say in it, I'd say that Dragon Quest Builders and Dragon Quest Builders 2 have a lot of relaxing parts in them. Just wish I didn't have to deal with Dragon Quest ghosts attacking me while I was building my Bellsprout Tower. :(

Oh no!  Yeah I was trying to make it flow a little better. Sorry it hurts your eyes!

yeah I’d be a little on the fence with that myself. I’ve always wanted to play dragon quest builders more tho. I’m a big fan of the dq games I have played though I know it’s very different. 

I do hope we see you next year in the event sometime though!

So update!  I've now finished the extra points category and sorted it by points value.  Additionally, I've added recommendation lists, similar to how @Rebourne07 does for the Platinum Difficulty event (credit where it's due).  However, I need to finish fleshing it out (specifically adding the various systems you can play on and adding some older games).  If you think of any I've missed, let me know and I'll chuck um in there if they count.

• Like 1

I think I can also suggest some games from my last played games. I think Omno and The Gardens Between could fit the puzzle category and Lost Words: Beyond the Page and The Artful Escape could fit Narrative, as both are pretty much following the narrative without a lot of interaction, just like Telltale games and Life Is Strange (unless you suggested these because the narrative could change due to your choices and is considered vague, in this case it wouldn't fit because both games have a very linear story)

2 minutes ago, MattbluePT said:

I think I can also suggest some games from my last played games. I think Omno and The Gardens Between could fit the puzzle category and Lost Words: Beyond the Page and The Artful Escape could fit Narrative, as both are pretty much following the narrative without a lot of interaction, just like Telltale games and Life Is Strange (unless you suggested these because the narrative could change due to your choices and is considered vague, in this case it wouldn't fit because both games have a very linear story)

Nope, I choose those because the narrative is the central focus of the game, and thus the gameplay is derived from them.  I love those recommendations (I really enjoyed Lost Words, can't believe I didn't think of it).  I'll get those added later!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, graphic_violins8 said:

Nope, I choose those because the narrative is the central focus of the game, and thus the gameplay is derived from them.  I love those recommendations (I really enjoyed Lost Words, can't believe I didn't think of it).  I'll get those added later!

Yeah, Lost Words was a big surprise for me too. Totally recommend it to anyone!

On 12/5/2023 at 5:46 PM, graphic_violins8 said:

8. Harvest Moon - Original (SNES/Super famicom, Switch), Gameboy (Gameboy, Gameboy Color), 64 (N64, Switch), Back to Nature (PsOne, PS3), Save the Homeland (PS3, PS4), A Wonderful Life (PS2, PS4) - There's a ton of these on other retro consoles, so there's plenty to choose from; they also go by Story of Seasons as well and those are completely separate games (though I believe a couple are remakes of Harvest Moon titles)

Just to clarify on Harvest Moon. There was a dispute with the original publisher of the series in western territories so they got to keep the original name, while the new games in the series are actually Story of Seasons! The newer Harvest Moon games are basically rip offs of... Well Harvest Moon! If you want the experience as intended by the actual creators I'd play a SoS game before any of the new HM games. Basically all of this to say that SoS is not completely separate games from HM, they're actually the same games! :)

11 minutes ago, Redblaziken8 said:

Could point and click games work for cozy games? They're pretty chill 😄 - just a thought! 

So my only concern with point and clicks is the focus on a fail state.  Though I guess Walking Dead and Game of thrones also had fail states that were easier to trigger.  Ya know what, I think as long as there's not a ton of stressful parts (from a gameplay perspective, not story) then a point and click should be fine.  Even then it would subjective so lets just say "Point and click games = A Ok!".

5 minutes ago, MissShake said:

Just to clarify on Harvest Moon. There was a dispute with the original publisher of the series in western territories so they got to keep the original name, while the new games in the series are actually Story of Seasons! The newer Harvest Moon games are basically rip offs of... Well Harvest Moon! If you want the experience as intended by the actual creators I'd play a SoS game before any of the new HM games. Basically all of this to say that SoS is not completely separate games from HM, they're actually the same games! :)

That's great to know.  I'll adjust that part to avoid any misinformation!

• Like 2

Hey buddy nice to see the updates 🙂 love the 'recommendations' list are we classing that as like the approved games list? Great that's exactly what I was hoping for, to make things easier for all players instead of scrolling through all pages of discussions etc 🙂👍 

I bet all cooking sims count, people find them cosy, there are loads of them, I don't have any, but just saying for other players. My version of cosy games the types I buy are like things that are a beautiful journey, with relaxed gameplay, beautiful soundtracks, beautiful environments/level design, and beautiful stories, so just looking through randoms in my game library i'd like for you to assess if they can be added to the approved/recommended games list! just a yes or no is fine, no explanation needed. And I haven't played these games so I don't know much about them, I'm just going off of if the trailer looks nice lol 😁 :
(I have looked through your lists, apologies if there is any duplicates):

Game Suggestions:

Unravel? 1 & 2

Paper Beast?

The First Tree?

Road 96? (it's like Life is Strange, and wonderful!)

The Wanderer?

Submerged? 1 & 2 (First one was sublime, haven't played sequel yet)

The Last Campfire?

Roki?

Rime?

Endling? (won awards and was recently free on psplus)

The Deer God?

Toem?

Stray? Still not on the list, i thought it was wonderful and chill

Literally all AnnaPurna Interactive games (game list LINK), they are all beautiful and chill.

This one is A Memoir Blue 💙:

All Artifex Mundi Point and Click Hidden Object puzzle games (there is a lot, list LINK)
Example (despite them making out to have a dramatic story, all the gameplay is actually very relaxing)

I know thats a really random selection sorry lol. I don't know if i'm way off or not. With there not being an actual category of genre of 'cosy' that you can search for on the PSN store, makes it more up to us, and as it's a year long event, we need a few more options on the list 😁

Oh lastly as i saw TACOMA on your list, I remember playing that and It reminded me of The Station and The Assembly, but then also of these other 3 that are similar but a bit more puzzley, The Bradwell Conspiracy, The Spectrum Retreat, and The Turing Test, similar no combat kinda walking sim story focused games but with some puzzles like The Talos Principle that you previously approved 👍 (Played them they were all quite nice quite good).

Food for thought 😆

Edited by esstee11

3 minutes ago, esstee11 said:

Hey buddy nice to see the updates 🙂 love the 'recommendations' list are we classing that as like the approved games list? Great that's exactly what I was hoping for, to make things easier for all players instead of scrolling through all pages of discussions etc 🙂👍 

Also i see you are happy to approve most Point and Click games, good choice! Some are wonderful!

I bet all cooking sims count, people find them cosy, there are loads of them, I don't have any, but just saying for other players. My version of cosy games the types I buy are like things that are a beautiful journey, with relaxed gameplay, beautiful soundtracks, beautiful environments/level design, and beautiful stories, so just looking through randoms in my game library i'd like for you to assess if they can be added to the approved/recommended games list! just a yes or no is fine, no explanation needed. And I haven't played these games so I don't know much about them, I'm just going off of if the trailer looks nice lol 😁 :
(I have looked through your lists, apologies if there is any duplicates)

Unravel? 1 & 2

Paper Beast?

The First Tree?

Road 96? (it's like Life is Strange, and wonderful!)

The Wanderer?

Submerged? 1 & 2 (First one was sublime, haven't played sequel yet)

The Last Campfire?

Roki?

Rime?

Endling? (won awards and was recently free on psplus)

The Deer God?

Toem?

Stray? Still not on the list, i thought it was wonderful and chill

Literally all AnnaPurna Interactive games (game list LINK), they are all beautiful and chill.

This one is A Memoir Blue 💙:

All Artifex Mundi Point and Click Hidden Object puzzle games (there is a lot, list LINK)
Example (despite them making out to have a dramatic story, all the gameplay is actually very relaxing)

I know thats a really random selection sorry lol. I don't know if i'm way off or not. With there not being an actual category of genre of 'cosy' that you can search for on the PSN store, makes it more up to us, and as it's a year long event,  i we need a few more options on the list 😁

Oh lastly as i saw TACOMA on your list, I remember playing that and It reminded me of The Station and The Assembly, but then also of these other 3 that are similar but a bit more puzzley, The Bradwell Conspiracy, The Spectrum Retreat, and The Turing Test, similar no combat kinda walking sim story focused games but with some puzzles like The Talos Principle that you previously approved 👍 (Played them they were all quite nice quite good).

Food for thought 😆

Hey!  So those games are approved but not definitive!  So by all means find and share away!  As for those listed games I love that list and would only say no to The Deer God and The Assembly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mokkajunior said:

Probably at a serious disadvantage considering I truly love cozy games and already played a ton, but still looks like big fun, so add me as well :)

Won't be for the overall ranking but just for the fun of it :)

You’re in!  I’ll get you on the leaderboard probably tonight or tomorrow!  Welcome!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, graphic_violins8 said:

Hey!  So those games are approved but not definitive!  So by all means find and share away!  As for those listed games I love that list and would only say no to The Deer God and The Assembly.

Alright great! 
(also edited my suggestions into a spoiler tag to make the post of bunch of trailers not clog the thread! 👍)

Ok, so @Mokkajunior you are on the leaderboard.  Additionally, I have added a google sheet for everyone to be able to track their standings and to let me know if I've made any mistakes.  Other than that, I hope everyone enjoys the holidays and unless there's questions or further recommendations, I'll wait to post again until 11:59pm EST on December 31st!

• Like 3

Just saw (PS4) Submerged in the PSN sale for £1.49 (90% off from £14.99).
For anyone here who hasn't played it already, it's worth picking up 🙂

"Gorgeous-looking" Gamespot.com.

"Exceptionally compelling" USGamer.com.

"Relaxing, unwinding, cathartic" Good Game Pocket.

Edit: Oh and even better the new 2022 sequel (PS5) Submerged: Hidden Depths is also on PSN sale for £2.49! (90% off from £24.99!)

only for 5 more days though, grab it while it's hot! 😆

Edited by esstee11
  • Like 4

So just a few questions before we start: Would Bugsnax and VA-11 HALL-A count?

Second question: I own the ps3 versions of The Wolf Among Us and the Unfinished swan but never played them on that console but I did play them on my ps4 and vita. Would I be allowed to play them for this?

And third, thank you again for this cozy game event! 

37 minutes ago, setobox said:

So just a few questions before we start: Would Bugsnax and VA-11 HALL-A count?

Second question: I own the ps3 versions of The Wolf Among Us and the Unfinished swan but never played them on that console but I did play them on my ps4 and vita. Would I be allowed to play them for this?

And third, thank you again for this cozy game event! 

1- Yes they work.

2- Go for it!  I like doing the same games across platforms myself so I’m all about it!

3 - I’m so glad to see the turn out and I’m so pumped for the next year!!  Very excited to get started!  Thanks for joining in!

• Like 2