Kill Your Completion - Catch 22

Kill Your Completion 22

(Starts 1st of May 2024 and ends 31st of May 2024)

The Event

• final day of sign ups will be the 1st of May (2024)
  • the event begins whenever the 1st of May begins in your timezone
  • pick 5 - 10 games that are at 0% and play them during the respective amount of days (examples: 5 games/6days each ; 10 games/3 days each - this means consecutive days.
  • Games have to be a 0%, no exceptions.
  • don't pick only short and easy games
  • post your list of games
  • do yourself a favour and install/preload your games on the system. Less time wasted for patches to download, etc
  • each game should be played for at least 3 hours total, throughout the X number of days allocated to them. An equal number of days for each game, and should be consecutive days for the same game ( for example game - Days 1-3, Game 2 - days 4-6).
  • You can't switch a game out once you've already started it.
  • Write a review/impression/thoughts on the game you played, before moving on to the next one (final review is mandatory, regular updates are optional)
  • If you don't want to miss the start of the event, follow the thread

Participants

Spoiler

BillyHorrible

Spoiler

- Kena: Bridge Of Spirits

- Deliver Us Mars

- Maneater

- Jak And Daxter: The Lost Frontier

- Sea Of Stars

- Tchia

- Outer Wilds

- Carto

- Ghost Of Tsushima

- Hardspace: Shipbreaker

- Guardians Of The Galaxy

- Mystic Pillars

- Power Wash Simulator

- Sniper Elite 5

- Far: Changing Tides

- Bloodstained: Ritual Of The Night

- Telling Lies

- Dave The Diver

- Trials Of The Blood Dragon

- Just Cause 4

- I Am Dead

- Call Of Cthulhu

PerryToxteth

Spoiler

May 1-5: Ultimate General: Gettysburg. Ever since Panzer General on the original PlayStation, I have loved military strategy games. The good ones are hard to find on consoles, but reviews seem to make this one seem playable.

May 6-10: A Plague Tale: Innocence.  Been sitting in my To Do box forever, when it was a PS+ game from years ago. I hope it’s mor history than horror.

May 11-15: Joe Wander and the Enigmatic Adventures.  PG version of Uncharted but without guns? No idea what to expect.

May 16-20: PGA Tour 2K23. Need to start playing this before the MP trophies are unattainable. Probably my 20th golf game in my gaming career. 

May 21-25: Rustler. Reviews say it’s Medieval version of Bully. Never played original, but let’s start some mayhem!

May 26-31: Assassin’s Creed Odyssey.  I’m three games behind in this series and that ain’t right! My favorite series of all-time and I’m curious how they tackle the Hellenistic world. 

ProfSeajay7

Spoiler
  • May 1-3: LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham

May 4-6: Nexomon Extinction

May 7-9: Trials of Mana

May 10-12: Chrono Cross: Radical Dreamers Edition

May 13-15: Dragon Quest XI S: Definitive Edition

May 16-18: LEGO DC Super Villains

May 19-21: Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention

May 22-24: Final Fantasy VIII Remastered

May 25-27: Final Fantasy XI: The Zodiac Age

May 28-31: Dark Cloud 2

purgta

Spoiler

1. The Calisto Protocol

2. Chernobylite

3. Shadowrun Hong Kong

4. Dave the Diver

5. Star Ocean: The Divine Force

voodoo_eyes

Spoiler

1st-6th - Baldur's Gate

7th-12th -Yakuza Kiwami

13th-18th - Dave the Diver

19th-24th - Resident Evil 2

25th-30th - Tales of Kenzara Zau

Edited by voodoo_eyes
  • Like 2

On 4/15/2024 at 2:55 PM, voodoo_eyes said:

final day of sign ups will be the 1st of April (2024)

... April fool's?

Anyway, I have PS+ right now (black friday sale) and I have stuck to what I started so well I'm almost at the percentage I was at when I joined the very first event, so I'm tempted to join again.

But last time the event was kind of passive, so I'm first going to see who joins and if I want to play some of the same games, which I think is a good way to get people talking more about each other's reviews instead of mainly just posting their own. Last time I just had one game in common with someone else, and that someone quit the event on day one, so I felt kind of like I was just doing my own thing instead of participating in something.

Tentative list of possibilities in case I join, all available through PS+ one way or another:

- Deliver Us Mars

- Maneater

- A Hat In Time

- Sea Of Stars

- Disco Elysium

- Tchia

- Blasphemous

- Outer Wilds

- Carto

- Ghost Of Tsushima

- Mystic Pillars

- Röki

- Power Wash Simulator

- Sniper Elite 5

- Tacoma

Edited by Oobedoob S Benubi
Added some more titles after checking what I had already felt the need to download

My tentative list so far looks like this:

1st-6th - Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora

7th-12th - Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden

19th-24th - Sniper Elite 5

25th-30th - Asterigos: Curse of the Stars

• Like 2

On 4/16/2024 at 4:55 PM, Oobedoob S Benubi said:

- Maneater - Being a shark in a completely over the top revenge story, what is there not to love?

- A Hat In Time - A very cute and enjoyable platformer with some fun mechanics.

- Sea Of Stars - A beautiful old-skool looking RPG with a really enjoyable story and sidequests that matter.

- Disco Elysium - Something completely out of left field and I loved every minute of it. Amnesiac cop who has a broken past trying to solve a murder and try to search outside the boundaries of his mind are not enough to do it justice.

- Tchia - A very pretty game with a deep message, well worth playing.

- Blasphemous - Gothic, overtly deep religious messages which don't shy away from the bloody and tragic. Love how deep it pushes that theme.

- Carto - Cute Zelda like game with a chill atmosphere.

- Röki - I like the trailers for this and I just need to get PS+ back to jump into it.

- Tacoma - I like space adventures. This walking sim is a detective story and wraps up in a short bow. Well worth the 3/4 hours.

These I would be excited to see your opinions on, I have played half of them and I wonder if you enjoy them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Psy-Tychist said:

These I would be excited to see your opinions on, I have played half of them and I wonder if you enjoy them.

Well to be completely fair, I played A Hat In Time for about half an hour on Switch, Röki for about half an hour on Game Pass, and I played a bit of the demo of Blasphemous, so none of those are 100% new to me.

I'm also pretty sure I have Blasphemous, Tacoma and Disco Elysium on Steam through some charity bundles so I'm not committed to playing them on PS5 per se.

The biggest wild card on there is Sea Of Stars - it seems like a turn based J-RPG which I'm usually absolutely not into, but its devs were the people behind The Messenger and that gem was my GOTY that year so I'll at least give this a fair chance.

In!

I missed November, so I will jump in for May. Don’t have a list just yet, but I’ve got a few in mind. I’m currently struggling through Hello Neighbor 2. If you are thinking of playing this - don’t. Not worth the hassle. 

6 minutes ago, Oobedoob S Benubi said:

I saw Dave The Diver mentioned by both @voodoo_eyes and @purgta and I just now after booting up my PS5 realised it's because it's on PS+ now.

I bought it on release on Steam and got very bad vibes from it, refunded it after half an hour of playing.

It also doesn't look like a game I'd enjoy to be honest, but I'm curious enough. Since I still have Extra until 2025, I'll take advantage of it to try out one or the other game like this, that would usually not really entice me.

3 minutes ago, voodoo_eyes said:

It also doesn't look like a game I'd enjoy to be honest, but I'm curious enough. Since I still have Extra until 2025, I'll take advantage of it to try out one or the other game like this, that would usually not really entice me.

Yeah as long as you have PS+ anyway, absolutely fair enough. I thought I would enjoy it too but everything gave me bad vibes, from the roguelike water area to the very annoying cutscenes to the controversial publisher keeping their name off the Steam page to the button mashing for every damn little fish.

I might actually give it a second try alongside you, since I have that PS+ tier too and I don't have to drop an additional €18 of my own money to play it now. But other games might come first for me.

19 hours ago, voodoo_eyes said:

19th-24th - Sniper Elite 5

Actually if I join I'll make sure to at least play this alongside you. I'm also wondering about Avatar but with me having PS+ for another half a year, buying expensive new games isn't a high priority for me. Only thing I bought since starting on PS+ was the bundle with the last two Sherlock games. Of which I might actually put one on this list, I hadn't because I've played them before on my Steam Deck but like with Mass Effect in the last event, I'd be playing with much better graphics now. And especially Chapter One isn't a game you can just blow through in a couple of hours so it could be a counterweight for anything on my list that might turn out shorter than expected (some of these games I have no clue about how long they are, like Carto. Just saw it on PS+ and thought it looked fun so I downloaded it).

I'm tempted to use a list of 20-30 games, and either play a new game each day or just play each game for 1 hour tops. Like a PS+ sampling platter.

Should "kill my completion" nicely, and act like a way of figuring out which games I could play next, instead of just picking 5-10 safe choices.

lost => list

6 hours ago, Oobedoob S Benubi said:

I'm tempted to use a lost of 20-30 games, and either play a new game each day or just play each game for 1 hour tops. Like a PS+ sampling platter.

Should "kill my completion" nicely, and act like a way of figuring out which games I could play next, instead of just picking 5-10 safe choices.

That is almost the Ultimate KYC.

Mutator activated!

Posted (edited)

After having a look at my backlog, I've realized that I have a lot of game series that I've not really played much of and by now some have had several titles out by now. So I've decided to scrap my previous list for the most part (except Dave the Diver as it's the only one I haven't actually bought and I wanna get to it before it eventually rotates out of the extra lineup - also adding Tales of Kenzara Zau for the same reason), and pick titles from long-running series.

1st-6th - Baldur's Gate

7th-12th -Yakuza Kiwami (might still be replaced by something else)

19th-24th - Resident Evil 2 or 3

25th-30th - Tales of Kenzara Zau

Edited by voodoo_eyes

Here's my tentative list, 22 games for 22 KYC events. I'm not sure I'll do this every time but whenever I have PS+, what the hell, I'll keep killing my completion. I removed games that I have on Steam too.

- Deliver Us Mars

- Maneater

- Sea Of Stars

- Tchia

- Outer Wilds

- Carto

- Ghost Of Tsushima

- Mystic Pillars

- Power Wash Simulator

- Sniper Elite 5

- Far: Changing Tides

- Bloodstained: Ritual Of The Night

- Telling Lies

- Dave The Diver

- Trials Of The Blood Dragon

- Just Cause 4

- I Am Dead

- Call Of Cthulhu

• Like 2

Well, I am signing up for another KYC event on a new account. I need to put my foot down and get started on new games. :lol:

All of the games fit the qualifications: 0% trophies, nice and long(half of these are RPGs) and all of them are time-sinks. They are also all on the Playstation 4. (One is a game I already have trophies in, but that's another platform version. If playing the 0% PS4 of a game that has 10% completion on the PS5 is a violation, I can replace the game with something else.) None are shovelware. Two are LEGO games but I doubt those are considering super easy as you have to go through 15 levels of story to get to the clean-up phase. 😜 

I've already set up my schedule. Since I didn't kill much of my completion and actually gained completion last time I did this, I am going to be strict on myself to make sure my percentage is really tanked by the beginning of June, and it will kill two birds with one stone as I have not been diligent in my FFXIV goals for my secondary account. ;)

My House Rules:

• Once this event begins, I am only allowed to play the required game on my account.
  • All games will get one hour of my time every day, no more. I'll even set a timer to ensure I keep myself in check. (I have picked ten games so nine get three days and one gets the last four since May has 31 days.) I made the mistake of doing 3 hours a day without double-checking the rules so I burned myself out almost immediately.
  • Once I finish the session, I must switch over to my other account and work on FFXIV for the rest of the day. That or play games on my other two accounts. I cannot play any more games on my main account for the rest of the day. This ensures I don't pop any trophies on any other games, resurrecting my completion. This includes my PS Vita, which is linked to this account - I must unplug it and turn it off for the entire month so I can't play any games on it. Another mistake I made was playing other games, I got trophies in them which skewed the completion, especially when I popped platinums. This won't happen again.
  • I am allowed to play games on the Nintendo Switch or computer(like emulated randomizers) as these will not affect my trophy completion as they do not have trophies.

With that done, here is my schedule for the next month:

• May 1-3: LEGO Batman 2: DC Superheros
  • May 4-6: Trials of Mana
  • May 7-9: Final Fantasy VIII
  • May 10-12: Chrono Cross
  • May 13-15: Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
  • May 16-18: LEGO DC Super Villains
  • May 19-21: SaGa Frontier Remastered
  • May 22-24: Dark Cloud 2
  • May 25-27: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch [PS3])
  • May 28-31: Dragon Quest XI S: Definitive Edition

Good luck to everyone in the event! ;)

EDIT: Another thing I did not mention is that I will probably have to pack up my PS4 on the night of the 18th. You see, I am taking a plane to Salt Lake City to attend the RPG Limit Break 2024 charity marathon. Luckily, I check into the reserved hotel room on the 19th and check out on the 22nd. I think I will have time to start up Dark Cloud 2 as soon as I check into the hotel and have time to play an hour of Shantae as soon as I get back, but considering that plane trips from Texas to Utah tend to be, well, long, I may have to change it up for a Vita title so I can play on the plane. Hopefully that is not the case. This is also another reason I am doing one hour of gaming a day, to ensure I don't accidentally fail the challenge when I find I get back home at 10 PM on the 22nd due to plane delays leaving me in the airport for half a day. :lol:

EDIT 2: Unfortunately, I screwed up and have to remove Dark Cloud from the list. If you saw my profile, you know why.  :(

I'll update the post with a fixed list.

EDIT 3: Surprised that nobody has posted since yesterday, but I got my list finalized. Since my plane to Utah will be at noon, I will have some time before I have to pack to belt out one hour of a PS4 game and pack up the PS4 Pro to take with me, as I am sure that they will allow me to use their TV to play video games since the hotel is hosting a video game speed-running marathon for a week. (I had managed to take my PS5 with me during my trip to Florida as long as I was careful not to damage the TV while plugging my system into it and had a place to put the system. I won't be able to write my review for that game until the 22nd.)

EDIT 4: Replaced a game after seeing the live stream from Square-Enix about SaGa Emerald Beyond, so instead of Kingdom Hearts, I'll be playing SaGa Frontier Remastered.

Edited by ProfSeajay7
  • Like 1

Outer Wilds has already left PS+ this month apparently, I checked and supposedly I Am Dead is leaving next month. Rather than update my list, I'm just going to play flexibly.

The rules for my list, whatever it may end up being, are;

- 22 games

- all PS+

- all tittles that I haven't played before on any platform

I'll play all for about an hour, or however long it takes to get a first trophy if I haven't gotten one in the first hour.

If I spot someone playing something interesting that's on PS+ I'll see if it might be for me too, for instance I'll play Dave The Diver around the time @voodoo_eyes and @purgta are playing it.

I'm going to join this time again.

My games will be the following ones:

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier

Katamari Damacy Reroll

LEGO City Undercover

MediEvil

Pac-Man World Re-Pac

As you can see all of those games are remakes or in case of Jak and Daxter a rereleas of older games.

Besides of LEGO City Undercover I haven't played any of the original games.

• Like 3

I'm going to come back again for my 10th KYC event.

This time I'm going to give some love to the Non-Platinum games and have 6 games which don't include that shiny Platinum.

1. Submerged
  2. Subject 13
  3. Tachyon Project
  4. Hatoful Boyfriend
  5. The Cave
  6. Hohokum

Games Played: 1046

Games Completed: 616

Completion: 72.81%

Unearned Trophies: 9310

Edited by Psy-Tychist
  • Like 3

I'm going to write down my starting stats, because it's May in Japan already (I'm in Europe, I'm just saying it's May somewhere) and because I got Assassin's Creed Mirage today on a sale sweet enough to buy.

So I'm going to do 22 PS+ games for one hour each, and Assassin's Creed Mirage will be my bonus game this month.

I've started on I Am Dead because it leaves PS+ somewhere in May, but I don't think I'll finish it. It has some nice ideas but it just feels so tedious.

KYC22 starting stats:

Games played: 459

Trophies: 9375

Unearned trophies: 7223

Completion: 52,10%

I haven't checked back but I think I have my highest completion percentage since KYC1 or maybe KYC2. I know I was around 52,75% at the start of the first and I just kept dropping. So, time to nuke my account with 22 PS+ games, probably less than half of which I will actually play through, and even less I will complete.