Chance encounters trophy bugged

Khejin

Hi all,

I think I might have locked myself out of the platinum. I'm only missing the "Fancy Meeting You Here" trophy, I'm currently at 36/50 encounters and since I was not finding any for over 30 minutes I reloaded the latest save I had (from 5 hours before), the game deleted the last autosave I was playing and now the counter stopped counting encounters. I've done encounters on multiple saves and even restarted a new story, nothing happens and the counter is always at 36.

The options in my opinion are two:

1) There are 50 unique encounters in the game and I have not found any new. So, having replayed about 10 out of the 36 I correctly did the game did not count them. This option makes no sense to me since it's almost impossible that having done at least 10 random encounters none of them was a new one.

2) For some reason the counter only works with the original save (that I lost), locking me out of the trophy. Since I've achieved all other trophies I cannot test if this is the case (I might have done a bond mission that I still haven't done on my first save on a new only to see if the counter worked, unfortunately I can't).

Does anyone have any suggestion? What solution could I pursue? I honestly have spent 80 euros and I want this platinum...

Do you know where to report this bug and if the developers know about it?

Thanks. 

Edited by Khejin

If I would make a guess its none of both and maybe it uses an ingame counter per playtrough and you just reset yours to a lower number and it first needs to build up again to 36 before going higher. But even that might not be true.

"50 Chance Encounters: Do rise-of-the-ronin-chance-encounter-icon. Chance Encounters whenever you see them. You need 50 total of them. They are random events. If you always do them you won’t have to spend so much time looking for them later."

Its just random, you just have to keep looking for them, don't think its a bug at all just unlucky to find one. It's not that they where all over the place to begin with, so yeah maybe you just rushed a bit to much.

Edited by Bunkerbudy

Yours is a good guess, honestly I think that must be the solution, on the save I’m currently playing I should be at around 19 encounters, I’ll try to do 17 of them and then see if the 18th will restart the counter.

The description is not clear indeed, because it doesn’t specify “do 50 chance encounters in a single playtrought” or something similar, the result is that on my profile there are more than 50 encounters but the trophy still isn’t mine… in-game counters and more clear descriptions would really be appreciated nowadays…

14 hours ago, Khejin said:

Hi all,

I think I might have locked myself out of the platinum. I'm only missing the "Fancy Meeting You Here" trophy, I'm currently at 36/50 encounters and since I was not finding any for over 30 minutes I reloaded the latest save I had (from 5 hours before), the game deleted the last autosave I was playing and now the counter stopped counting encounters. I've done encounters on multiple saves and even restarted a new story, nothing happens and the counter is always at 36.

The options in my opinion are two:

1) There are 50 unique encounters in the game and I have not found any new. So, having replayed about 10 out of the 36 I correctly did the game did not count them. This option makes no sense to me since it's almost impossible that having done at least 10 random encounters none of them was a new one.

2) For some reason the counter only works with the original save (that I lost), locking me out of the trophy. Since I've achieved all other trophies I cannot test if this is the case (I might have done a bond mission that I still haven't done on my first save on a new only to see if the counter worked, unfortunately I can't).

Does anyone have any suggestion? What solution could I pursue? I honestly have spent 80 euros and I want this platinum...

Do you know where to report this bug and if the developers know about it?

Thanks. 

The trophy trackers on PS5 can get messed up depending on how a game counts things.  So if the game counts them on the save file directly, and that save file was overwritten by an old one then the ingame count would revert to the count on that save file. 

Unfortunately Sony didn't design the trophy counter to revert back to the lesser amount of older save files, so the trophy counter will be 'stuck at the amount it's currently at until that save file surpasses it.  It's frustrating, and I wish more devs took that into consideration by tying it to a profile save that keeps universal track, rather than individual saves. 

There are more than 50 in the game though, with many repeated, so you should eventually get it.  Just don't go exclusively by the trophy tracker.  There is also the small chance the trophy will pop at 50 total regardlessof the 5 hour save being overwritten, but the tracker won't update past what it's at.  Spider-Man 2 had a tracker that wasn't properly updating, but the trophy popped anyways when hitting the amount needed ingame.

7 hours ago, CelestialRequiem said:

Interesting that you didn't even find that many during your time with the game. I'm still in Chapter 1, and I have 32/50. Maybe I've gotten really lucky.

I didn't do them while playing the story, I started doing them after I finished the campaign.

7 hours ago, Snake2410 said:

The trophy trackers on PS5 can get messed up depending on how a game counts things.  So if the game counts them on the save file directly, and that save file was overwritten by an old one then the ingame count would revert to the count on that save file. 

Unfortunately Sony didn't design the trophy counter to revert back to the lesser amount of older save files, so the trophy counter will be 'stuck at the amount it's currently at until that save file surpasses it.  It's frustrating, and I wish more devs took that into consideration by tying it to a profile save that keeps universal track, rather than individual saves. 

There are more than 50 in the game though, with many repeated, so you should eventually get it.  Just don't go exclusively by the trophy tracker.  There is also the small chance the trophy will pop at 50 total regardlessof the 5 hour save being overwritten, but the tracker won't update past what it's at.  Spider-Man 2 had a tracker that wasn't properly updating, but the trophy popped anyways when hitting the amount needed ingame.

Yeah... really frustrating! On the save I'm currently playing I was at about 20/50 so if you are right (and I hope so) I need to do about 16 encounters to make the counter work again. I'll try tonight and hopefully I'll get it

3 hours ago, Khejin said:

I didn't do them while playing the story, I started doing them after I finished the campaign.

Yeah, that definitely explains it.

I made sure to do them whenever they showed up, and I got the trophy despite being early on in chapter 2.

21 hours ago, Snake2410 said:

It's frustrating, and I wish more devs took that into consideration by tying it to a profile save that keeps universal track, rather than individual saves. 

I wish more devs would bother with the trophy tracker at all. Blizzard Activision is a huge company but apparently it was too much work for them to let Diablo 4 use the trophy tracker 😒 But even Sony-published games aren't always using it, hello Helldivers 2!

Really grinds my gears. It should be a mandatory-to-implement feature of the console.

• Like 1

Trophy just unlocked normally for me. I did them everytime one popped up while doing other collectables in every zone and not even finished story yet. So for me it did not bug but maybe do them before you finish story while doing every collectable in every zone? 

• Like 3

I found 2 chance encounters right away in the first area. I have played for hours since then, and cleared multipe zones. No more have showed up no matter how much I run around or where I go. I tried closing out the game and restarting it, and hoped that the latest patch might fix it. But I still haven't found any since the first two, and no more seem to be appearing.

I keep watching for the banner to show up again but nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas why they might not be showing up for me?

Update: Closed the game, and reopened it. Ran around for about 20 minutes with no luck.

Closed and reopened again. They started popping up everywhere every few minutes.

Edited by Gonzo7166