Sony's DualShock 4 Light Bar Was Always Meant For VR, They Just Couldn't Tell You

Lady Lilith

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/05/08/sonys-dualshock-4-light-bar-was-always-meant-for-vr-they-just-couldnt-tell-you/

When Sony debuted their redesigned DualShock controller for the PlayStation 4, its light bar turned out to be a very divisive addition. It’s bright (only recently did Sony add an update to dim it), accelerates battery drain and didn’t seem to have a worthwhile purpose. Until today, when Sony’s Jed Ashforth told TechRadar that it was meant for Sony’s Project Morpheus VR headset all along.

Ashforth is Senior Designer at Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, and he — and the rest of the company — was sworn to secrecy. “The tracking light… it was our department that said we need that on. It was for tracking for VR,” Ashforth said. He goes on lament that fact that Sony had to bite their tongue and bide their time when users started complaining about the light bar reflecting in their TVs — a valid concern for those of us with glossy panels.

Untitled1.png

Sony’s Project Morpheus VR Headset

Thus far, the public’s perception of the light bar’s purpose was essentially what Sony has told us: it’s a glorified status indicator. Some developers use it to indicate Player 1 or Player 2, others as low health warnings. But Sony hasn’t yet utilized it in a meaningful way — at least not to the extent that it justifies its inclusion on the DualShock 4. That warm glow of the light bar always reminded me of the Move’s pulsing lights. Now we know.

Sony’s Project Morpheus was unveiled at this year’s GDC, and is intended to become the console’s virtual reality answer to the PC-powered Oculus Rift headset. It works in conjunction with the Playstation Eye camera and embedded sensors to track head orientation and movement in 3D space. Sony has spent 3+ years working on the technology.

Project Morpheus still carries several questions: How much will it cost? Will games be designed exclusively for the VR headset or will it present more of an augmented experience? Will it remain a PlayStation-only experience? We know that the headset can accept an external HDMI source, so will Sony eventually tackle the Oculus Rift head on in the PC space?

One thing I’m certain of is that Sony will come out guns blazing at this year’s E3, and today’s nugget of truth is probably the first of many a strategically planned move with respect to Sony’s VR plans. Expect a flood of Project Morpheus news and demos at the annual gaming convention.

So if we don't want VR, we're stuck with the lightbar? I know there's a dimmer now, but I imagine it's still a decent draw on the battery.

It would be nice if Sony offered two versions of the DS4, one with the lightbar and one without. I'm sure a lot of people won't give two shits about VR so it sucks that they're stuck with the lightbar. That being said, it is kind of cool and I'm interested to see how everything will work out in the end. 

Parker

• Like 2

Yeah, there is some cool stuff the light bar has been used for (flashlight on camera in Outlast, health in KZ, powers in Infamous, etc), but I've found it does tend to reduce battery life quite a bit (so I've dimmed it with the most recent PS4 update).

I don't really care about VR; but admittedly, it would be kind of cool to have. We'll have to wait and see how it develops in the coming years. Who knows? It might actually become the new thing...

Yeah, there is some cool stuff the light bar has been used for (flashlight on camera in Outlast, health in KZ, powers in Infamous, etc), but I've found it does tend to reduce battery life quite a bit (so I've dimmed it with the most recent PS4 update).

I don't really care about VR; but admittedly, it would be kind of cool to have. We'll have to wait and see how it develops in the coming years. Who knows? It might actually become the new thing...

I didn't even think of dimming it to save power. Thanks for that. I'm interested in VR, but not sold on it. I really don't know what to think about it honestly.

Apart from the typical tapping sound it makes when playing fast phased games, I think my mind got used to it in the long-run until awhile. I feel I can ignore the light-bar too. meh what really bothers me right now is the Morpheus VR headset design. The center part connecting the frame with the device looks to thin. I don't know I just hope it doesn't end up like my Elite Pluse headset. I mean it's okay to make it slimmer as possible but the Oculus seems more stable in design. oh my, I really hope they are taking their sweet time doing it right. :shakefist:

It would be nice if Sony offered two versions of the DS4, one with the lightbar and one without. I'm sure a lot of people won't give two shits about VR so it sucks that they're stuck with the lightbar. That being said, it is kind of cool and I'm interested to see how everything will work out in the end. 

Parker

This is something I'd definitely like to see. I won't say they'll never do it since they weren't going to let us adjust or turn off the light bar at first either but I would definitely. Of course a person can just take their DS4 apart and disconnect the cable for the light bar but that's not exactly something we should have to do either since it's main purpose was for VR.

Ironically this seems rather similar to Kinect on 360 so I'm sure it'll be just as popular lol.