Forum Activity on Home page

I really like the community here and enjoy reading new topics in the Forums. That said, my subjective opinion about "Post the last trophy you earned", "What Are You Listening To?", "The Last TV Show You Saw", "League of Trophy hunters Beta" (really, still in Beta, what are you, Google?) and similar topics is as low as can be for the fact that no new conversation is really started. These topics are obviously popular, based on the number of replies, but don't provide any real substance to the forums. That and the same people seem to post repeatedly, obviously they're well aware of where to find these threads.

That said the topics that are new and interesting quickly get knocked off the homepage because of those types of threads. It would be great if threads with over 1000 replies didn't populate on the homepage. They don't benefit from the attention of new visitors like other topics would.

OR, allow me, when logged in, to ignore threads completely. That wouldn't help the site, but would help my sanity.

Just click on the "new posts" button. You'll get all the threads with replies in that you haven't read. And they're sorted by latest activity. Every newly made thread shows up here aswell. 

You can even go further here, and filter exactly wich sections of the forums show up. I'm sure with a bit of experimenting you can tweak the forum to your likings =)

There's definitely a massive divide in the odds that a thread will be viewed if it's showing up on the home page or not. The way it works now also sort of encourages people to bump their own threads so they get them back on the homepage, although I'm not sure if that's actually an issue or not. The forum games use to get loads of activity here before they stopped appearing on the homepage after which point they mostly all fizzled out, which isn't a terrible thing. I'm inclined to strongly agree with you that I'm a lot more interested in threads that involve an actual discussion over threads that basically exist for the sole purpose of farming posts and likes (I'm looking at you post the last X...)

I don't really know what the best system would be but I think it's an interesting discussion. If nothing else I feel like the Media Room stuff shouldn't appear on the home page. If forum games are deemed unworthy than so should all this other off-topic stuff. 

• Like 1

I like those kind of threads. It allows me to see what people are doing. There's always at least some kind of threads like those on every forum, not just on PSNProfiles. 

I'm not saying kill those threads. They're obviously what some people are into and are 100% effective in farming posts. I wouldn't care if there were tons more, I just don't think they're useful in generating great forums from visitors to the homepage. I'm only talking about filtering the homepage.

Just click on the "new posts" button. You'll get all the threads with replies in that you haven't read. And they're sorted by latest activity. Every newly made thread shows up here aswell. 

You can even go further here, and filter exactly wich sections of the forums show up. I'm sure with a bit of experimenting you can tweak the forum to your likings =)

My routine is to pop open the homepage in a tab, look at the Forum Activity part, and if there is an interesting topic, read it. If there is nothing interesting, which is likely if 6 of the 13 entries are farming posts, I close the tab and move on. I rarely go so far as to just click on forums and do anything from there. My routine is probably very similar to any first time visitor and lots of infrequent visitors who might add great commentary to the forums.

deal with it

I see the sunshine crew has shown up. You're a perfect example of what makes this community so great. Thanks for adding to the conversation! And happy belated birthday.

Edited by DaivRules

I'm not saying kill those threads. They're obviously what some people are into and are 100% effective in farming posts. I wouldn't care if there were tons more, I just don't think they're useful in generating great forums from visitors to the homepage. I'm only talking about filtering the homepage.

My routine is to pop open the homepage in a tab, look at the Forum Activity part, and if there is an interesting topic, read it. If there is nothing interesting, which is likely if 6 of the 13 entries are farming posts, I close the tab and move on. I rarely go so far as to just click on forums and do anything from there. My routine is probably very similar to any first time visitor and lots of infrequent visitors who might add great commentary to the forums.

I see the sunshine crew has shown up. You're a perfect example of what makes this community so great. Thanks for adding to the conversation! And happy belated birthday.

If no interests in that section interest you, the "Recent Topics" section in the top right of the forum homepage may be a good place to look too :)

While it does clutter the recent posts section somewhat, I think that "Post your latest x" type threads should stay. Some people are genuinely interested in what people have recently accomplished.

If no interests in that section interest you, the "Recent Topics" section in the top right of the forum homepage may be a good place to look too :)

While it does clutter the recent posts section somewhat, I think that "Post your latest x" type threads should stay. Some people are genuinely interested in what people have recently accomplished.

I'm not sure you even read my post or follow-up post.