Best AP farming method

Hi guys,

Everywhere I see the best faming method is through Cadley or the VR Battles at the Gold Saucer but, is it? I've found a video of a zone in Gongaga where you get a lot of AP in a short time but the best part is that you level materias on all 7 characters at once! On the VR battles you only get AP for the 3 battling, right?

Anyways, here's the video. Feel free to share best farming methods and I'll update this post.

EDIT: Okay, the above method is fantastic if you need to max out a bunch of materias. Buth when you're only missing a few and the grindy ones, thebes spot is the Colosseum at Gold Saucer. You want to play the Devil-May-Care Desperados. Kill all 8 bandits (use first strike and Cloud's Triple Slash for a quicker time) then quit out and repeat (the white mousse takes a lot to kill and give so less AP). Equip the Chocobo Armband to an extra x3 AP.

Edited by breakXedge

1 hour ago, Nighthawk3541 said:

I felt like doing the devil may care mission in the golden saucer colosseum and quitting out after the first round was the fastest imo

Yeah but the downside is that only the characters used get AP, instead of the Gongaga method where all 7 get AP. But yeah, I'm with you.

Gongaga is good when you have a lot of materia left to level. When you're down to the final few that are requiring over 10,000 AP for the final level, you will want to move to the Colosseum.

I used Devil-May-Care Desperados in the Colosseum. Make sure you're in hard mode. Kill the 8 bandits, quit out, and repeat. Use the Chocobo Armband and AP Up as well.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, NathanW18 said:

Gongaga is good when you have a lot of materia left to level. When you're down to the final few that are requiring over 10,000 AP for the final level, you will want to move to the Colosseum.

I used Devil-May-Care Desperados in the Colosseum. Make sure you're in hard mode. Kill the 8 bandits, quit out, and repeat. Use the Chocobo Armband and AP Up as well.

Why make sure you're in hard mode? I don't think it gives more AP.

I did it in dynamic and was getting as much AP as people who said they did it on hard. I think the AP boost is for chapter select in general, difficulty shouldn't matter.

2 minutes ago, Nick240894 said:

Why make sure you're in hard mode? I don't think it gives more AP.

I did it in dynamic and was getting as much AP as people who said they did it on hard. I think the AP boost is for chapter select in general, difficulty shouldn't matter.

I thought hard gave more AP and EXP. If not, yeah. You may as well stick to an easier difficulty.

Even on hard, one firaga will usually kill everything anyway.

3 hours ago, NathanW18 said:

I thought hard gave more AP and EXP. If not, yeah. You may as well stick to an easier difficulty.

Even on hard, one firaga will usually kill everything anyway.

As far as I remember difficulty boosts EXP only

PowerPyx’s method where you do the Devil-May-Care Desparados bout worked pretty well for me. For the main materia I wanted to max out (slotted in the Chocobo Armlet and linked to AP Up), it generates 280 AP a minute, but I was still able to passively generate AP for all the other materia I had equipped on my characters. Once I maxed out the first, I’d rotate them through.

6 hours ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

PowerPyx’s method where you do the Devil-May-Care Desparados bout worked pretty well for me. For the main materia I wanted to max out (slotted in the Chocobo Armlet and linked to AP Up), it generates 280 AP a minute, but I was still able to passively generate AP for all the other materia I had equipped on my characters. Once I maxed out the first, I’d rotate them through.

Yes, the only downside on the colosseum is that you only level up the materias of the active characters, while in Gongaga you level materias for everyone even if you're not controlling them. It's faster when you need to level up a lot of materias. If you're missing a few, yeah, the colosseum is better (but I have to say that only did Gongaga. just put the chocobo armlet in a character and the harder materias there).

7 hours ago, breakXedge said:

Yes, the only downside on the colosseum is that you only level up the materias of the active characters, while in Gongaga you level materias for everyone even if you're not controlling them. It's faster when you need to level up a lot of materias. If you're missing a few, yeah, the colosseum is better (but I have to say that only did Gongaga. just put the chocobo armlet in a character and the harder materias there).

I'm not familiar with the Gongaga method but using the Musclehead Colosseum method I was able to max out everything anyway because some of the blue materia, like Magnify, Warding, and Elemental all require a LOT of AP, so by the time I had maxed out those, all my other ones were also leveled. 

The best way actually seems to be to load up chapter 13, reset quest data, and do the cat quest in Nibel. Get 1000AP per run (assuming you don’t attack the queen bee so she can continue spawning minions), and then once you’ve killed queen bee you just load up chapter 13 again and repeat

That 1000 is without any AP Ups or the AP armlet, btw. So every materia equipped to a character gets 1000

10 hours ago, madbuk said:

The best way actually seems to be to load up chapter 13, reset quest data, and do the cat quest in Nibel. Get 1000AP per run (assuming you don’t attack the queen bee so she can continue spawning minions), and then once you’ve killed queen bee you just load up chapter 13 again and repeat

That 1000 is without any AP Ups or the AP armlet, btw. So every materia equipped to a character gets 1000

That's insane, wish I knew about this earlier - how long does that quest take to complete? 

1 hour ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

That's insane, wish I knew about this earlier - how long does that quest take to complete? 

Around 5 minutes maybe (including the time spent reloading the chapter and re-accepting the quest.) Could probably stretch that to 10 if you're very lucky with the AI not killing the queen

On 4/12/2024 at 11:13 AM, madbuk said:

This is the way, but just a tip, the best way is to load Chapter 12 and do the same quest, so you have Cait too!

Edit: Actually a correction, load Chapter 12 if you have ALL the materias to level up. If not load Chapter 13 because Cait doesn’t matter at that point and its faster to go to the quest.

The Queen Bee spawns 4-5 workers for 48-60 AP roughly each wave, its much much quicker. You can even do it on Hard and Magnify Fira so the Queen lives longer, no need to restart many times.

Edited by BlackTorito

On 4/5/2024 at 3:13 PM, NathanW18 said:

No need to be in hard mode. You don’t get extra AP in hard 

• Like 2