Kill Your Completion - Catch 22

Posted (edited)

Game #1 Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier

L02d551.png

This is the sixth and last game in the Jak and Daxter series and the second one not developped by Naughty Dog. Instead it was made by High Impact Games.

Originally released on the PS2 and PSP in 2009 it is set after the events of the other games in the series.

Jak, the protagonist of the games, his sidekick Daxter and Keira, a friend of Jak are on a journey to find new Eco sources to save the world. On their journey they get attacked by sky pirates near the end of the world. Throught those attacks they are forced to land their ship and find a new source of fuel. After exploring the place the landed on Jak finds a crystal that can transform dark Eco into the other Eco colors. With that crystal Keira is able to repair the ship and they can continue the travel. After some more fights with sky pirates they arrive in a city. Later more pirates attack, more fighting happens which in the end leads to some kind of deal with the pirates.

The gameplay of this game takes mechanics of the previous Jak games like platforming sections and fighting with weapons and melee and adds air fights with an airship to the mix.

The platforming and fighting is pretty straight forward. There is only one way to go so far until you find what you are looking for and then you return.

So far I fought one boss that wasn't too difficult after figuring out the pattern.

During the air battles you shoot at other ships with the different weapons of your own ship. There is a machine gun and missils so far but you can buy more with the scarp you collect for destroying enemie ships. Besides the weapons you can upgrade other parts of the ship like armor and boost and even get other ships.

This game being a rerelease of a 15 years old game means that the graphics aren't really good. But everybody that played games back on the PS2 knows what to expect from those games visually.

Having played and platted Jak 1 - 3 with Jak 2 being the worst of the three I guess I'll try to plat this one as well sometime after the event.

Trophies earned: 10/39

Time played: Around 3h

Rating: 7,0

My next game will be Katamari Damacy Reroll.

@voodoo_eyes I guess you forgot to add me to the list of participants.

Edited by MarkusT1992
  • Like 4

I heard a lot of horror stories about The Lost Frontier being the worst game ever and a bomb. To hear someome say that Jak 2, which everyone hyped, is worse amuses me. (Then again, I would use the debug modes to cheeze all the trophies in Jak 2 since the devs never removed it and I would always fail the missions if I did it legit. I did complete Jak 2 on the original PS2 but it was a nightmare and a half. That one section where you are swarmed by Crimzon Guards is stupid and should be deleted. :angry:)

Anyways, I have four more hours before I can do my review of my second game so I will just keep playing it. It's addicting. :lol:

(Trying to avoid playing other games on your account for the month is very very difficult. I might have to break my rule to get at least one platinum this month.)

Posted (edited)

Game #1 - Baldur's Gate (Enhanced Edition) - Final Impressions

L4eead5.png

Time played: 11h

Trophies earned: 30/55

Since I'm not sure I'll have time to play more of this today, might as well finish up my impressions as they're likely to stay the same.

I'm now in the fourth out of 7 chapters, but I've still several areas left to explore, before heading to the main city. I've recruited my party of 5 (a Fighter, a Fighter/Druid, a Thief, a Monk and a Mage) my own character being a ranger. Two of the characters I picked are new to the enhanced edition of the game. I also already encountered the third one, but he's of a conflicting alignment, so I left him behind. Out of experience, good and evil alignment characters don't go too well together. What initially even seems like a funny bickering between them, on occasion turns to a battle to the death between respective characters that have been butting heads.

I've been steadily progressing the plot, stopping at the surrounding areas to either pick up companions, or do some side-quests before moving on to the next main story bit.

The game still looks great to me and also plays great for the most part. Voice-acting is quite limited, as it was in the original but in this case it doesn't bother me.

There are some minor things that are a bit more annoying to handle on the consoles, due to the lack of the simple click of a mouse.

To select individual characters, you need to cycle through them and I also haven't figured out how to switch the character order. Maybe it's simple and I just missed it.

Overall I still love this game, and is an easy 9/10.

@MarkusT1992 fixed ;)

Edited by voodoo_eyes
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

I know it's 1:43 in the morning and I should be asleep, but I couldn't help it, so let's move on to the review as I did my time for the next three days...

kycreport02.jpg

REVIEW:

As I said, I was doing a sort of "Professor Oak's Challenge" with this game as it was the only way I knew to invest myself into this sequel to the original game... which I haven't even gotten far in. (I just did the first boss, Overseer Ivan, on my PS4 version for the Trophy Slayers club. :()

And boy did that do the trick. As you can see by the image in the screenshot, I earned the trophy for getting over 60 Nexomon. Like Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, once you get past a story point, you can go mostly anywhere, and I was able to get to a couple of places you shouldn't be yet. (In fact the Gravedigger in the first game yells at you for sequence breaking if you try to enter the haunted house early. :lol:) This let get a lot of Nexomon that casual players would miss, and once you get the free EXP cores and Synergy Cores for doing quests and in chests, you can basically piggyback a weak Nexomon to get up in level, and almost all basic Nexomon evolve into their second forms around Level 12-18, which is easily obtained with a little grinding. Also, the cat in the screenshot is your sassy sidekick who tends to break the fourth wall.

This isn't a Pokemon killer, but it is a great game for Pokemon fans who are just a little tired of shiny hunting and aren't afraid to course the field for other mon-taming games. Can't wait for Nexomon 3! ;)

Review Score: 9/10

Profile Completion:  88.98% (-0.59%)

Also, I am going to put down my preview after every review up to the last game so I don't have to double-post...

L944ea1.png

Game #3: Trials of Mana

This is the only Mana game I have left with 0%, and with Visions of Mana popping in summer, I need to get on my A-game.

This is the 3D remake of the original Seiken Densetsu III which was localized in the Mana Collection for the Nintendo Switch. It was released after Secret of Mana and before Legend of Mana and Dawn of Mana. In this game you have six characters, and for the platinum, I have to play as all of them, which means multiple playthroughs. However, I can do this in New Game+ mode which lets me carry over my levels, so I am going to use the same character in all three playthroughs, a really good healer. If you don't know who I'm talking about, then you don't know much about this game. 😜

Anyways, I doubt I will get far on my first playthrough, although chances are I will because, like the last game, I really like this title. ;)

Edited by ProfSeajay7
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, ProfSeajay7 said:

I heard a lot of horror stories about The Lost Frontier being the worst game ever and a bomb. To hear someome say that Jak 2, which everyone hyped, is worse amuses me. (Then again, I would use the debug modes to cheeze all the trophies in Jak 2 since the devs never removed it and I would always fail the missions if I did it legit. I did complete Jak 2 on the original PS2 but it was a nightmare and a half. That one section where you are swarmed by Crimzon Guards is stupid and should be deleted. :angry:)

Anyways, I have four more hours before I can do my review of my second game so I will just keep playing it. It's addicting. :lol:

(Trying to avoid playing other games on your account for the month is very very difficult. I might have to break my rule to get at least one platinum this month.)

I read from quite a few people that Jak 2 is the worst of the games and I can agree so far. The change from a platformer to a GTA style game probably wasn't the best choice, although they improved on that formula in the third game.

49 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

I read from quite a few people that Jak 2 is the worst of the games and I can agree so far. The change from a platformer to a GTA style game probably wasn't the best choice, although they improved on that formula in the third game.

For me the first game was the best, I enjoyed 2 and 3 but not nearly as much. Your discussion here might've convinced me to drop Lost Frontier off my list actually.

Game #1 - Callisto Protocol

spacer.png

Callisto Protocol is a survival horror game that people see as a spiritual successor to Dead Space. I remember hearing about its lukewarm reception at launch but hoped that getting it physically at a large discount would help against any disappointment. I am not a huge fan of what I have played so far. I don't think it is a bad game but it is hard not to compare it against Dead Space.

The game is more of a melee game than a shooter. This really hurts the horror aspect of the game though which surprised me. Running towards enemies rather than trying to keep them at a distance ruins any tension the enemies may cause. Combat can seem pretty difficult at first with tanky enemies and any hits causing your health to drain fast. Once you learn how to dodge properly the difficulty decreases by a large amount. The dodge window is pretty generous. Combat feels very similar throughout so far and the enemy variety isn't great either. Hoping this changes.

The story seems fine. It also looks nice. Even though I was complaining about enemy variety, I don't have any issues with their appearance. Most of my issues are with the gameplay. The game loves jump scares but they happen so often that they lose their effectiveness fast and you can predict when they will appear. I first tried the game while the patch was downloading and it was a buggy mess. I have had zero issues with the patch installed though. The game feels pretty linear for the most part with a few spots that you can wander through different rooms.

I do think I am being a bit too harsh on it. The game is still fun and I really enjoy sci fi horror. If I stopped comparing it against Dead Space, I would probably really enjoy it.

The next game for me is Chernobylite, another survival horror.

• Like 4

Game #2 - Preview

L877fc1.png

Developer: Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio

Publisher: Deep Silver

Genre: Action-Adventure

Price: 19,99

By now I'm quite familiar with this series, although I started somewhat backwards with it. I played the 6th one as my first game, then tried 3-5 and Dead Souls and then circling back to 0 and now the first one.

Out of all of those I only enjoyed 0 and 6, the rest were quite mediocre. So at least I'm fairly certain I won't be in for a bad time, but there's the chance that it's just another ok game.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

spacer.png

Game #5: Mystic Pillars

Playtime: under an hour

Trophy completion: 4/19, weighed as 15%

Meh. The idea is fun but you have to do one puzzle after another instead of choosing at will, and many puzzles depend on seeing the trick. I don't really like it.

I played this yesterday but didn't get around to posting something about it.

Ranking:

Definitely going to play more of

1) Ghost Of Tsushima

2) Maneater

3) Trials Of The Blood Dragon

Probably not

4) Mystic Pillars

Already deleted

5) Power Wash Simulator

Edited by Oobedoob S Benubi
Forgot to mention the name at the top
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

KYC 22

Game No. 1

spacer.png

Playing Time: 6 hours

Trophies Earned: 15/27 (40%)

Final Thoughts: So, Day One of the event and I needed to pivot from the start. Playing time was going to be limited and I didn’t want to get into a lengthy strategy game, so I went with a what looked like a lazy, easy to jump into game. So I was definitely wrong about that!

Joe Wander is an old throwback game, with many sections reminding me of gaming from my youth where you are going to die countless times until you master it. What do the kids call it these days - Git Gud? In Joe Wander, your character is a pretty much updated version of Mario, who jumps, runs, sprints occasionally, but has a whip. The whip is used to kill enemies, swing over abysses, and pull boxes around. Like Mario, Joe’s movements are a bit clunky and you are going to die a lot from him not making jumps, or not timing things right.

Gameplay is equal parts platforming and puzzling. The platform sections are 2D side scrollers, and there are some doozy stretches where it might take a few dozen tries to get through. You can’t manually save, but there are 3-4 save points in each level. The puzzling spots turn to 3D and have nicely evolved as the game has gone on. From pulling boxes to activate switches, other worlds have included moving mirrors for lasers to bounce, and fans to move items or move you up into the air. The puzzling is definitely my favorite aspect of the game and it’s well thought out. I have had to use You Tube on a few puzzles, and it’s bc I wasn’t aware I could interact with a certain item. 
  There are four worlds: Jungle, Egypt, Japan and the Arctic. The graphics are cartoony in a way and look really good on screen. In each world, there are 4-5 levels of the platform/ puzzle ilk, followed by a boss at the end. Each level has 5 hidden coins in it, which you need to find to unlock a bonus level. Some are hard to find and I’ve had to turn to YouTube to locate a few of them. These coins are required if you are going for platinum. 
  The bosses have been interesting so far. The Egypt one took a good 15-20 tries to really figure out the timing and sequence of things. Japan has been a real ball breaker for me. Out of the 6 hours I have put into the game, it feels like a third of it has been spent on the boss level that consists of a dragon following you through a dojo with a ton of platforming traps. Do it wrong and you die instantly. And you go back to the start. As I stated above, it’s Gen X gaming where you just need patience and tenacity to pull though. Similar to some God of War levels. You will find yourself stuck on a part, and then prevailing, only to die stupidly at a previously easy part. Rinse and repeat. We’ve all been there, right?

So I normally depart from games when their time slot is up, but I was close to clearing the boss level in Japan and didn’t want to bail and lose the mental route. Just defeated the dragon and it feels F’ing fantastic! Still not sure if I can platinum this one as there is one world left, and the bonus levels (w/o save points) are diabolical. 
  But if you like Old School Gaming - play this! I’m shocked the number of gamers who have played this is so low here.

Final Ranking: :platinum:

Next Up: Ultimate General Gettysburg

Edited by PerryToxteth
  • Like 3

So, sadly, I realized that I can't avoid playing other games. I do have another account but I really want to get a platinum trophy on this account this month, so I am doing other games on the side. I got a few trophies in Oceanhorn 2 and am running through Nexomon on both versions, grabbing all the unique Nexomon I can. (Still trying to fish out Luhava, that giant bird son of a--- :angry:) I am still playing my list, but I need filler. Hopefully I won't get any platinums until near the end of the month, and these games take a long time.

kycreport03.jpg

I barely got this out on time before I had to leave the house to do my weekly exercise at the local gym. :(

Anyways, here's a quick review. This game is a remaster of the original Seiken Densetsu 3 for the Super Famicon system, which never got localized in the time it came out. They eventually did localize it for The Mana Collection on the Nintendo Switch... and then dropped a bombshell by showing a full 3D version of the game! This, I feel, is the definitive version because I feel that this would have happened if Square-Enix had delayed their game until they could localize it and put it on the Nintendo 64. This game is amazingly detailed and the people who worked on it are so awesome. I enjoyed going through this title again. ^_^

I have just completed Chapter 1 of the story and I could go on, but as I said, I barely got this out in time. Unforutnately, it'd didn't dent my completion because I was busy earning trophies on Oceanhorn 2 and both versions of Nexomon, so I sort of broke my own rule here. But I didn't find any joy playing games on my other accounts right now and FFXIV is being DDoS by hackers who hate Square-Enix, so I couldn't play that game either. Not like I would, I was getting burned out on Stormblood. 😭 This game was a salve for my woes. I highly recommend it if you liked Secret of Mana.

Review Score: 10/10

Current Completion: 88.63% (-0.35%)

I'll have the next preview up as soon as I get back from gym. ;)

• Like 3

I figured I'd kill my completion even harder and I'm going to put some games into this event that I don't even own - in other words I'm going to use PS+ demo versions. That keeps the trophy functionality, right?

For now I'm going to download:

Spider-Man 2 (assumption: fun, but can it wait until it's on PS+ proper?)

Hogwarts (assumption: booooring)

Cyberpunk 2077 (assumption: not as bad as I expected)

Everspace 2 (assumption: why don't I own this yet?)

spacer.png

Game #6: Everspace 2 (demo)

Playtime: under an hour

Trophy completion: 1/39, weighed as 1%

Yeah, it's okay. I was hoping for more of a Rogue Squadron feel, but both the gameplay and the story are more complicated. I also don't like the hidden loading screens, while Elite Dangerous and No Man's Sky years ago both could seamlessly move you from outer space to a planet and a station.

It does seem like fun though. I'll probably get it but the price has to be lower than I initially thought.

Ranking:

1) Ghost Of Tsushima

2) Maneater

Definitely going to buy

Probably going to play more of

Probably going to buy

4) Everspace 2

Probably not going to play more of

5) Mystic Pillars

Probably not going to buy

Already deleted

6) Power Wash Simulator

• Like 2

Time for my next review. Sorry I didn't get on it right away, but after my gym workout, my dad dragged me to his appointment and then we spent an hour eating hamburgers at this really 50s' style diner. Then I took a shower and played Nexomon and... well, time got from me. Better get this out before the next dawn. <_<

L9a03ba.png
Game #4: Chrono Cross

I enjoyed this game a bit but never got into it when it was on the original Playstation. This is a 'canon' sequel to the popular JRPG by Squaresoft, Chrono Trigger. The battles, however, are a bit weird and involves elements. This is the Radical Dreamers edition which includes the visual novel called Radical Dreamers which wasn't localized when it came out. However, you don't need to play that to get the platinum.

The reason I got the platinum last time was because this game has in-game cheats like the port of Final Fantasy VII-IX. One function was actually a key item in the game which let you slow down and speed up time. Well, wish me luck. I'm going to have to do three playthroughs to get all the characters, but for these next three days I'll just be going through the story.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Oobedoob S Benubi said:

I call these "bonus games" on my list. This month it's pretty much only Assassin's Creed Mirage.

Oh okay, that's not a problem. I just wanted to ensure I didn't end up earning too many trophies. But I think I can rock both versions of Nexomon as the trophy flowchart is rather sparse between bosses unless you do what I do and try to catch and evolve every 'mon before each boss. :lol: The story is very long section-wise. ;)

spacer.png

Game #7: Just Cause 4

Playtime: under an hour

Trophy completion: 1/61, weighed as 1%

A quick try since I've played and enjoyed JC 2 and 3. I stayed away from this game due to its problems on release but it seems like a fine game now. Don't know if it'll beat the third game but it'll be fun.

Ranking:

1) Ghost Of Tsushima

2) Maneater

4) Just Cause 4

Definitely going to buy

Probably going to play more of

Probably going to buy

5) Everspace 2

Probably not going to play more of

6) Mystic Pillars

Probably not going to buy

Already deleted

7) Power Wash Simulator

• Like 1

Game #2 - Final Impressions

L877fc1.png

Time played: 4h

Trophies earned: 3/55

Since I'm not going to continue playing, I'll finish things up for this one.

This game has quite an issue with pacing. It felt utterly boring, dragging on with uninteresting gameplay segment.

I think this game has an identity crisis, trying to shove several genres into one game. The stealth section was just dumb and pointless.

Not even the combat was fun. Every enemy felt spongy at least compared to 0 and 6. Don't quite remember what the case was for the other ones. In any way, this was disappointing and maybe it's because it technically was the first game in the series and they were trying to figure out what it should be and fine-tune it as they went.

I still intend to try Kiwami 2 sometime this year, and hope that it'll be an improvement over this one.

Anyway, for me this game isn't more than a 5/10. it may have it's audience, but I'm not it.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

This is one of the weirdest games I have played so far.

I love Katamari Damacy, I've played the original on two platforms, played the X360 game, and I just bought the We♥️ remaster. It's so unlike anything else...

As for myself...

spacer.png

Uh... Bonus game... I guess?

For those who didn't know, I have a daughter, who is three years old by now. She has started showing an interest in gaming, after I played Winnie the Pooh (a point and click game) with her on my Steam Deck. 

We've played Peppa Pig and My Little Pony on my PS5, and are now in Paw Patrol, though Peppa is the only thing she can really play herself. This ks the first time she has gotten a new achievement during this event so I figured I'd mention it. Paw Patrol was at 12/16 trophies at the start and has no platinum or gold trophies so I'm sure it doesn't matter much.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Oobedoob S Benubi said:

I love Katamari Damacy, I've played the original on two platforms, played the X360 game, and I just bought the We♥️ remaster. It's so unlike anything else...

I always wanted to play one of the Katamari games but never did. The gameplay isn't really the weird part it's more the things around it like the presentation. The gameplay actually is fun once you get used to the controlls.

21 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

I always wanted to play one of the Katamari games but never did. The gameplay isn't really the weird part it's more the things around it like the presentation. The gameplay actually is fun once you get used to the controls.

I mean the gameplay is pretty weird too. I don't know of any other games where you roll up stuff in an ever growing ball (though I do know some follow-the-leader games that did similar but different stuff).

I'd say the controls, while certainly needing to get used to, are quite fitting.

Here's my next report!

kycreport04.jpg

* According to the in-game clock, I lost count.

For the record, when the SNES came out, I was in freshman year in college and lived in the dorms with a nice black woman who convinced me to follow my dreams. Sadly, my dreams were not affordable(I have ADHD and have never held a job for more than a week due to that :(), and I hope she is now a popular artist. ^_^ Also my room-mate didn't realize I was a light sleeper and that is the only time I experienced sex, when he brought his girlfriend into our room, assumed I was sawing logs(I wasn't, as I said I am a light sleeper) and began getting naked with her. But you aren't here to listen to my college experiences. :lol:

At the time, my super-tall dormmate had a SNES(I did not, though I had played NES games in my teen years since I had no friends) and he let me play Super Mario World. That got me buying my own SNES and eventually finding Final Fantasy II(US), aka Final Fantasy IV and falling in love with RPGS. The last SNES RPG I remember was the runaway hit by the people that made FFIV, Chrono Trigger. It was really fun and involved time travel. Then, when Squaresoft hopped to the PS1, I was playing Final Fantasy VII and this game. I never finished that game though I managed to get to the final boss. I couldn't figure out how to get the elements right so I could Schala(who was the poor woman in Chrono Trigger who died to stop her insane mother from summoning Lavos).

I didn't expect this game to get moved to modern consoles, but here we are, and I managed to platinum this title once before because Square-Enix did the smart thing and give us in-game boosts, one of which makes you have 100% perfect dodge against EVERYTHING. Yep, even the final bosses are a joke when you can just dodge all their one-shot kill attacks. :lol: They also gave us auto-battle, though all you do is just use normal attacks, but since the 'spells'(aka elements) are finite and you can never get harmed because you dodge everything(the only time you take damage is outside of combat in special circumstances), you can just use consumable elements like Tablets to heal your HP. So all combat, even against bosses, is AFK simulator. 😜

Still, the big issue is getting all 108(don't quote me) characters, though we will have to do New Game+ a couple of times as you can't get them all in one playthrough, as some only join if you do certain events in one way and others join if you do them in the opposite way. Oh, and since this is the successor to Chrono Trigger, of course there are multiple endings depending on when you beat the final boss. :D

Trophy cabinet % after playing: 88.20% (-0.40%)

Yeah, don't expect a huge dip as I am still earning trophies in both versions of Nexomon.

Now it's time for the next p-p-preview!

L76860a.png
Game #5: Dragon Quest XI S - Definitive Edition

Yep, this has to be done. I love the Dragon Quest series despite them not having a big lineup on the modern consoles(just a ton of spin-offs and only one mainline game, while its rival has a ton of mainline titles, tons of remakes and only a few spinoffs as well as an MMO or two*), I've played and completed all of the original nonology, and hope that they follow through on their Octopath traveler remake of DQ3 and hopefully remake DQIX, which is my favorite in the series. ;)

I have Dragon Quest games but they are spinoffs, this is the one mainline game I want to platinum. I have done so in an older account and I can do it again, and while everyone else loves the 3D Mode, I am still a fan of the 2D Mode so I will probably play the entire game and earn most of the trophies in that mode. So yeah. I love the Tocktington quests even if they nerfed them so they are all the same 2D mode and half of the retro books have no combat in their quests. Finding all the past-words is still gonna be fun.

(* Yes, I know about Dragon Quest X, but nobody talks about it since the company decided to not localize it, probably due to how toxic they found FFXIV's community at times and they didn't want DQX to end up like that, though a few nerdy fans jacked a server so hardcore DQ fans could at least play the main 'Realm Reborn' story up to completion.)

• Like 4