Rumor: Diablo III on Feb 1st?

Dreakon139

Best Buy seems to think so...

diablo3bestbuy599px.jpg

Best Buy apparently believes Diablo 3 isn't far off from launch in North America, as a Rochester, Minnesota-based Twitter user spotted a display for the game in a local Best Buy store showing a February 1 launch for the game alongside a countdown timer. The image was subsequently picked up and pushed to Twitter, where we first saw it. Bizarrely, the tweet has since been pulled, but we snagged the image (addressed to former Joystiq previews editor Arthur Gies -- thanks Arthur!) and tracked down the Best Buy to confirm its existence.

A store employee politely assured Joystiq of the endcap's existence and noted the February 1 launch date, which will coincide with a midnight opening (at least at her location). We've reached out to Blizzard Entertainment and Activision for comment, but, well, this looks pretty legit. Oh, and it also doesn't hurt that Best Buy's web store is showing a February 1 launch date for the game.

The last official word we heard from Blizzard ("early 2012") was in September 2011, after the game was delayed beyond its original 2011 launch window.

Source: http://www.joystiq.c...ebruary-1-2012/

There have been a few updates if you follow the source, including a Blizzard community manager denying it and stating "We can't really keep every individual retail shop from making up a date,"... but I'm still a little skeptical. Seems like a lot of effort to build up a sign with a countdown if the store made up that date out of thin air... especially one less than a month away.

At the very least, it's fodder for conversation.

Read update 3 and 4.

Unless Blizzard say February, then it not happen

Yes, if you read my original post, I say that a Blizzard community rep has denied it. I've also heard developer community managers lie through their teeth. So I'm still skeptical as this seems like a big to-do on Best Buy's part over a completely fabricated date.

If they don't want word getting out about a release date, a single Best Buy slipping up is pretty easy to dismiss. Just sayin'.

Read update 3 and 4.

Unless Blizzard say February, then it not happen

I'm guessing that the stores get the release dates before the public does, just so they know when to be expecting deliveries and stuff like that. Maybe Best Buy just didn't know that they where supposed to shut up about it.

I'm guessing that the stores get the release dates before the public does, just so they know when to be expecting deliveries and stuff like that. Maybe Best Buy just didn't know that they where supposed to shut up about it.

You mean like Best Buy didn't know, that is bad business to take to many Pre-order

i dont care if it comes out now or in a year. i loved the original diablo 1, and two. personally i am not too excited about this one, it looks just like torchlight. i wish it would go back to brootal gameplay, now it looks like a game for children with 1000 bright colors going on in the screen. when everyone gets diablo 3, i will still be enjoying diablo 2 and lord of destruction dlc and ill be happy without spending money xP

i dont care if it comes out now or in a year. i loved the original diablo 1, and two. personally i am not too excited about this one, it looks just like torchlight. i wish it would go back to brootal gameplay, now it looks like a game for children with 1000 bright colors going on in the screen. when everyone gets diablo 3, i will still be enjoying diablo 2 and lord of destruction dlc and ill be happy without spending money xP

Really? Diablo III has given me the opposite impression. The backdrop seems a bit dark, drab and repetitive... if the game were even a few months from release, you would think they'd try to show a little more variety in the environments in the gameplay trailers/teasers.

Diablo II did great in that regard, every Act was drastically different in terms of locale.

Really? Diablo III has given me the opposite impression. The backdrop seems a bit dark, drab and repetitive... if the game were even a few months from release, you would think they'd try to show a little more variety in the environments in the gameplay trailers/teasers.

Diablo II did great in that regard, every Act was drastically different in terms of locale.

diablo 2 had an insane ammount of replay value, with all those quests and especially the online. online felt like an early mmo