impossible mode ... how do you do it?

Wildcat0728

Legitimately how?

First I just want to say to those who can do the impossible run without doing any exploits: I salute you. You are men and women amongst children. You are legends amongst mere mortals. And sadly I am not amongst your ranks for I had to quit out and use cloud save, well once on that, and quit out a few times, but still, I could not do it legitimately.

I just obtained the platinum and I'm very happy with it. I do feel guilty as I did not obtain it outright. When I started impossible mode I had the idea that I may need to use cloud save or quit out, but I wanted to try legitimately to obtain it. So I saw how far I would get, 2 chapters in and I already died lol. In fact I don't think I could get past the first three chapters easily mind you. Once I was able to upgrade my suit and weapons I had an easier time and only needed to quit out less than a handful of times. My only extremely difficult situation was in chapter 10. You know, the fights against a horde of those infected while the immortal one follows you around as well, the one that ends with that giant tentacle and you need to fight him off, do not and it's back to the last save before the fight against the immortal and a lot of other infected. I died to the tentacle once, had to quit out. Then the fight after when transporting the marker, where you find Peng, oh boy I got overwhelmed had to quit out. Second time around I managed to control the crowd a lot better. That's it. Other parts were not too bad. The final fight I almost died when the infected started attacking but luckily one dropped a large health pack and I used it right away. And that was that. I like to think with some practice I may be able to do it. I only had to use the cloud once. Which is good. But I had to quit out a couple of time do the environmental deaths. Like in chapter 12 ... the Final chapter. I was no where near the fans, the one where you need to connect three batteries to restore power and then fly up slowing down the fans. For some reason I died twice there ... was no where near anything. Imagine my run ending there? Takes me about 11 hours to finish the game. Yeah, ain't no way. So I'm good. I feel fine getting it this way. If you did do it legitimately I would like to hear your experience. How? Anyway, thanks for your time. Hope everyone is having a wonderful New Year!

Edited by Wildcat0728

You can check this discussion :

As I understand, it is called "impossible" to a reason it's just impossible.

There's a couple of people claiming to finish it legitimately and one guy who claims to finish it legit and doing it with only the plasma cutter, the latter is unbelievable imho.

honestly its not that bad. i also was afraid of it but ended up doing it on my first try. my tip is always be ready, utilize your weapons, flamethrower is a life saver against the little guys and the infested ones. have only 4 weapons in your inventory. you should do it on your 3rd playthrough after doing ng and ng+ so you should remember where the enemies are coming from and when and where are all the upgrade nodes. 

It's been a while but I remember spending the first half of the game TKing limbs to save ammo and resources. I barely ever used the Contact Beam, just kept it in my inventory because the ammo drops sell well at the shop. Once you get the Force Gun, it's game over basically. You just have to have that Contact Beam economy to keep it stacked with ammo.

3 hours ago, Konan064 said:

You can check this discussion :

There's a couple of people claiming to finish it legitimately and one guy who claims to finish it legit and doing it with only the plasma cutter, the latter is unbelievable imho.

Not sure why you wouldn't believe that... I'm far from a "Gamer God", and I did it that way as well. In fact, I would recommend combining Impossible Mode and the "only Plasma Cutter" run, because if you only hold one weapon you can not only focus all upgrades on that one weapon, but you'll also struggle less with running out of ammo for your weapon of choice in any given situation, since the more weapons you hold, the more random the ammo drops become.

Thankfully, the Plasma Cutter happens to be the most versatile weapon, in that it works pretty well from a distance as well as in close combat. It is very precise with a decent enough firing rate. Damage is also pretty good, especially when fully upgraded.

The Plasma Cutter is only at a clear disadvantage when dealing with the little creepy crawlies (forgot what they are named), but those situations are still manageable.

My general tips for Impossible are

- avoid unecessary encounters (that includes avoiding unnecessary backtracking). If you know you won't be revisting a particular area, and you can make it out unharmed, just run.

- save often, but also avoid saving after encounters that didn't go according to plan. If you feel you unnecessarily wasted lots of health kits or ammo: reload, redo.

- use the surroundings to your advantage. TK'ing enemies with limbs/speers or shooting explosive stuff does tons of damage and saves ammo.

- don't forget about Stasis. It can be a life saver, especially when dealing with multiple enemies.

- don't rush. You have all the time in the world. I spent quite a lot of time walking around with a speer at the ready, just in case an enemy I forgot about decided to jump out at me.

- and lastly: Unless it hurts your ego - if you think you are about to die, just quit the game and reload.

4 hours ago, Konan064 said:

There's no way you're disrespecting the best gun in the game, right? 

Impossible mode is honestly not that bad in the remake, a hell of a lot easier than the originals imo. Even easier if you scum it and quit when you're about to die. And it is MORE than doable with the plasma cutter only.

So btw I did do it, just had to quit out a few times. I had under 5 deaths, 3 quit outs on enemies, 2 BS environmental deaths in Chapter 12. I mean imagine the run ending there without quitting out. One quit out was a late, I was shocked cause I died rather quickly, so had to go to cloud save, only time i had to do that. So I do think I can do it legitimately I just don't know if I want to try it again lol. I got the platinum so moving on. If you are able to without quitting out or using cloud save then I tip my hat to you.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2024 at 1:18 PM, Liyah79 said:

- save often, but also avoid saving after encounters that didn't go according to plan. If you feel you unnecessarily wasted lots of health kits or ammo:

Ye, OK, if you do this with saving then it is definitely doable but it is not as "impossible" is intended.

It's like cheating and not actually beating the challenge.

Just finished this and honestly after getting the Plat on the OG Dead Space, DS2 and DS3 this was the easiest of the "hardest" difficulty modes.

General tips:

-Try to only carry two weapons with you to max ammo drops. You want a long range (Plasma Cutter/Contact Beam) and short/medium (Ripper/Flamethrower)

-I'd use the Ripper/Plasma Cutter combo early on (Ripper is great on ammo) and then switch to Flamethrower/Contact Beam as soon as they're available

-If you played the OG Dead Space, the Flamethrower got a MASSIVE upgrade and is probably the most useful weapon in the game as it can stunlock and you can use the alt-fire to slow down enemies to your side/rear (stasis + firewall is deadly to cover your back).

Flamethrower is OP:

-Flamethrower is VERY ammo efficient with primary fire, you will often get more ammo back than you use (10-20 to kill an enemy vs 25 for a drop)

-Flamethrower does AOE damage and will cook anything

-Flamethrower alt-fire and stasis are the best way to kill wall guardians. Cook them with a little primary fire if the alt-fire doesn't fully kill them.

-Flamethrower can cook exploder arm enemies before they get a chance to bomb you (Might require upgrades, didn't encounter them with a base Flamethrower)

-Flamethrower is a VERY effective against twitchers, it will trigger their stasis point

-Flamethrower is VERY effective against pregnants, it will cook them without releasing anything

-You can camp in the far back corner during the shooting range segment with a Flamethrower and nothing can touch you

-You can camp in a lot of corners with a Flamethrower and nothing can touch you (useful in Ch 10/11 with the Marker segments as well)

-Some enhanced/armored enemies might break through (armored pants, etc), stasis these guys if they don't stop.

Contact Beam:

-Great sniping weapon, I found it best to sweep the primary fire across the arms/head when upgraded

-Don't neglect the alt-fire for the Contact beam, it will explode most enhanced/armored enemies at medium range and is very ammo efficient when upgraded (I used it a lot against enhanced Leapers)

-Contact beam to down splitters then Flamethrower to clean up the parts is a very effective combo

Conserve resources:

-Use stasis as much as you can, they're very generous with refill points and you can always backtrack. If you're getting swarmed fire one off on one side then take care of the other

-They throw stasis packs at you (I was constantly selling them) so don't be afraid to use those either.

-Instead of using health packs do the old trick to reset your suit and add nodes back in to heal. You can always keep one or two HP nodes unfilled after a reset to maximize your 5000 credit investment and get it down to 1750-2000 credits for a full heal.

-Similarly, try not to put nodes in all the capacity slots right away, you can save these for a free weapon refill

Abuse saves:

-If you are getting swarmed don't be afraid to quit to menu and reload a save, save points are also very generous.

-If you carefully only shoot one or two orange orbs around the Tether fans in Chapter 12 you won't restart them and there will be enough space to fly through while they're gunked up

Bosses:

-When doing Leviathan Part 2 I found it was easiest to go Left then Right then Center, the mine placement seemed to be easier. Used contact beam to shred it in seconds after the last cannon was destroyed

-Contact beam is by far the best weapon for the Hive Mind boss, you can alt-fire the orbs on his 2nd stage to easily break them. I used the Flamethrower to kill the mobs halfway through.

I did occasionally upload a cloud save, but never had to use them. If you keep yourself at or near max health the only real hazards are Exploders, Brutes and enviromental (Fire/Electrical/Centrifuge/Fans). Honestly the damage received wasn't noticeably higher than Medium on the first playthrough and I think it was easier than my Hard NG+ since I only noticed one Phantom on Impossible (when getting prototype stasis).

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Tbf this was way easier than i expected. I played it first time on normal, using all weapons and just having fun. After that i began impossible plasma only and managed to get it first try without any trouble. (Did dead space and dead space 2 on ps3 way back in 2011/12 and remembered doing hardcore was way easier using plasma only. so doing it on remake was just ideal too)

• Confused 1

• Plasma Cutter (general purpose accurate dismemberment)
  • Ripper (conserves ammo)
  • Flamethrower (alt-fire the wall enemies)
  • Stasis (helps reaction time)