Overcoming The Nemesis Tips

kels_77

8 minutes ago, x410xDragon said:

Then it is time for the true endgame grind, maxing out the Sphere Grid.

Yeah I've been in the Omega Ruins grinding and getting money so I can fight in the arena and get some nodes and items I need to make the Break HP Limit armor ability and Ribbon I still have a LOT of empty nodes in my Sphere Grid. 😬😬😬😬

2 hours ago, kels_77 said:

Yeah I've been in the Omega Ruins grinding and getting money so I can fight in the arena and get some nodes and items I need to make the Break HP Limit armor ability and Ribbon I still have a LOT of empty nodes in my Sphere Grid. 😬😬😬😬

You do not need Break HP or MP Limit. 9999 HP and 999 MP is more than enough. 

Back on the PS2, I used Tidus, Wakka and Rikku.

Start off with Rikku's Mix and make Hyper Mighty G, then have everyone use Quick Hit (since Nemesis counters everything else with Ultima) until you can use Wakka's Overdrive Attack Reels.

With a beefy team and break damage limit, it should be over in 5 minutes or less.

5 hours ago, D-E-U-S-X said:

Yo, you're MY HERO, thank you so much for this! I had a few characters I really needed to grind with and this helped so much! Thank you! <3:D 

3 hours ago, x410xDragon said:

You do not need Break HP or MP Limit. 9999 HP and 999 MP is more than enough. 

Hmmmm, I was just trying to get as much HP as I could bit since it's one shot kill it doesn't matter, right? What about Ribbon? 

3 hours ago, Helyx said:

Back on the PS2, I used Tidus, Wakka and Rikku.

Start off with Rikku's Mix and make Hyper Mighty G, then have everyone use Quick Hit (since Nemesis counters everything else with Ultima) until you can use Wakka's Overdrive Attack Reels.

With a beefy team and break damage limit, it should be over in 5 minutes or less.

Sounds good! I'm working on leveling up Wakka now, I've been using Tidus, Auron and Rikku, I'll definitely try your method, thank you! <3:D 

The Don Tonberry trick (which I saw someone already linked) is 100% the way to grind. For characters that don't have as many enemy kills (for me, was Yuna, Rikku, and Kimahri), you might want to spend an hour or so farming kills with weaker enemies to get the maximum damage (and by proxy, the maximum AP yield) from Karma. You want to max out every base stat for every character (you can do without luck, but it'll make your life easier if you do that too) before fully attempting this. 

I'll also echo the sentiments I already saw in this forum topic on armor - Max HP and/or MP are satisfying to have, but honestly wasted on most of the superbosses. In terms of "ultimate armor" setups, I'd recommend prioritizing the following abilities:

• Auto-Haste - This should be a mandatory ability on every character for obvious reasons. 
  • Auto-Protect - Also self-explanatory. 
  • Auto-Phoenix and/or Auto-Potion - Be mindful of this one as you can blow through some pretty expensive items if you're not careful, but these are such a boon for some of these superbosses.
  • Def 20% - Added durability that can keep you alive through certain attacks. 
  • Ribbon - Often the most essential defensive ability, albeit a situational one, if you have enough materials for it. If not, Stoneproof is a good alternative, as that's the only ailment that you can't cure by dying and reviving. Either way, I always liked to make sure at least one of my current party members had one of these abilities just so there was always a go-to savior if the other members without ailment immunity got hit.

For both Penance and Nemesis, Auto-Haste, Auto-Potion, Auto-Protect, and Def 20% should be solid default options for your team, but Ribbon and Auto-Phoenix definitely don't hurt for a few as well. Could also rely on Rikku's Hyper Mighty G overdrive to get some of these buffs and Auto-Life as well.

For Nemesis, equip Celestial Weapons and Quick Hit it into the stratosphere, using overdrives when appropriate that provide opportunity for multiple hits (Tidus's Blitz Ace, Wakka's Attack Reels, Anima's Oblivion, etc.) Its ultimate attack is Armageddon, which you can tank through by applying Auto-Life to the party (or at least one member). Apparently there is also a hidden counter that determines when it's going to use this attack, which you can manually track to align your defenses. It goes up by 3 when it uses a physical attack, and by 2 when it uses any other attack. Once the counter reaches 21, Nemmy will cast Armageddon on its next turn, and that's your cue to throw out an Aeon as a meat shield or make sure you've got Auto-Life applied. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Unlucky_Thir13en said:

I'll also echo the sentiments I already saw in this forum topic on armor - Max HP and/or MP are satisfying to have, but honestly wasted on most of the superbosses. In terms of "ultimate armor" setups, I'd recommend prioritizing the following abilities:

• Auto-Haste - This should be a mandatory ability on every character for obvious reasons. 
  • Auto-Protect - Also self-explanatory. 
  • Auto-Phoenix and/or Auto-Potion - Be mindful of this one as you can blow through some pretty expensive items if you're not careful, but these are such a boon for some of these superbosses.
  • Def 20% - Added durability that can keep you alive through certain attacks. 
  • Ribbon - Often the most essential defensive ability, albeit a situational one, if you have enough materials for it. If not, Stoneproof is a good alternative, as that's the only ailment that you can't cure by dying and reviving. Either way, I always liked to make sure at least one of my current party members had one of these abilities just so there was always a go-to savior if the other members without ailment immunity got hit.

For both Penance and Nemesis, Auto-Haste, Auto-Potion, Auto-Protect, and Def 20% should be solid default options for your team, but Ribbon and Auto-Phoenix definitely don't hurt for a few as well. Could also rely on Rikku's Hyper Mighty G overdrive to get some of these buffs and Auto-Life as well.

For Nemesis, equip Celestial Weapons and Quick Hit it into the stratosphere, using overdrives when appropriate that provide opportunity for multiple hits (Tidus's Blitz Ace, Wakka's Attack Reels, Anima's Oblivion, etc.) Its ultimate attack is Armageddon, which you can tank through by applying Auto-Life to the party (or at least one member). Apparently there is also a hidden counter that determines when it's going to use this attack, which you can manually track to align your defenses. It goes up by 3 when it uses a physical attack, and by 2 when it uses any other attack. Once the counter reaches 21, Nemmy will cast Armageddon on its next turn, and that's your cue to throw out an Aeon as a meat shield or make sure you've got Auto-Life applied. 

The only passives worth taking are: 

• Auto-Protect
  • Auto-Phoenix
  • StoneProof (or 1x Ribbon)
  • Auto-Haste

Everything else is worthless. 

One party member exclusively has Ribbon (in my case, Tidus had the ribbon passive) on their armor set while the rest have the Stoneproof factor. Auto-Potion is worthless and wastes a factor slot; also, 20% Defense is a waste at the 255 cap limit as you cannot push the threshold any higher, same with Magic Defense at 255. No matter what your stats are or how high you push it, the damage will land based on the attack itself. Penance for example can deal 99,999 damage even if they have Def 20% or whatever, but their base attack (auto) will barely do anything to the player if they have 255 Def or Mag Def. The same can be said about Nemesis. Speaking of Nemesis, with maxed stats going into the fight it goes down so fast it is a joke.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, x410xDragon said:

The only passives worth taking are: 

• Auto-Protect
  • Auto-Phoenix
  • StoneProof (or 1x Ribbon)
  • Auto-Haste

Everything else is worthless. 

One party member exclusively has Ribbon (in my case, Tidus had the ribbon passive) on their armor set while the rest have the Stoneproof factor. Auto-Potion is worthless and wastes a factor slot; also, 20% Defense is a waste at the 255 cap limit as you cannot push the threshold any higher, same with Magic Defense at 255. No matter what your stats are or how high you push it, the damage will land based on the attack itself. Penance for example can deal 99,999 damage even if they have Def 20% or whatever, but their base attack (auto) will barely do anything to the player if they have 255 Def or Mag Def. The same can be said about Nemesis. Speaking of Nemesis, with maxed stats going into the fight it goes down so fast it is a joke.

I’ve seen it claimed that Def 20% reduces the damage you take by 20%, rather than increase your def stat by 20%. So even though you can have the stat maxed out, you’d increase your survivability. Haven’t played FFX in a while so can’t verify that myself, but I’ve seen that consensus for years, and it’s hard to imagine a ton of players at max stats would be saying the same thing about it.

I agree with your take on the only passives really worth talking about (overall usefulness especially), but not everyone has the right materials to apply universally, so I thought a few alternative suggestions would be helpful, especially for these specific superboss fights. 

4 hours ago, Unlucky_Thir13en said:

I’ve seen it claimed that Def 20% reduces the damage you take by 20%, rather than increase your def stat by 20%. So even though you can have the stat maxed out, you’d increase your survivability. Haven’t played FFX in a while so can’t verify that myself, but I’ve seen that consensus for years, and it’s hard to imagine a ton of players at max stats would be saying the same thing about it.

I agree with your take on the only passives really worth talking about (overall usefulness especially), but not everyone has the right materials to apply universally, so I thought a few alternative suggestions would be helpful, especially for these specific superboss fights. 

Wasn't trying to sound rash or say you were "wrong" - just added my piece of advice to your own. If my comment came off as rash, or even rude, my apologies. 

Edited by x410xDragon
Typo.
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, x410xDragon said:

Wasn't trying to sound rash or say you were "wrong" - just added my piece of advice to your own. If my comment came off as rash, or even rude, my apologies. 

No worries! Just trying to clarify my own advice since, in an ideal world where we have all the materials we could ever need, I’d agree with you ;) 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks to everyone's tips and advice, I was not only able to max out all of my characters, but take out nemesis with ease, thank you all so so much! I really appreciate it! Penance here I come!!!

30S792b34.png Perfect Sphere Master
Complete the Sphere Grids for all main characters
Add to Cabinet
1st Jan 2024
11:55:48 AM
ACHIEVERS
9.63%
VERY RARE
40-gold.png
32Sd124e4.png Overcoming the Nemesis
Defeat Nemesis
Add to Cabinet