Do I have to do another run?

47 minutes ago, x410xDragon said:

It is not too bad. Remember how I said Spelunker mode is just tedious? That is just what it is: tedious. The checkpoint system is weird in the Dark Tower, but you can do it!

The Giga Sword makes most (if not all) encounters trivial if you spec it correctly. Don't let (multiple) deaths sway you from completing the game; 3DDGH is a brilliant game and was of my favorite games on the PS3. 

Yep, the checkpoints in the Dark Tower are really weird and actually lack common sense.

My Giga Sword is fully upgraded actually. I just have to get it back in this run which does not happen until I get the light orb first. Again, thanks for the support, I am actually trying to tough it out. I mean I now got so far that I have cleared the Flame Temple so I guess even with it's difficulty I might be able to pull this off.

Unfortunately I can't say I share your love for this game. You see I really wanted to love this game but the issues I have discribed here several times really just make this entire experience unbearably irksome to me. And this has nothing to do with trophies or Spelunker. Everything about Spelunker was just my worries about tackling this mode because suffering through Normal mode was so devoid of fun. If anything, I enjoy Spelunker more actually because I'm not thinking about having fun at all and am just trying to accomplish my mission and clear this thing. Normal mode however I wanted to enjoy but the broken mechanics just didn't allow me to do so. I can see why you might love it. I want to love it too. But the game is just doing too much of a good job to make this be one of my least favorite gaming experiences ever, which is a damn pity.

32 minutes ago, TurtlePM said:

I got my Platinum trophy in 2020 after being like 6 years in my backlog. I can't help anyone here with specific details about some sections of the game, but I still remember the moment I decided to give up on the platinum (like some people here) and the moment I decided "This game is amazing, the platinum icon is amazing, I have to get it done". Thankfully, the US version got a patch that carries all weapons to new games, something the EU doesn't (which makes this platinum significantly easier in comparison).

I gave up on the platinum when I was getting all the swords until I noticed I missed some conversations in the cave (like the OP). You must talk to them every time you complete a dungeon.

Yeah, for the Moon Sword I will actually be following the guide when playing FROM mode. So I guess I will not miss out on any conversations then... I hope.^^'

The best suggestion I can give you is to farm some small bricks in the desert in your first playthrough until you get the Giga Sword to the max. Focus on this sword only. Then use the spelunker code to unlock this mode and complete it. Since you can't take damage, your Sword will always be gigantic, killing all enemies easily as soon as you enter a new room. There is a Glitch (only in this mode) that makes you invincible for a short period of time if you run into a wall - this is perfect to strike hard on bosses or to reposition yourself in battle. There are guides online that help you where to go next. For some specific reason I can't recall, I did the "not save the princess" ending. Focus on doing the essential to complete the story as fast as possible.

Wait, we can farm small bricks in the desert? How?

One thing a lot of people forget about: there is a magic shield that protects you from ALL attacks (making the final boss a joke to kill or add to the bestiary) - I think you get it after saving one of the fairies, still not 100% sure. This one must be collected in all playthrough, even Spelunker. Not all sections have a wall to perform the glitch, so keep your shield up every time you enter a new area.

Sorry to disagree but I can from personal experience confirm that this is NOT true. I don't even know why everybody keeps saying that but the Hero Shield, which is supposed to be the strongest shield in the game and block all of Onyx' attacks does NOT block all of his attacks. I have died several times on Normal difficulty from his purple shots (specifically the bullet hell variation of his purple shots) because those attacks were unblockable. This has nothing to do with positioning or the angle the shots come at you. You just cannot block this variation. The regular purple shots can be blocked. The big purple shot that he charges up I haven't even tried blocking and always avoided as you have the time window for that. But the bullet hell variation is unblockable even with the Hero Shield. It's not a "I've heard the story from a cousing of my uncles friend" kind of thing. I've literally experienced this myself.

As soon you finish this mode, start FROM mode and focus on 100% completion. Your memory will still fresh with the level design, strategies... Plus you don't die in one hit so this last playthrough should be easier. Take your time and check a guide to confirm you didn't miss anything (like talking with the people inside the cave).

After some weeks playing the game, I knew everything I need to do and where to go, I ended up enjoying the challenge and got my platinum.

Don't give up 😀 a vow for the people who got all swords in one single playthrough for the EU version, including more restricted Racing times.

That's the idea. If I actually manage to clear this then I will be tackling FROM right after this. Again thanks for the support.^^

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ivotas said:

Wait, we can farm small bricks in the desert? How?

It's a tedious process, but you can do it in the upper part of the map (close to where you find the spelunker). There is a zig-zag portion with columns filled with scorpions (you need the rope to grap on if you want to reach them) and other types of enemies. Basically you move left and they spawn, kill them with the Giga Sword, move right and then left again to make them respawm. There is a small rate for one or two of the enemies you defeat to drop a small brick. I used this method to farm small bricks to fully upgrade my Giga. I believe this is the only method for the EU version to platinum the game, as there are not enough small bricks to get all swords "legitimately" - I believe you can replay mini-games, but that will take hours longer. I'd suggest looking for a video for this method, but I remember it was something like A2 (if A1 is where the spelunker or a sign is) in a grid map I used from gamefaqs.

13 minutes ago, Ivotas said:

Sorry to disagree but I can from personal experience confirm that this is NOT true. I don't even know why everybody keeps saying that but the Hero Shield, which is supposed to be the strongest shield in the game and block all of Onyx' attacks does NOT block all of his attacks. I have died several times on Normal difficulty from his purple shots (specifically the bullet hell variation of his purple shots) because those attacks were unblockable. This has nothing to do with positioning or the angle the shots come at you. You just cannot block this variation. The regular purple shots can be blocked. The big purple shot that he charges up I haven't even tried blocking and always avoided as you have the time window for that. But the bullet hell variation is unblockable even with the Hero Shield. It's not a "I've heard the story from a cousing of my uncles friend" kind of thing. I've literally experienced this myself.

Then you're doing something wrong. I always used this Shield to protect me from his attacks and I'm 100% sure that's was the way to defeat him without taking damage, bestiary and spelunker mode (so 3 times the same method). If you stand still in the middle, none of the balls will hit you. This is because the balls will hit directly the Shield, other positions might hit you from the side if you're don't Shield upwards. Some videos show this method as well, so there must be something you're doing wrong. You can test it again by holding R1 to block as soon as the battle starts. Make sure you have the right Shield equipped. 

3 hours ago, TurtlePM said:

It's a tedious process, but you can do it in the upper part of the map (close to where you find the spelunker). There is a zig-zag portion with columns filled with scorpions (you need the rope to grap on if you want to reach them) and other types of enemies. Basically you move left and they spawn, kill them with the Giga Sword, move right and then left again to make them respawm. There is a small rate for one or two of the enemies you defeat to drop a small brick. I used this method to farm small bricks to fully upgrade my Giga. I believe this is the only method for the EU version to platinum the game, as there are not enough small bricks to get all swords "legitimately" - I believe you can replay mini-games, but that will take hours longer. I'd suggest looking for a video for this method, but I remember it was something like A2 (if A1 is where the spelunker or a sign is) in a grid map I used from gamefaqs.

Wait, are you talking about coins when you say bricks? I thought you meant blocks. If it's coins then I already know of that. That's how I upgraded my Giga Sword.

3 hours ago, TurtlePM said:

Then you're doing something wrong. I always used this Shield to protect me from his attacks and I'm 100% sure that's was the way to defeat him without taking damage, bestiary and spelunker mode (so 3 times the same method). If you stand still in the middle, none of the balls will hit you. This is because the balls will hit directly the Shield, other positions might hit you from the side if you're don't Shield upwards. Some videos show this method as well, so there must be something you're doing wrong. You can test it again by holding R1 to block as soon as the battle starts. Make sure you have the right Shield equipped. 

Trust me, I played around with all possible variations to see if I was doing something wrong. Turns out it really is broken. I said several times in this thread now that I believe that my game might even be bugged because things happen to me that don't happen in the guides even when I'm doing the exact same thing. Pretty much the reason why I'm not enjoying playing this.

Sorry for the double post but I just have to give props to all of you guys, that is @Pumpkin Head Cthulhu, @x410xDragon, @Vulpine9Tails, @DeepEyes7 and @TurtlePM for your support. I've just cleared Spelunker mode, which has been all kinds of horrible. But I don't care, I'm just glad that this is over now and I never would have made it if it wasn't for you guys being such absolute legends and giving hope. It is much appreciated.

On a funny note, could anybody here please fill me in on why exactly I died to Onyx in this attempt below? 😂😂😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pumpkin Head Cthulhu said:

That was weird, I have no idea what happened there. You appear and while still "loading in" boom dead before an attack even appeared on screen.

That's why I've been saying that I think my game might be bugged. There's weird things happening that no one else seems to report on. This one was a first though. That thing that broke me the most especially in the Dark Tower were the mage's that teleported on top of my head. So glad this is done with now.

Congrats on clearing Spelunker mode.

Thanks mate. Now FROM mode is all that's left. Stuck with the Dash Circuit here atm. That will take a few days I guess.^^'

5 minutes ago, Ivotas said:

Thanks mate. Now FROM mode is all that's left. Stuck with the Dash Circuit here atm. That will take a few days I guess.^^'

The Dash Circuit is probably the hardest thing in 3DGDH as it varies on the version you have. The NA version is slightly easier than the EU and JP versions due to the 5 seconds added in the NA version's Dash Circuit, but.....I cannot imagine that would be a huge difference if you keep at it. As with everything mentioned, just take a break every now and then if the Dash Circuit becomes a bother.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, x410xDragon said:

The Dash Circuit is probably the hardest thing in 3DGDH as it varies on the version you have. The NA version is slightly easier than the EU and JP versions due to the 5 seconds added in the NA version's Dash Circuit, but.....I cannot imagine that would be a huge difference if you keep at it. As with everything mentioned, just take a break every now and then if the Dash Circuit becomes a bother.

I had to take a week long break when I did the dash circuits; I was trying so hard for so long I skinned my thumb. But the sheer elation I felt after was like nothing else. The thought of redoing them on this account however 👀

• Like 1

7 hours ago, x410xDragon said:

4 hours ago, Vulpine9Tails said:

I had to take a week long break when I did the dash circuits; I was trying so hard for so long I skinned my thumb. But the sheer elation I felt after was like nothing else. The thought of redoing them on this account however 👀

Yeah, that one really is a tough cookie. The problem I'm having here is that unlike with other challenges of this sort here getting better is inconsistent. What I mean by that is that for other games getting slightly better was constent.

For example in Wipeout HD there was thus Zone Zeus trophy which is likely my favorite hard trophy ever. I have to reach Zone 75 to get the trophy. In the beginning I best I could do was about Zone 25. But keeping at it I quickly got to 30-35 consistently. Then 40 then 45 and so on. Once I got to a Zone I never dropped down hugely again. Like if I get that familiar to reach Zone 55 having a Zone 35 again just won't happen because you have adapted so well to the speed.

But Dash Circuit doesn't seem to be like that. Thankfully I have the NA version and I've already reached 27:09 seconds as my personal best. But I cannot get there consistantly. Heck, I even dropped back to 41 at some point which proves that I'm not really adapting. Still not gonna give up though. Again, thanks for the support guys.😊

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ivotas said:

That's why I've been saying that I think my game might be bugged. There's weird things happening that no one else seems to report on. This one was a first though. That thing that broke me the most especially in the Dark Tower were the mage's that teleported on top of my head. So glad this is done with now.

Dash Circuit even with the patch took me a very long time, it was the hardest thing in the game for me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pumpkin Head Cthulhu said:

Dash Circuit even with the patch took me a very long time, it was the hardest thing in the game for me.

Feeling this exact sentiment right now. I'm mostly playing with the D-Pad but I feel that the quick turns around the trees in Block Circuit are easier with :l3:. However everything else is worth with it, which makes me wonder if I should just invest a bit more time getting more familiar with :l3: or just stick with the D-Pad.🤔

5 hours ago, Ivotas said:

Feeling this exact sentiment right now. I'm mostly playing with the D-Pad but I feel that the quick turns around the trees in Block Circuit are easier with :l3:. However everything else is worth with it, which makes me wonder if I should just invest a bit more time getting more familiar with :l3: or just stick with the D-Pad.🤔

Try it one way for several tries then switch and see which works best for you, if you already tried that then I am not sure. I do not remember how I did it myself.

• Like 1

Try it one way for several tries then switch and see which works best for you, if you already tried that then I am not sure. I do not remember how I did it myself.

Did it and I do think that I can get a better feel for :l3: actually if I am allowed to get used to it. The only problem with :l3: however is that it sometimes stops my character it his tracks. Not really sure if this has anything to do with sticks being designed to be more sensitive or if this is just another moment where my game is acting weird. =/

22 hours ago, Vulpine9Tails said:

I plan on doing the EU version at some point; however, with what is either coming out soon (for example: FFVII Rebirth) or other games that are in my actual backlog first, varies. 

• Like 1

Ok, I've finally cleared the first Dash Circuit (Block Circuit) and it was horrible. Not here to complain though but to ask (and also come clean) if the exploit I've used is something people know or did I actually come up with this myself.

What I tried today after making clearly no progress for the past three days is seeing if I can use the pause feature to my advantage. Basically I started the run and then mashed the pause button when the hard turns were about to take place. It's a bit tricky but if you pause at an optimal frame you can actually change the direction of your character while paused. I'll explain with a simple example.

Let's say you use this on the first turn immediately. Just start the race press start immediately after your character starts running to the right. Then mash the button quickly to unpause and pause again and stop there to first see where your character stands. Repeat this process as many times and necessary until your character stands at a spot where he would be able to make a turn. Now, while paused the 'up' button pressed, then unpause and immediately pause the game again. Your character will now be facing up and running in that direct. Rinse and repeat with all the sharp turns.

This takes a few tries because you will have to pause at the correct moment which is why mashing of the start button is recommended. Also you might still mess up (I sure as hell did). But the timer definitely stops and you should be fine. Also one thing to keep in mind is that when you get the notification of 'Lap 2' or 'Final Lap' you won't be able to pause. So be prepared to actually run during that section. Luckily however the Start/Finish line and the first turn are the longest straigth forward runs in the entire circuit so it's easy to play legit here.

I know, it's a cheap way to get this out of the way but this game has thrown so much cheap stuff at me (example in the video above) that it is more than carthartic to me to return the favor. So I figured I'd share here in case this is not really familiar knowledge. If it isn't I maybe should make an individual thread for this as help for everyone who struggles with this in the future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ivotas said:

Hardest of the 3? I thought there were only two😱

Oh my mistake - I thought their was 3, but it seems you were correct when saying their is only 2. The second one is the hardest with completing the circuit in 60 seconds or 65 seconds if you have the NA version.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, x410xDragon said:

Oh my mistake - I thought their was 3, but it seems you were correct when saying their is only 2. The second one is the hardest with completing the circuit in 60 seconds or 65 seconds if you have the NA version.

Got me scarred there for a second. Still I'm shocked to find out that the second one is harder. The first one was brutal already and I thought that it being shorter also meant it's more difficult. Not looking forward to do the second one.😭

Hey guys, it's me again with another question. To put it simply, what exactly is a 'perfect clear' in Block Defence? Might sound like a stupid question but let me explain why I ask. You see I thought perfect meant exactly that, PERFECT. Whenever I got hit and lost coins I didn't consider it as perfect. In those cases I always hit retry. And as it just so happened, just now I've made it to the final stretch of the 'Cactus Desert' block defense game. Everything went well until I actually ran into one of the three knights and lost some coins. I was ready to hit retry but I figured that I might as well just finish it. And do my great surprise it said that a perfect round deserves a special reward to I got my Block.

This totally took me be surprise. Is getting hit not imperfect? Is this a bug/glitch or is it actually supposed to be like this? Just curious if it's ok to continue with the game or if I should retry again. I'd really appreciate feedback here as always.^^
'

2 hours ago, Ivotas said:

Hey guys, it's me again with another question. To put it simply, what exactly is a 'perfect clear' in Block Defence? Might sound like a stupid question but let me explain why I ask. You see I thought perfect meant exactly that, PERFECT. Whenever I got hit and lost coins I didn't consider it as perfect. In those cases I always hit retry. And as it just so happened, just now I've made it to the final stretch of the 'Cactus Desert' block defense game. Everything went well until I actually ran into one of the three knights and lost some coins. I was ready to hit retry but I figured that I might as well just finish it. And do my great surprise it said that a perfect round deserves a special reward to I got my Block.

This totally took me be surprise. Is getting hit not imperfect? Is this a bug/glitch or is it actually supposed to be like this? Just curious if it's ok to continue with the game or if I should retry again. I'd really appreciate feedback here as always.^^

If memory serves, it is just completing the mini-game and killing all the enemies that spawn for a 'Perfect' run.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, x410xDragon said:

If memory serves, it is just completing the mini-game and killing all the enemies that spawn for a 'Perfect' run.

So as long as no enemy makes it through it counts as perfect? What a noob I am! I literally retried every single time I got hit thinking it would void the perfect score.😖

Thank you so much for confirming that. With three more block defense games still ahead of me this is definitely good to know.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Ok, I'm back again with yet another question, which is unironically related to the actual first post. It's about aquiring the Moon Sword. I'm following EggHeadFools guide and am always reading a little ahead just to not mess things up, which is where I found a part that seems to contradict itself. It says that you get the Moon Sword after getting all the key items which is fair enough. However it says this in a section before you actually enter the Dark Tower. And then it links to a deeper guide for the Moon Sword that says that besides finishing all the events you also have to get a perfect score on all minigames. However, the final minigame you can only actually play AFTER you've defeated Onyx and continue from that save file. So how exactly am I supposed to get the Moon Sword before entering the Dark Tower when one requirement can only be achieved AFTER conquering it?

I hope you somebody can provide some helpful insight here because I seriously never want to play through the Monaca Circuit again.

Edit:
Ugh, it seems that the minigames are not necessary for the NA version. Thank god. Still got me confused for the order because in the Japanese version.^^'

Edited by Ivotas