Pentiment is 120fps on PS5 (60fps on Xbox)

turniplord

I posted about this on Reddit at launch, yet a lot of people called me a liar and started spreading false info to make out I was wrong...

Well, a guy on YouTube has confirmed I was correct and posted a comparison video showing the framerate on both platforms, proving the Xbox First-Party game runs at double the framerate on the PlayStation 5

Now, in this type of game 120fps isn't needed as the game itself has stylised low framerate animations, but camera movements are smoother.

But, the point is, the port wasn't downgraded - if anything, it was upgraded to be the best console version. So, the other three games should also be good ports, we may even see performance gains on those - as well as DualSense support.

I just thought this was quite interesting and 'funny'. I'm glad MS didn't tell their developers to purposely limit or degrade certain aspects like we've seen with other games in the past (we happy few and Psychonauts 2, for example).

• Haha 4

34 minutes ago, turniplord said:

I posted about this on Reddit at launch, yet a lot of people called me a liar and started spreading false info to make out I was wrong...

Well, a guy on YouTube has confirmed I was correct and posted a comparison video showing the framerate on both platforms, proving the Xbox First-Party game runs at double the framerate on the PlayStation 5

Now, in this type of game 120fps isn't needed as the game itself has stylised low framerate animations, but camera movements are smoother.

But, the point is, the port wasn't downgraded - if anything, it was upgraded to be the best console version. So, the other three games should also be good ports, we may even see performance gains on those - as well as DualSense support.

I just thought this was quite interesting and 'funny'. I'm glad MS didn't tell their developers to purposely limit or degrade certain aspects like we've seen with other games in the past (we happy few and Psychonauts 2, for example).

JUST EMBRASSING!!! XBOX is not a console :) its 3rd party :) LOL

21 hours ago, Titanomachy_75 said:

JUST EMBRASSING!!! XBOX is not a console :) its 3rd party :) LOL

You're best off playing the game rather than senseless 'console war' drivel. I assure you Pentiment definitely does not require VRR / 120 FPS and I'd further argue 99% of people aren't going to appreciate any difference at all when playing. It is an excellent game that you should rightly give attention to if you had previously not played it. It's a wonderful, genius little passion project that has a surprising amount to say about the art and pitfalls of retelling history. It's a real headscratcher to me seeing this fixation online about a meaningless frame rate difference for a game many folks wrote off as being irrelevant back in 2022. Perhaps it's that very lack of self-awareness that baffles me the most. Once again, I highly recommend playing the game!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HoboHikerMan said:

You're best off playing the game rather than senseless 'console war' drivel. I assure you Pentiment definitely does not require VRR / 120 FPS and I'd further argue 99% of people aren't going to appreciate any difference at all when playing. It is an excellent game that you should rightly give attention to if you had previously not played it. It's a wonderful, genius little passion project that has a surprising amount to say about the art and pitfalls of retelling history. It's a real headscratcher to me seeing this fixation online about a meaningless frame rate difference for a game many folks wrote off as being irrelevant back in 2022. Perhaps it's that very lack of self-awareness that baffles me the most. Once again, I highly recommend playing the game!

As I mentioned in my original post, the purpose of pointing this out was simply to show that the port is technically better than the Xbox version, meaning the upcoming ports should also be good versions rather than downgraded.

This game doesn't need anything above 60fps, even 30fps would have been fine, but we 'should' get the 120fps mode in Sea of Thieves and we may see some improvements in HiFi Rush and Grounded (outside of DS support).

I was just surprised Xbox didn't tell the devs to keep the game the same or worse. Psychonauts 2 only got Gen 9 support on Xbox, same with Hellblade. We Happy Few only got One X support as they were told not to support the PS4 pro, same with The Outer Worlds. Etc...

So it's nice seeing Xbox apparently letting the developers and their porting partners take full advantage of the PS consoles.