Worthy stand-alone game?

I'm interested in buying this stand alone game, but I haven't bought/played AC4 (yet).

A lot of reviews claim that this game isn't as good as AC4 and even feels like a step downhill comparing to black flag itself. Less exploration, more lineair feel, ...

However, I haven't played black flag and I don't intend to buy it ( expecting it on ps plus in November).

Would you heavily recommend Freedom Cry to someone who hadn't played Black Flag?

I have a question. I have AC4 and yesterday bought(by mistake) the standalone version. Now, i can't get 100 on the AC4 trophy list because my freedom cry trophies are unlocked in the stand alone version. Should i buy the add on too? I mean is there any differences between this versions?

thanks

I have a question. I have AC4 and yesterday bought(by mistake) the standalone version. Now, i can't get 100 on the AC4 trophy list because my freedom cry trophies are unlocked in the stand alone version. Should i buy the add on too? I mean is there any differences between this versions?

thanks

The standalone version has a few more trophies in its list. other than that it is the same game. Save your money, unless you must have 100% in the main game

• Like 1

No I don't think it's a worthy standalone game, I loved Ac4 and this was getting great reviews, but it wasn't worth it. 3 hours , 5 for completion, and the story, the most critically acclaimed part, was way too mediocre, I feel like it got good reviews because of its controversial focus.

It seems to be ubisofts strategy, releasing story add ons as standalone content, I bet watch dogs dlc will too.

Even if you want a taster, AC4 's main game is far superior , so just buy that. If you want 100% you'll be playing it soon enough anyway.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

This is a great stand alone game, I haven't played AC4 yet but playing this game helped me understand the Ships Mechanics and how to defend or at least survive which is fairly easy once you get the hang of it. Now I can play AC4 not having to feel overwhelmed on the new ships mechanism. Apart from that the story is great, if you are in this site is because you love trophies not because you are trying to save 7-12 bucks. I would surely buy the add on apart from completing the stand alone both @ 100 percent. Assassins Creed games are awesome anyways. Those are my 2 cents

• 3 months later...

Freedom Cry is a dlc/expansion, don't view it as a full blown game because it isn't. Its roughly about 4-5 hours if you try taking your time. 

You know how Infamous First Light is to Infamous Second Son? Well that's exactly what AC Freedom Cry is to AC Black Flag.

Edited by MafiaBrett

I think it's great. As someone who's played just about every AC game, despite  not giving half a single fuck about any of them, this was my favorite.

Well, second favorite, I actually loved the PSP one.

It takes longer than a few hours unless you rush through it, but the thing about this game, is it's size doesn't do it a disservice. The pacing is spot on, everything takes as long as it should, and if you end up doing something more than once, it's because you made a screw up, not because the game is lazy and makes you replay the same sort of thing.

There's assassination missions, there's stealth base taking missions, there's the odd ship mission, there's run at the enemy and shoot the shit out of them missions, then there's free roam which let's you do all those sorts of things at your own pace and on your own terms. I paid $7.55 for this game when it came out on PS4 and I well got my money's worth. As someone who gets easily bored by playing Assassin's Creed games for more than like 5 hours in total, this was a welcome change, and the exclusion of Desmond and focus on one single story was great.

I own AC 1,2,3,4, Brotherhood, Revelations, Bloodlines, Liberation, Freedom Cry, and I've played most of the DS ones. Aside from the PSP one (Bloodlines), Freedom Cry is my favorite by a long shot. If I'd have paid 30 or so for this, I'd feel it was worth it still.

• 4 months later...