Glitches (help, tips, walkthroughs)

ZombieWartooth

So as a lot of you may already know, there are tons and tons of glitches you can work your way around in Mirror's Edge

This thread is simply for those who can explain any glitches or tips that may help anyone in the game.

~
I have a particular question on the "push button" glitch. I noticed on a lot of the walkthroughs I have come across, people will 'slide' or do something of the sort and push the button; only you don't see them push the button at all. They simply do Faith's 'slide' move and the button has already been pushed. I dunno how much sense I'm making but does anyone know how this is done? I'm very curious and it can save time on some speedruns I have been doing.

A lot of the glitches I've seen during speedruns of this game are only able to be done on the PC version. The favourite one is a wall kick type thing which can help Faith clear gaps she really shouldn't be able to. Unfortunately it can't be done on a console version of the game. :(

Edited by Stevieboy

what you mean is the instant sprint move i think?...

if so then it takes a little bit of practice to do and can be used on the system version, also i often did the wall kick one too which is the exact same but only you pull the move off mid wall run... i assure you that you can do it on the system version too as its what i constantly did and some speed runs can be difficult without doin it...

i cant fully remember how to pull the move off now but im sure you turn slightly in either direction whilst jumpin and she instantly does a boost run, if you get the hang of it you can continually do it whenever you want but you need to be quick, like really quick or she'll just do a normal jump or even instantly come to a halt like a dumbfuck...

if you do it right you'll get the rushin sound...

there is also the move which allows her to do big jumps takin away the need to climb entire ladders and pipes so essentially she'll grab the tops of them rather than the middle...

then a 3rd move is climbin... she can either climb casually, climb and take ages pullin herself up or instantly climb straight away without really noticin it...

these moves take practice but once you learn the speed boost and start doin the trials you'll get so quick that you wont realise you're stringin them together...

Edited by DARKSCORPONOXR

what you mean is the instant sprint move i think?...

if so then it takes a little bit of practice to do and can be used on the system version, also i often did the wall kick one too which is the exact same but only you pull the move off mid wall run... i assure you that you can do it on the system version too as its what i constantly did and some speed runs can be difficult without doin it...

i cant fully remember how to pull the move off now but im sure you turn slightly in either direction whilst jumpin and she instantly does a boost run, if you get the hang of it you can continually do it whenever you want but you need to be quick, like really quick or she'll just do a normal jump or even instantly come to a halt like a dumbfuck...

if you do it right you'll get the rushin sound...

there is also the move which allows her to do big jumps takin away the need to climb entire ladders and pipes so essentially she'll grab the tops of them rather than the middle...

then a 3rd move is climbin... she can either climb casually, climb and take ages pullin herself up or instantly climb straight away without really noticin it...

these moves take practice but once you learn the speed boost and start doin the trials you'll get so quick that you wont realise you're stringin them together...

Thank you for the response but the instant sprint move isn't what I'm looking for. :c I've perfected that already and is actually not that hard to do. 

As I said in my description, people literally "slide" up to a button and it's instantly pushed, although there is no view of them actually pushing the button.

I knnow this is probably confusing to understand lol if i can find a video of it i will post it

also i wouldn't really call them glitches altho the pc guys are so freakin quick usin a mouse/keyboard combo that it does look like its a glitch... they are just ridiculously quick and the dualshock3 pad is not even close in accuracy with the analogue sticks so the moves are tougher to do...

you mean when shes pressin the switches and stuff?... im sure theres a slight window of opportunity to have her push the button as you're approachin it... i never had it skip the animation of her pressin it tho so that might be a glitch then... damn if only i knew that lol

is it possible that they're slide kickin the buttons?... i slide kicked exits, entrances and windows throughout or jumped kicked them... kung fu style lol

Edited by DARKSCORPONOXR

• 4 months later...

A lot of the glitches I've seen during speedruns of this game are only able to be done on the PC version. The favourite one is a wall kick type thing which can help Faith clear gaps she really shouldn't be able to. Unfortunately it can't be done on a console version of the game. :(

i saw someone doing it on consoles on chapter 2 speedrun ( ps3 version ) the reason why it works well on PC is due to the fast aiming or looking on the PC with the mouse compared to the consoles thumb sticks, especially that side boost thingy where you need to move faith left or right and pressing the sprint button at the same time.

i saw someone doing it on consoles on chapter 2 speedrun ( ps3 version ) the reason why it works well on PC is due to the fast aiming or looking on the PC with the mouse compared to the consoles thumb sticks, especially that side boost thingy where you need to move faith left or right and pressing the sprint button at the same time.

That would be cool if it can be done then. Would make the speedruns a little bit easier, providing the move can be done with a certain level of consistency.

That would be cool if it can be done then. Would make the speedruns a little bit easier, providing the move can be done with a certain level of consistency.

man, i really need to learn about how it's been done, i'm stuck at chapter 2 speedrun and i'm almost about to break my only working ps3 controller by frustrating.

man, i really need to learn about how it's been done, i'm stuck at chapter 2 speedrun and i'm almost about to break my only working ps3 controller by frustrating.

From what I hear, chapters 2 and 9 are meant to be the most tricky ones. I never managed to do more than the prologue and chapter 1 myself. :(

I refused to to do any other level speed run until I finish the chapter 2 speed run.

Actually I did that too. Never attempted the speedruns from chapter 3 and onwards. I might go back to it one day but I lost my save due to a YLOD so I'd have to play through the game again to unlock the speedruns. Unfortunately my backlog is huge so I'm dedicated to reducing that first before I rerun games.

Actually I did that too. Never attempted the speedruns from chapter 3 and onwards. I might go back to it one day but I lost my save due to a YLOD so I'd have to play through the game again to unlock the speedruns. Unfortunately my backlog is huge so I'm dedicated to reducing that first before I rerun games.

Keep trying Chapter 2. Know that there's no way you'll be able to get there in the 'standard' route. Are you getting close?

My first attempt was 15 mins believe it or not. Then I brought it down to 13 mins, then 12 mins 20 seconds, then 11 mins 30 seconds and eventually I squeezed it below 11 mins. Took just over a dozen attempts. Chapter 3 isn't particularly straightforward either but it's hella easier than Chapter 2, for sure.

I have just Chapter 8 and 9 left. Very rarely do you string the chapter speedruns first time (well, except for Chapter 6 and 8 is likely to take one or two times as well). It takes perseverance.

Learn the time trials first if you'd like. I just started time trials the other day and whizzing through and it helps me with the harder portions of various chapters. Doing Stormdrain Trials will particularly help you with Chapter 2.

I personally don't think I'll struggle with Chapter 8, but I am dreading Chapter 9. 6 minutes is a little harsh in my opinion.

EDIT: quoted the wrong person, apologies :)

Edited by OviixeFFecTz

Oh jesus, this game gave me nightmares. Got the platinum in the end up though. Good luck with the speedruns and the trials your gonna need it, i used the instant sprint move.

I'm pretty close atm. 

Never used the sprint move, purely because I can't do it and I find it too unreliable. If you can do it, it helps a lot. If you muck it up, you'll lose a lot of time.

Remember anything about Chapter 9? Because I'm not looking forward to it lol.

Edited by OviixeFFecTz

I'm pretty close atm. 

Never used the sprint move, purely because I can't do it and I find it too unreliable. If you can do it, it helps a lot. If you muck it up, you'll lose a lot of time.

Remember anything about Chapter 9? Because I'm not looking forward to it lol.

If you can pull off the insta sprint yoou will have a SLIGHTLY easier time with the triials and the runs. This game drove me to hit the vodka many of time, i wasn't for giving up :P

Chapter 9? i platted this away back in 2010, i can barely what happened yesterday let alone 2010. 

• Like 1

If you can pull off the insta sprint yoou will have a SLIGHTLY easier time with the triials and the runs. This game drove me to hit the vodka many of time, i wasn't for giving up :P

Chapter 9? i platted this away back in 2010, i can barely what happened yesterday let alone 2010. 

No worries mate, just beat it today! :D

Chapter 9 is nowhere near as hard as I thought it would be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

From what I hear, chapters 2 and 9 are meant to be the most tricky ones. I never managed to do more than the prologue and chapter 1 myself. :(

I broke 2 of my controllers raging on chapter 2 speedrun but finally managed to do it. 

Now the only ones I have left are chapter 9 and 7; for some reason I always get held back once your inside the building where you have to get to the rooftop to save Faith's sister. The dudes with guns just don't stop shooting and it's really frustrating, especially when I'm making good time and I end up dying. 

Not too sure how the platinum is looking for me. 

• 8 years later...

Sorry for reviving this old thread but it's actually on topic. I'm currently stuck at the chapter 7 speed run and I'm trying to make the glitch work where you can completely skip the enemy encounters once you get out of the truck. For reference you can see it at minute 3:30 in the following video. 

Now I've made it work one time only so I can personally confirm that it works on console (well, at least on the PS3). The thing I don't understand though, is why exactly it worked only once and didn't work every other time I tried it. Because to me it looked like I was doing the same. Grab the ledge, do the coil jump and then land on the ledge you've been holding on to and jump up as high as you can. I do that all the time but as I said, only once did I respawn at the desired location. Every other time I was back at the truck. So I was wondering if there's a very specific requirement in place that makes it work. If anybody has any idea, I'd really like to hear your feedback. Because I cannot do that section the regular way with the time limit.

Edit:
I managed to make it work a second time a few moments ago. I still don't know what I did different though, so it's a luck thing until I figure out what exactly makes the difference.

Edited by Ivotas

• 2 weeks later...

Its very simple. You probably want to do it a little bit more to the left (more left than shown in the video). Also you want to reach the ceiling with that wallclimb. Pressing l1 and then pressing the stick forwards immediately afterwards gives more height from a standstill, than holding forward and pressing l1 while doing it.

Also a new trick has been discovered in the stormdrains section of chapter 2: 

Hey guys, I hope you can help me out with a little feedback. I'm struggling with a particular move that I never managed to use properly. It's definitely me who's doing something wrong but I really don't know where exactly I should improve so if anybody could push me in the right direction it would be helpful. It's the move at 4:57 in the video below:

It's when you let go of the zipline to fall on the airbag thingie on the ground. You can turn around and use the flip off gesture. My problem is that I either a) don't turn around at all and land on the thing or b) turn around and miss the thing and die. For Playground 1 I could get the three stars even without it but for Playground 3 every second counts. So I would have to nail the move. The problem is that I don't know how.

For futher details about what I'm doing so far. When I'm letting go a bit early I can land on the airbag thingie. But I don't turn around. When I wait a little longer I can turn around but I seem to miss it and die. What I cannot figure out from that part however is if I'm shot way over it or if I didn't reach it yet. I've tried different times like waiting longer and being quicker but I always either miss it or land on it without turning around. Since this is a move that I NEVER pulled off successfully even a single time I would really need someone to talk some sense into me as I myself apparently am too stupid to figure it out by myself. :(