"Broken Completions"

Go to solution Solved by AJ_-_808,

My account looks a bit sus since I haven't used it since I've moved to PC for my main platform, so bear with me on that.

I understand marking brokens would be a massive undertaking, but it's done wonders for Steam achievement hunting. SteamHunters for example allows people to report said achievements and awards you a "broken completion" instead of just considering the game uncompleted and nothing to show for it. It's just the same thing as a completion but just a different color. Gives an incentive to still play games with brokens and still awards you points for what you could complete of it. Given the massive gap between users on the leaderboards and a general hatred of spam/asset flips, this sort of change might help bring users to play games they wouldn't have played before, soley because it's not "counted" against you along. My SH Completion% is 70.3%, while Steam says it's 69%. I focus on SH% since I'm incentivized to not be picky. I understand it wouldn't necessarily make these games more/less viable but would be a cool change to see. This might also help out people like me who use playstation as a secondary platform. There's a non-zero chance it brings people into this community alongside whatever Steam achievement hunting groups.

Example of Completion Categories

Example of Broken Game Completions

Thanks for hopefully hearing me out, and I understand if this would be too much work. Just thought I'd ask/mention it here since I don't think I've seen anybody mention it in my time using this site.

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Are you talking about unobtainable trophies when you say “brokens”?

That is the impression I got , I’m just worried that “unobtainable” trophies can change if they get patched and may cause confusion, I would assume this would need to be updated by the game information team on a regular basis to accurately work out “broken completion”.

A game can be tagged but not specific trophies (unless in a guide) so I suppose that’s a good place to start working a formula.

Edited by amurnin100

22 minutes ago, amurnin100 said:

That is the impression I got , I’m just worried that “unobtainable” trophies can change if they get patched and may cause confusion, I would assume this would need to be updated by the game information team on a regular basis to accurately work out “broken completion”.

A game can be tagged but not specific trophies (unless in a guide) so I suppose that’s a good place to start working a formula.

More likely, using the Unobtainable thread that Husky uses for PSNP+ is a better and more updated source for the data than throwing it on the Game Information Team as that’s a bit out of the scope of the things they are responsible for. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

Are you talking about unobtainable trophies when you say “brokens”?

I am yes, it's been so long since I've been here that I've forgotten the proper terms.

5 minutes ago, Buhkup said:

Stay on steam.

I don't engage in platform wars, and would hope you don't either. It's not nice and isn't productive. If you have any actual suggestions I'd be down to hear you out. It's an open forum for a reason. Have a good day dude

I like the idea a lot as I own a couple of games with unobtainables. Since the 100% is mandatory for me, I think this needs to be implemented on Sony's end as well, which I honestly don't see happening anytime soon.

Still, a really good idea.🙂

The PSNP+ extension marks unobtainable trophies in orange. The info is sourced from the community. It's an ongoing project with constant improvements. At last count there were 1287 trophy lists with unobtainable trophies.

As for incentive to play games with unobtainables, trophies already have a built in point value that increases your PSN level, and every trophy earned still helps increase your rank on leaderboards and increases your competition percentage in the case of games already started.

Edited by MrHealthy
  • Like 2

• Solution

29 minutes ago, MrHealthy said:

As for incentive to play games with unobtainables, trophies already have a built in point value that increases your PSN level, and every trophy earned still helps increase your rank on leaderboards and increases your competition percentage in the case of games already started.

As a follow up to this statement:

I'm assuming OP means giving extra points (whatever the value of the unobtainable plus the platinum) for completing as much as possible.  Since PSNP's data is pulled from PSN, I don't think anyone would be willing to code that.

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads up everybody. Didn't consider how things might be dependent on Sony, or the way the site is coded. I at the very least learned stuff so not a total loss. I'll have to take a look at PSNP+

I don't agree with this. For example, I would be given extra points for completing Motorstorm now that is easier to earn the platinum? 

I could play any FIFA with 30 online trophies now unobtainable, and it would take me an hour or two to get the platinum. It wouldn't make sense and it would be unfair to those that put the effort to get it on time.

I like the value those trophies have, it shows you've been there and earned it on time, they wouldn't be valuable at all if they just dissapear after servers closed.

Edited by Jeanolt
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jeanolt said:

I don't agree with this. For example, I would be given extra points for completing Motorstorm now that is easier to earn the platinum? 

I could play any FIFA with 30 online trophies now unobtainable, and it would take me an hour or two to get the platinum. It wouldn't make sense and it would be unfair to those that put the effort to get it on time.

I like the value those trophies have, it shows you've been there and earned it on time, they wouldn't be valuable at all if they just dissapear after servers closed.

I read the post quite a few times and I don’t think the intention is to give any extra trophy points, but rather completion percentage points, by way of reducing the point values of the unobtainable trophies. I don’t think it would, say give you the 300 points for an unobtainable platinum, but rather, the completion percentage would instead treat the game as if it didn’t have a platinum, as well as not have the unobtainable trophies, so that once you got everything else, your game would show 100%. 

So Dragon Fin Soup would have its “broken” trophies not count against the completion percentage, nor the platinum and would be 100%-able. 

The inventive is supposed to appeal to completionists I assume, so they can still feel like they’re at 100% of the obtainable trophies, even though they’re really not obtaining all the actual trophies. 

• Like 2