How big a part of the game is crafting?

Thomas2400

So like many people I’ve returning to a fallout game after the TV show got everyone interested again 

I’m really enjoying the game this time after it not clicking with me at all at launch and I’m wondering how important does crafting become? 

I don’t mind occasionally repairing at weapon at my weapon bench or cooking food but is it going to require me to start building complex structures or is that aspect of the game entirely optional and I can ignore it outside of the occasional quest that wants me to craft an item 

Crafting is somewhat important early on in order to make new better equipment. But once you get max level gear, crafting is basically non-existent, just to repair your gear and make food. Plus for a survival game, you're literally showered in new gear all the time, making crafting new stuff even less important. It's actually kind of annoying that when I complete quests I get a bunch of weapons and armor to drop because it's just taking up inventory weight.

You never need to build anything complex in your base. The most complex thing I made was a stairway to nowhere so that people could nearly kill themselves by walking off it in order to grind that reviving others trophy. I'm sure there's other ways to do that grind though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milktastrophe said:

Crafting is somewhat important early on in order to make new better equipment. But once you get max level gear, crafting is basically non-existent, just to repair your gear and make food. Plus for a survival game, you're literally showered in new gear all the time, making crafting new stuff even less important. It's actually kind of annoying that when I complete quests I get a bunch of weapons and armor to drop because it's just taking up inventory weight.

You never need to build anything complex in your base. The most complex thing I made was a stairway to nowhere so that people could nearly kill themselves by walking off it in order to grind that reviving others trophy. I'm sure there's other ways to do that grind though.

This^

The first 1/3 to 1/2 of the game has a fairly heavy focus on crafting but after that, you will be drowning in Caps, Stimpacks and ammo so once you have a decent build going, crafting rapidly becomes a waste of time outside of the few trophies and challenges that require it, especially if you have a decent collectotron at your CAMP and know what to sell in your vending machine(s).

In terms of your CAMP, you need to build 100 objects for one of the trophies but after that, all you really need are a bed, a source of clean water a vending machine, the various workbenches, a Stash Box, a Collectotron and various Allies (depending on which trophy you're going for)

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.