PS4 doesn't play mp3's or video files?

the_daddy2009

Can somebody confirm this?

I'm looking to get a PS4 in the next few weeks and currently I use my PS3 to listen to mp3 playlists and watch downloaded films and tv shows etc.. If the PS4 in fact does not play the above files then I'll have to hold on to my PS3 for those reasons alone which is disappointing as I was hoping to sell that console as help for funding for the PS4.

I am shocked and stunned.  :|

Can somebody confirm this?

I'm looking to get a PS4 in the next few weeks and currently I use my PS3 to listen to mp3 playlists and watch downloaded films and tv shows etc.. If the PS4 in fact does not play the above files then I'll have to hold on to my PS3 for those reasons alone which is disappointing as I was hoping to sell that console as help for funding for the PS4.

I am shocked and stunned.  :|

Yes, it's confirmed.  However, there will be a patch.  MP3 is almost 20 years old though.  So I can understand why it's not on a PS4.

MP3 is almost 20 years old though. So I can understand why it's not on a PS4.

AAC is almost as old.

Following this logic is should support opus... oh, yeah.

So how do I view my downloaded films and tv shows?  :blush:

using something other than PS4... for now. Edited by vivan000
  • Like 1

You cannot play any music/video unless its streamed by an app e.g. netflix or for music the only available option is music unlimited. Complete joke specially when the ps3 has media server and you could also connect external hdds, its almost like they went backwards from the ps3 to ps4 in that aspect at least. I heard they are doing a mp3 support patch which I assume it would read discs but I doubt it would allow you to copy it to your hdd, which then just makes it a useless feature.

• Like 1

So how do I view my downloaded films and tv shows?  :blush:

I'm assuming that that is content you acquired legally...?

But yeah, it is outrageous that the PS4 doesn't play media files. There's no reason you couldn't let people listen to their music and let them access Music Unlimited if they wanted to. Trying to force the latter one down my throat by blocking my access to the former just turns me off Music Unlimited entirely, so is a bit of an own goal for Sony where I'm concerned.

You cannot play any music/video unless its streamed by an app e.g. netflix or for music the only available option is music unlimited. Complete joke specially when the ps3 has media server and you could also connect external hdds, its almost like they went backwards from the ps3 to ps4 in that aspect at least. I heard they are doing a mp3 support patch which I assume it would read discs but I doubt it would allow you to copy it to your hdd, which then just makes it a useless feature.

Wouldn't matter since PS4 can't do CD's at all.  It's probably more of hooking up your iPod and either A do a transfer (not a copy) or B you keep it hooked up while the system plays the music.

Wouldn't matter since PS4 can't do CD's at all.  It's probably more of hooking up your iPod and either A do a transfer (not a copy) or B you keep it hooked up while the system plays the music.

ya thats what i meant by mp3 support was cd support, assuming music cds still consist of mp3s...i wouldnt know.

Wait, so does it allow you to watch movies you bought from PSN store? It would be weird if it didn't.

yes it uses sonys video unlimited.

Edited by Ellie
  • Like 1

Yes, it's confirmed.  However, there will be a patch.  MP3 is almost 20 years old though.  So I can understand why it's not on a PS4.

Really? You say that as if its a 8 track or cassette tape. Its still a widely used file format for music.

The simple answer is, its because Sony originally wanted people to only be able to play music through their music service. Being able to upload and play your own stuff on their platform became a so called "conflict of interest" and they saw an opportunity to make more money. In other words, they are acting like a bunch of greedy bastards that got called out on it and now they are planning to retract this decision with a patch.

People who constantly defend all of these new restrictions on the next gen consoles as being "technologically" different in nature are CLEARLY in denial about how doing such things benefits the console developers at the expense of the customer.

Edited by merciful84
  • Like 2

Really? You say that as if its a 8 track or cassette tape. Its still a widely used file format for music.

The simple answer is, its because Sony originally wanted people to only be able to play music through their music service. Being able to upload and play your own stuff on their platform became a so called "conflict of interest" and they saw an opportunity to make more money. In other words, they are acting like a bunch of greedy bastards that got called out on it and now they are planning to retract this decision with a patch.

People who constantly defend all of these new restrictions on the next gen consoles as being "technologically" different in nature are CLEARLY in denial about how doing such things benefits the console developers at the expense of the customer.

Who says I'm defending anything -_-  You folks clearly don't understand economics, but it's OK.

Who says I'm defending anything -_-  You folks clearly don't understand economics, but it's OK.

I wasn't referring to anyone specific with those highlighted statements but it did seem like you were devaluing a widely used file format in defense of Sony.

And exactly what don't I understand about economics? How does limiting certain forms of entertainment on new hardware (when said limitation did not exist on legacy hardware) to just services provided by said hardware developer economically make sense for anyone other than them?

Edited by merciful84

I wasn't referring to anyone specific with those highlighted statements but it did seem like you were devaluing a widely used file format in defense of Sony.

And exactly what don't I understand about economics? How does limiting certain forms of entertainment on new hardware (when said limitation did not exist on legacy hardware) to just services provided by said hardware developer economically make sense for anyone other than them?

Look at what happened with Sony when they released the original PS3 (60 GB model).  They suffered financially because of it.  They couldn't the all-in-one entertainment system like that again or they'd suffer the same fate, although it probably wouldn't have been as bad because of Xbone's original plans.  They were inevitably going to disappoint folks with feature like no backward compatibly and stuff like that, but that costs money.

Edited by grimydawg

Look at what happened with Sony when they released the original PS3 (60 GB model).  They suffered financially because of it.  They couldn't the all-in-one entertainment system like that again or they'd suffer the same fate, although it probably wouldn't have been as bad because of Xbone's original plans.  They were inevitably going to disappoint folks with feature like no backward compatibly and stuff like that, but that costs money.

Right because they undersold the brand new Blu-Ray technology that was easily worth $800 at the time for $600. That has nothing to do with MP3s or backwards compatibility. Again, the economics only benefits them...forcing people to pay to play music, videos, and legacy software as a service is just ridiculous.  Especially in the digital age we live in. If you're a PC gamer, you don't have to worry about any of this! The purpose for selling media in its raw digital form was supposed to lower the purchase cost of the entertainment medium and give it unlimited lifespan. Instead, we now have companies like Sony who make these digital forms of entertainment even more restrictive than the physical media they claim to be moving away from.

Companies like Sony can pretty much get a way with murder because they can sell folks like you anything that sounds plausible and they won't be questioned or called out for giving us all less.

Edited by merciful84
  • Like 1

Right because they undersold the brand new Blu-Ray technology that was easily worth $800 at the time for $600. That has nothing to do with MP3s or backwards compatibility. Again, the economics only benefits them...forcing people to pay to play music, videos, and legacy software is just ridiculous.  Especially in the digital age we live in. If you're a PC gamer, you don't have to worry about any of this! The purpose for selling media in its raw digital form was suppose low the purchase cost and give it unlimited lifespan. Instead, we now have companies like Sony who make these digital forms of entertainment even more restrictive than the physical media they claim to be moving away from.

Companies like Sony can pretty much get a way with murder because they can sell folks like you anything that sounds plausible and they won't be questioned or called out for giving us all less.

It's supposed to benefit them  -_- That's fine with me.  I didn't buy my PS4 to watch downloaded movies or listen to music.  I bought so I can kill my family in games like Madden globally and get dragged/forced to watch TV series with my misses on Netflix.  The PS4 suits me for my personal preferences.

Edited by grimydawg

It's supposed to -_- That's fine with me.  I didn't buy my PS4 to watch downloaded movies or listen to music.  I bought so I can kill my family in games like Madden globally and get dragged/forced to watch TV series with my misses on Netflix.  The PS4 suits me for my personal preferences.

That's you...1 in MILLIONS. Several other customers did buy a PS3 to listen to THEIR music on, watch THEIR videos on, and continue to enjoy...wait for it...THEIR legacy library of games on. So its only fair for those same people to expect at minimum the same on the PS4 and then more! But what Sony has done, it's given its customers less than it did last generation and hardly much noteworthy moving forward (besides flasher visuals).

You raise a good point: If the PS4 was not made for these customers in mind then just who was it designed for?

Edited by merciful84
  • Like 1

The media player / DNLA/UPNP streaming was basically dropped for PS4, they've suggested in future patch will be implementing it.  IRC it was patched in later on the PS3 as well.

In the meantime I moved my PS3 upstairs and spent £50 on a raspeberry pi to run as a media server so not a big deal for me.  It's a great solution for streaming from a home NAS.