Easing up on the ol' Blu Ray drive?

Dreakon139

I'm considering giving this game another go, I used to own it when I used my old PSN account. The single player was brilliant, but the multiplayer didn't thrill me. That said, since I was starting a new PSN account, it didn't seem like a game that I really wanted in the transition (trophy-wise) so I traded it in and put that money towards pre-ordering Uncharted 3. ;)

Anyways, story time is over.

I loved the single player, and maybe the GotY edition/DLC unlocking a bit more of multiplayer would make it a bit more interesting, kind of makes me want to get into it again. The biggest issue I have with this game though is the fact that it always sounded like it was working the hell out of the Blu Ray drive.

It seems like the game barely installs anything to the hard drive (unlike other Rockstar games like GTA that install gigs of data to the PS3 and makes nary a sound during play). Is there anything I can do to make RDR run a little more friendly? Does the GotY edition install any more of the game data to the PS3 than the original? Is RDR available on PSN for download? Any ideas like that.

Thanks guys!

I never had any issues playing RDR, and as a Level 3 Legend (the wife is a Level 5 Legend), this game has seen some serious use in the old PS3, both online and off. I never noticed any increase in sounds/noises as if the Blu Ray was working any harder for this game than it does for any other.

Side note: We played a few times together, so "YES", you best go out and get it again as I had a blast ridin' the range with ya'! We have some bad guys and Zombies to shoot the faces off of! :)

I think games that install less to the hard drive tend to make more of those disc-reading sounds. Frightens me a little bit considering the horror stories I hear about how weak the disc lasers are on these PlayStation consoles... trust reading from the hard drive much more personally, whenever possible.

Well, unless I'm missing something, I don't think that's the case anymore. :(

The only bundle I see available on PSN is RDR/Undead Nightmare for $50.

I do prefer owning the retail packaging, I just wish there was a way to install the game data to the HD off the disc as not to wear down on the poor ol' Blu Ray drive all the time. :(

Maybe see if I can't nab a GOTY copy of the game cheap off eBay sometime.

• 3 months later...
On Tuesday, May 29th, the PlayStation Store delivers Ultimate Editions to the PlayStation Nation! We’re bundling terrific PS3 Full Games with all of their DLC and offering these Ultimate Editions at great prices with even bigger discounts for PlayStation Plus members! There is truly no better time to beef up your game collection. Choose from these awesome titles:

Red Dead Redemption with Legends and Killers, Liars and Cheats and Undead Nightmare

Rockstar’s open-world Western with DLC offering nine new multiplayer maps, over 25 new multiplayer characters, additional new multiplayer weapons and new trophies. Oh, zombies, too!

$27.99 ($19.59 for PlayStation Plus Members!)

I'm considering giving this game another go, I used to own it when I used my old PSN account. The single player was brilliant, but the multiplayer didn't thrill me. That said, since I was starting a new PSN account, it didn't seem like a game that I really wanted in the transition (trophy-wise) so I traded it in and put that money towards pre-ordering Uncharted 3. ;)

Anyways, story time is over.

I loved the single player, and maybe the GotY edition/DLC unlocking a bit more of multiplayer would make it a bit more interesting, kind of makes me want to get into it again. The biggest issue I have with this game though is the fact that it always sounded like it was working the hell out of the Blu Ray drive.

It seems like the game barely installs anything to the hard drive (unlike other Rockstar games like GTA that install gigs of data to the PS3 and makes nary a sound during play). Is there anything I can do to make RDR run a little more friendly? Does the GotY edition install any more of the game data to the PS3 than the original? Is RDR available on PSN for download? Any ideas like that.

Thanks guys!

I seriously doubt it's your BD making the noise. It's probably the fan. The BD shouldn't be making any noise unless the auger motor is going bad. If that was the case, you would hear it all the time during any game-play. RDR is probably working your GPU too hard so it is heating up. The fan kicks on more often when that happens.

BTW, I am very versed in the workings of the PS3. I have had to replace the laser in the BD (twice due to the replacement going bad after four months) as well as reflow the GPU and CPU. Other than actually opening up the power supply, I have taken the whole PS3 apart, from top to bottom, more than a few times.

I seriously doubt it's your BD making the noise. It's probably the fan. The BD shouldn't be making any noise unless the auger motor is going bad. If that was the case, you would hear it all the time during any game-play. RDR is probably working your GPU too hard so it is heating up. The fan kicks on more often when that happens.

BTW, I am very versed in the workings of the PS3. I have had to replace the laser in the BD (twice due to the replacement going bad after four months) as well as reflow the GPU and CPU. Other than actually opening up the power supply, I have taken the whole PS3 apart, from top to bottom, more than a few times.

I don't have my PS3 anymore, but I guarantee you it wasn't the fan. I've built PC's, used them and played on consoles long enough to know what a disc drive in use sounds like.

I don't have my PS3 anymore, but I guarantee you it wasn't the fan. I've built PC's, used them and played on consoles long enough to know what a disc drive in use sounds like.

HAAHAA. I just noticed the date of your original post. Now that you mention it, I think I remember you saying that in another thread.

That is so strange that one game would make the BD work overtime. I've never heard of that happening. Oh well. All water under the bridge now I suppose.

HAAHAA. I just noticed the date of your original post. Now that you mention it, I think I remember you saying that in another thread.

That is so strange that one game would make the BD work overtime. I've never heard of that happening. Oh well. All water under the bridge now I suppose.

There are a few games that would do it, though RDR was the worst offender that I noticed.