Funny stories with videogames

Don_Chipotle

I got my partner a PSVR for his birthday a few years ago. We ended up needing more space after setting it up, so I unhooked it to do some rearranging.

Couple hours later I was playing Warframe and sneezed. Someone in game typed "Bless you" in chat. That's how I learned the PS mic is on by default in everything when first plugged in, ignoring preexisting settings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There are plenty I could name but probably the best ones I can remember off the top of my head are one where I was playing the Star Wars Galaxies MMO when that was somewhat new and I joined a group to do some kind of hunting thing. I'm pretty sure it was an XP farming thing however it meant we were basically fighting high level Rancor monsters back to back which was something of a slog and so there wasn't very much to really do. My character had a robotic lower half since I think they wound up dying too many times (I forget how this mechanic worked exactly) and at one point I typed out "Bite my shiny metal ass!" in regards to the Rancors we were fighting and the group wound up making Futurama references for a while. I really miss that kind of group experience in a game.

The second one I don't know if I would say is funny but I still remember it pretty well and like to share it. When I found out about Dragon Age: Origins I asked my mother if we could go to GameStop to get it and when I asked for it the guy behind the counter pulled the case out and went like "Are you ready for an adventure!?" with a really serious expression and it got me hyped up to play it more. No idea what that guy does now but I hope he's doing alright.

• Haha 3

I don't know how interesting this is, but I was trying tons of times to get the chocobo rider trophy in FFX on my vita. I was visiting my friend in Finland, she's not into gaming but we both took turns at the game in the hope of one of us winning, kind of having a laugh to pass time. Her husband works in Microsoft and is is a total xbox person, he hates playstation and mostly plays online multiplayer and souls games, not RPGs. He randomly walked in and asked us what we were doing, so I told him about this annoying chocobo game. He never heard of FF (which was a shock to me), but asked to have a go, and for some reason or streak of insane luck, after 10 minutes he managed to get the trophy. Me and my friend just sat there staring, jaws dropped at this dude who never touched a JRPG getting the games most frustrating trophy..... whether it was skill or luck or both, I will never know.  

• Like 3

Another story at the arcades was that one sunday i was looking that there was this guy playing KoF 2002 with mods (still a normal thing in Mexico in 2024), and he selected 2 roulette characters and one rugal, and i arrived like 5 or 5:30 PM, and this guy with only one coin was able to keep up until 8:45 9 pm, by defeating everyone because even the most skilled players couldnt beat him, because he was so good with rugal (and also yeah, its freaking rugal),and there was this huge mob of players trying to beat him, around 10 or 12 guys waiting for turn, the thing is that when the arcade sounded the alarm of closing at 9 pm, some people started screaming to the player in frustration that he was using rugal, and the vibes in the place got to a point that when the final alarm sounded he didnt even looked at the rivals, he just took his things and got away running because the mob was going to get medieval on him because he was owning everyone.....with rugal.

He left, and some people were outside the arcade talking why they couldnt defeat him, and very pissed about not bringing him down, and from what i know he didnt went back to that arcade.

Yes, KoF 2002 for many is something serious in Mexico.

• Haha 2

I went to a mall after school with some friends to play at an arcade, afterwards we all wanted to chip in and eat pizza, but my good friend Chris didn't want to put any money because he was saving for Budokai Tenkaichi 3. We told him it was okay and to eat anyway.

When the pizza was ready, he was reaching for a slice and my friend hits his hand (like in that specific way when you want to stop someone from grabbing food, haha) and told him, "no! you're going to eat Budokai today!".

Then we laughed and all shared the pizza, that's what friends are for, but to this day we use that phrase "eat budokai", lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was reminded of this story today. There are two malls in my city and this story specifically came to mind because one of the malls was recently completely redone into a 'market'. So, the entire inside area from when I was a kid is gone now. Actually, typing that reminds me of a minor story as well, I'll save that for the end.

Anyway, there was a Software ETC there I used to go to (for those of you too young to know of them, it was one of the chains that eventually combined with others to become GameStop). The manager through the mid-90s to the mid-2000s was jolly fucker who'd worked in retail for most of his life. Due to this, he had lots of friends at all levels. Of particular note, his drinking buddy worked for the shipping center where all their products were delivered from. There a series of local business drama stories of the time about how this was dramatic and such, but he end point is he could get stuff before street date and corporates really didn't care if he sold stuff so long as the money kept rolling in.

So, the end of September 2000 rolls around, we're three some-odd weeks away from the (US) release of the PS2 and Pokemon Gold/SIlver...and his shipping buddy calls him. Manager orders his minions to call everyone with a pre-order and let them know all of it will be in that night. I get there to a small group already waiting. I'm there for Pokemon Silver, there was another guy who had pre-ordered $2K worth of PS2 stuff. We're all chit-chatting and stuff, then one of the minions suddenly stops, turns to the other minion and says:

"Will the boxes be labeled?"
"...Sorry, what?", says minion 2.
"Labeled. Will the boxes be labeled 'PS2'?"
"....maybe, why?"
"So...so the boss might be walking through the parking lot, few lights, near the start of the holiday season, with boxes labeled for hot Christmas gifts?"

They both looked at each other evenly for a solid ten second before bolting out the door, one yelling "NOBODY STEAL ANYTHING!" over his shoulder.

Spacing this out, since this one is a tad sad, but the story other story I mentioned. At the start of GameStop taking over all the brands, the store was being refurbished live. That is, they were doing the construction while the store was open. You know, buy your games but don't mind the buzzsaw going off six feet away, typical business strategy. Anyway, the construction crew was out to lunch and I came in for something or other. The jolly manager was bothered because this change up was also going to cause layoffs. Then he gets this look on his face. He motions to his minions and grabs a boxcutter. Goes over to an open wall panel, cuts open a edge of the new insulation, tells the crew "Write your names here, on the beam. We've been here long enough, only fair." The sad part is what I started with. That whole section of building is gone now, that beam is likely in landfill. Funny how things work out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jelly Soup said:

Was reminded of this story today. There are two malls in my city and this story specifically came to mind because one of the malls was recently completely redone into a 'market'. So, the entire inside area from when I was a kid is gone now. Actually, typing that reminds me of a minor story as well, I'll save that for the end.

Anyway, there was a Software ETC there I used to go to (for those of you too young to know of them, it was one of the chains that eventually combined with others to become GameStop). The manager through the mid-90s to the mid-2000s was jolly fucker who'd worked in retail for most of his life. Due to this, he had lots of friends at all levels. Of particular note, his drinking buddy worked for the shipping center where all their products were delivered from. There a series of local business drama stories of the time about how this was dramatic and such, but he end point is he could get stuff before street date and corporates really didn't care if he sold stuff so long as the money kept rolling in.

So, the end of September 2000 rolls around, we're three some-odd weeks away from the (US) release of the PS2 and Pokemon Gold/SIlver...and his shipping buddy calls him. Manager orders his minions to call everyone with a pre-order and let them know all of it will be in that night. I get there to a small group already waiting. I'm there for Pokemon Silver, there was another guy who had pre-ordered $2K worth of PS2 stuff. We're all chit-chatting and stuff, then one of the minions suddenly stops, turns to the other minion and says:

"Will the boxes be labeled?"
"...Sorry, what?", says minion 2.
"Labeled. Will the boxes be labeled 'PS2'?"
"....maybe, why?"
"So...so the boss might be walking through the parking lot, few lights, near the start of the holiday season, with boxes labeled for hot Christmas gifts?"

They both looked at each other evenly for a solid ten second before bolting out the door, one yelling "NOBODY STEAL ANYTHING!" over his shoulder.

Spacing this out, since this one is a tad sad, but the story other story I mentioned. At the start of GameStop taking over all the brands, the store was being refurbished live. That is, they were doing the construction while the store was open. You know, buy your games but don't mind the buzzsaw going off six feet away, typical business strategy. Anyway, the construction crew was out to lunch and I came in for something or other. The jolly manager was bothered because this change up was also going to cause layoffs. Then he gets this look on his face. He motions to his minions and grabs a boxcutter. Goes over to an open wall panel, cuts open a edge of the new insulation, tells the crew "Write your names here, on the beam. We've been here long enough, only fair." The sad part is what I started with. That whole section of building is gone now, that beam is likely in landfill. Funny how things work out.

Last one i totally feel, i met many people who worked at Blockbuster/gamerush, and many jobs were lost when they said from one week to another than they were gone, and without any advice they did a huge sell in almost every store, many people was able to achieve a game/dvd/blu ray collection thanks to this, but it was sad because i was a fan of going to mcdonalds for a burger or ice cream, go check some games and movies, and go home; i still can do it with ps plus extra games, or other game stores i know, but the feeling of surprise of finding something random in every way, is not the same.

On topic, another funny story was grinding uncharted 2 MP dlc trophies with friends, for some reason it paired us with another 4 guys, and we started a match, so we started playing i think TDM, but while using mics, one of us says "hey we should go to the extreme border of the map, hang out at the border of the map, and hide and wait them to bore, or go", so we do that, and we hang and we hide, and the same guy who said that  says "hey we should be safe here"...and the instant he finished saying that, he gets frigging wacked from a nade launcher and goes flying through the air, the funny thing is that, he was the only one who got wacked because he was a little far from us, everyone started laughing just to get wacked by the other team to finish the match and finish the grinding, but man, Uncharted 2 left some amazing moments.

Edited by Don_Chipotle