a little bland

Cordially_Tom

I had to hang my head in shame when they mentioned that one of the hackers was in it "for the lulz". That truly did it for me. Not the lack of collision detection on the top of the vehicles, not the trains stopping INSTANTLY as soon as an object entered their path, not the fact that you hack millions of dollars only for everything in the game to cost next to nowhere near what you have, not the pointless moral system, and certainly not the absence of effects that occur when you empty your clip into a river. It was the lulz.

I like the game...but I could truly spend hours on end picking apart what's wrong with it and questioning what possible reason there was to delay it for half a year. They really need to fix almost everything for the (inevitable) sequel, and if it's anything like the jump from AC to AC II, then I'll be happy. PLEASE MAKE AIDEN MORE EMOTIVE. I COULDN'T STAND TO WATCH HIM SMILE THROUGH THAT SCENE AT THE GRAVEYARD.

You missed out the reflections. Go to a petrol station and look at the reflection in the shop window - in my case it was an open road heading directly away from the window. I turned the camera 180 degrees and noted that the reflection should have had NPCs, cars, gas pumps, and behind all that a road going parallel to the gas station. Edit - oh, and Aiden stood right next to the window looking gormless.

I'm still only at the end of Act 3, but so far my conclusion is that it's a competent but bland game - and totally unworthy of the hype.

I remember reading once about a study which looked at the sales of various games against their critical reception (review scores mostly as they make easy data-points) and their pre-launch marketing expenditure. The study apparently concluded that if you want your game to sell and sell well you should put your money in marketing and forget about trying to get a good critical reception.

Edited by StrickenBiged

Well I love this game.... but.....

I do see what most of you guys have said. Too much hype made people expect some kind of godly miracle of a game. What we got was a very decent game, but worthy of the wait!? Probably not. 

Meh, I don't care. It's given me alot of enjoyment and i'm not done yet. In the end as long as it's enjoyable it's pretty much a win. Not many people that hate the game. Just ALOT that have issues with it.

Well I love this game.... but.....

I do see what most of you guys have said. Too much hype made people expect some kind of godly miracle of a game. What we got was a very decent game, but worthy of the wait!? Probably not. 

Meh, I don't care. It's given me alot of enjoyment and i'm not done yet. In the end as long as it's enjoyable it's pretty much a win. Not many people that hate the game. Just ALOT that have issues with it.

Don't get me wrong; despite my initial frustrations with it I don't hate the game. I am having fun playing it but not as much fun as I believe was promised by the hype train. I will try and go for the plat, but doubt I will be investing in any of the DLC or a sequel. It just isn't interesting enough.

You missed out the reflections. Go to a petrol station and look at the reflection in the shop window - in my case it was an open road heading directly away from the window. I turned the camera 180 degrees and noted that the reflection should have had NPCs, cars, gas pumps, and behind all that a road going parallel to the gas station. Edit - oh, and Aiden stood right next to the window looking gormless.

Believe it or not I was actually discussing that exact problem (the reflections) with a friend not too long ago. Something else to add to the list of things that they probably should have picked up on during their extra six months of development time.

I share your opinion - I don't HATE the game, but it's painfully easy to identify its shortcomings. 

EDIT: I'm not sure if I made a mistake by purchasing the $30 season pass - all of the DLC that is available now (some extra Cyborgs mission) is free to me, but I'm not even certain if any DLC has even been announced for the game. I didn't bother with the PlayStation exclusive missions.

Edited by Kr1st0ph_212

EDIT: I'm not sure if I made a mistake by purchasing the $30 season pass - all of the DLC that is available now (some extra Cyborgs mission) is free to me, but I'm not even certain if any DLC has even been announced for the game. I didn't bother with the PlayStation exclusive missions.

That is why season passes are a waste of money. You can always buy them later if you really want and that way you can be sure you actually want the dlc. On top of that you gave a company 30$ in hopes they release enough DLC to be worth it, as opposed to just waiting and getting it all at once.

That is why season passes are a waste of money. You can always buy them later if you really want and that way you can be sure you actually want the dlc. On top of that you gave a company 30$ in hopes they release enough DLC to be worth it, as opposed to just waiting and getting it all at once.

I like the concept of season passes, but I really regret buying the Watch_Dogs one. They've never really led me astray in the past (I bought the Bioshock Infinite season pass for around $21 and forgot about it, and then downloaded all of the DLC for free - saved some money there). 

Season passes for games like Resogun and Trials Fusion are done well. For Resogun, they price it at $8 (which is dirt cheap for a stack of content) and Trials Fusion's one basically tells you outright that you're going to save on the 6 DLC packs they're releasing throughout the year.

But all that said...yeah, I think the Watch_Dogs one was a mistake.

I like the concept of season passes, but I really regret buying the Watch_Dogs one. They've never really led me astray in the past (I bought the Bioshock Infinite season pass for around $21 and forgot about it, and then downloaded all of the DLC for free - saved some money there). 

Season passes for games like Resogun and Trials Fusion are done well. For Resogun, they price it at $8 (which is dirt cheap for a stack of content) and Trials Fusion's one basically tells you outright that you're going to save on the 6 DLC packs they're releasing throughout the year.

But all that said...yeah, I think the Watch_Dogs one was a mistake.

I bought the Bioshock Infinite pass as well, but I bought it last month for 19.99. So when I bought it all the dlc was out already and I knew I wanted it. If I had bought it before hand I would be out 20$ waiting for dlc to come out and hoping it would be good.

This is why it is just better to wait and not give away your money (the same goes for preorders)