Trouble connecting to the internet

Agent-Oranje

For last year or so of having my new router/modem I've never had issues with connection.

But as of late, I keep getting an error (i forgot it now but it has a 'B' in it :P) every time i sign into psn.

My temporary fix for now is making my wired connection wireless and it works. I don't know why but psn will not let me sign in now when im on a wired connection. Today by some luck it signed me in, but it would let me connect to the Call of Duty servers.

This is doing my head in as to why I'm all of a sudden getting this error when nothings changed! I googled the error and I havent been able to find a permamnent fix, other than a few places saying try re-connecting later.

My router is a Netgear DGN2000, and my ps3 is in DMZ.

If anyone has an idea please help me out! :)

I'd contact Sony and ask them directly. You can either go thru the phone or their website. Also, I'd contact the manufacturer of the router and ask them also. If anybody should know why a router does what it does, the manufacturer should.

However, if wired seems to be the problem, the cheapest and easiest first step in troubleshooting would be to replace the cord. You could have a bad connector (dirt, dust or a bent/broken wire in the clip) or even a break in the wire itself.

• Like 1

However, if wired seems to be the problem, the cheapest and easiest first step in troubleshooting would be to replace the cord. You could have a bad connector (dirt, dust or a bent/broken wire in the clip) or even a break in the wire itself.

^ This, and or: If you aren't, get familiar with your router, and it's software. Take you PS3 out of DMZ, and correctly set up a static route with the correct ports forwarded.

• Like 1

I'd contact Sony and ask them directly. You can either go thru the phone or their website. Also, I'd contact the manufacturer of the router and ask them also. If anybody should know why a router does what it does, the manufacturer should.

I think I did try another cable, one from my desktop and it didnt help, though the desktop cable is in way worse condition the ps3's. I will get a new one when I get a chance. Next time i get the error, I shall write it down and call SOny about it, I doubt they will help me without an error code.

^ This, and or: If you aren't, get familiar with your router, and it's software. Take you PS3 out of DMZ, and correctly set up a static route with the correct ports forwarded.

I'll try forwarding the ports, I used to do it on my old router, but decided DMZ was alot quicker way to get the same outcome. If it does fix the issue, I wonder why it it would cause the issue in the first place :S

Thank you both for your help :)

DMZ removes the security of your routers Firewall, and exposes your PS3 to the internet.

Port forwarding exposes only what is needed by whatever your forwarding to.

Yes I know this, but from your previous post you mentioned taking out DMZ and do port forwarding. Regardless of DMZ removing firewalls and such, it's all about just having unrestricted NAT right? DMZ to PS3 should be the best practical way unless PF does something better. (yes, it will just open ports you want and won't affect security but security doesn't have anything to do with good NAT afaik)

Ok so Ive still had absolutely no luck on the wired connection so far.

Here is the error Ive been getting: 80710B23

I have googled it and all the recommendations dont seem to help me, and from the looks of it hasnt helped many others either.

Whats strange is I have changed nothing to my router, for it to play up like this... aaargh :(

From experience, I would say it's your router. I bought a new router, by coincidence it's the same one you're using, which made my connection faster and all was well. One Sat morning (about 8 months later), I fired everything up, PCs (my wife's and mine) and my PS3 and nothing worked wirelessly. I plugged the PS3 into a wired connection and that was fine, just not practical for the PCs in other rooms in the house. Fortunately, I was switching my ISP at the time back to BT, they sent me a new BT Home Hub 3 and my Netgear is just sat in the box now. I also plugged in the new Home Hub into the master socket (instead of a socket in one of the bedrooms) and it more than doubled my download speed.

• Like 1

From experience, I would say it's your router. I bought a new router, by coincidence it's the same one you're using, which made my connection faster and all was well. One Sat morning (about 8 months later), I fired everything up, PCs (my wife's and mine) and my PS3 and nothing worked wirelessly. I plugged the PS3 into a wired connection and that was fine, just not practical for the PCs in other rooms in the house. Fortunately, I was switching my ISP at the time back to BT, they sent me a new BT Home Hub 3 and my Netgear is just sat in the box now. I also plugged in the new Home Hub into the master socket (instead of a socket in one of the bedrooms) and it more than doubled my download speed.

you could possibly be right, i will check with another router and see whats the go :)

Set a static route to the PS3 in your router.

Open the ports.

Remove, then replace your WEP/WPA. (if you even have a password set)

Then re-set up (as in clear all existing fields) your PS3's internet settings.

If you have a neighbor, or friend with wifi, maybe you could test if it connects to their network?

Set a static route to the PS3 in your router.

Open the ports.

Remove, then replace your WEP/WPA. (if you even have a password set)

Then re-set up (as in clear all existing fields) your PS3's internet settings.

If you have a neighbor, or friend with wifi, maybe you could test if it connects to their network?

The wireless works without a problem. Both my ps3's connect to it. The wired on the other hand, both dont work. They both have static ip's and under dmz as I only use 1 ps3 at a time.

http://us.playstatio...ex.htm?a_id=285

That's the link for troubleshooting a wired connection off of Sony's site. Maybe there is something there that could help you.

Thanks for the link!