PS4 doesn't play mp3's or video files?

the_daddy2009

Just to add my voice of disappointment to the decision not to allow ripping of MP3s to the HDD of your PS4, to allow custom soundtracks. BUT allow the streaming of music via their paid subscription service? I have to say, it is a little outrageous. I know that I am probably in the distinct minority in still having CDs from the days when I was a student. But I have them. And I would love to rip them to my PS4. And I would like to listen to my songs again, whilst playing my games. Yes, I have probably listened to All Eyez on Me more times than is healthy, but I need custom soundtracks, dammit!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it's confirmed.  However, there will be a patch.  MP3 is almost 20 years old though.  So I can understand why it's not on a PS4.

MP3 / or MPEG Layer III, uses the same compression techniques as MPEG4 etc.

So if PS4 supports MPEG2/MP4 videos, then by default it'll support MP3.

you cant really listen to anything on the ps4 unless its coming from youtube (which sometimes works and sometimes it doesnt as it says missing plugin). youtube.com/tv works though. but downloading you cant do which i find stupid. when is this patch coming? wont be paying for MU anymore screw that. why pay to listen to music when you can listen to nearly anything on youtube?

• 3 months later...