Destiny: A Shell of a Game

DanielVT

Gentlemen, lets keep it on topic. If you're having trouble or didn't actually read the article there is no need to comment, this thread is for the discussion of the information in the article itself, not the format of that information. 

Thanks,

Parker

Thanks man! Needed some government in the thread! BTW if the format is really that bad, would you mind recommending how I fix it? I personally don't see an issue. Thoughts?

I think Destiny is a great game! It lived up to its height for me and Bungie has released new content every week since launch. I have gotten more than my 60 bucks worth. Hype is not supposed to appeal to everyone, so idk why people get so butt hurt about it. Gamer expectations these days are ridiculous anymore. If the genre appeals to you then hype matters. People dump on COD every year yet it outsells every game with the exception of a rockstar game releasing and I love COD games. People are getting all hyped up about Kingdom Hearts 3 right? Well that genre does not appeal to me so the hype is irrelevant for me but that doesn't mean I'm going to waste the time post negative reviews about being over hyped and a disappointment. For every bad review of a game there is a good one. To each their own. I also have no problem with the cutting n pasting of articles but it was tough on the eyes to read bud lol. Anyway as always good post to spark a conversation.

Thanks man, for awhile there I was thinking that me sharing this article was the worst crime I could have ever committed. Jesus, I was not expecting to get crapped on to such an extent. Crap on Bungie, they are the ones that created an actual quality story with more worlds and less repetativity (if the story is correct) and scrapped it. To me THAT'S what is heinous. Not my sharing the article! The support is welcome! ;)

Edited by DanielVT

Most games that are ridiculously overhyped aren't even worth the $60 they've been printed on. That's why I avoid most of them and stick with what I like instead. B)

Yeah, I do too. Although for me at least, COD games and Battlefield games do. Although COD Ghosts was fairly disappointing. I didn't buy into Destiny till after it came out. I've been dissapointed and frustrated, but I still enjoy the game, and don't regret my Limited Edition. Not sure if that makes sense lol.

Ok so in regards to formating and Content : a large block of text with no line breaks is a pain to read, especially on a screen, and just makes people not bother. Larger than usual text is also a turn off, unless it serves a purpose. Putting that size all over the post, obviously has no purpose, so will potentially stop people reading.

Also, suggesting people who may read the text as Lazy (I'm going to guess you put it in there) just makes you sound condescending (which is another turn off from reading) - if it wasn't you and the person you quoted that said it, the same thing applies. I would potentially say that leaving the text in the size it came in from another site is being lazy, but I digress.

A last point would be that just because someone hasn't played the game doesn't mean he can't have either an opinion or a valid point.

On Topic :

General - This game was always going to be Multiplayer focussed, as many games are these days. Single player lacking is not always a major problem. The fact that this is a first game does create an issue as it can create confusion, but the business decision was there. Pay for add ons are now a part of gaming, and big publishers will always be using that to make more money - it's what they do.

What bungie should do - we have already been here with COD. When I spent a majority of time on PC, everyone went ape about the fact MW2 was removing dedicated servers. Petitions were written, people said they would boycott. On the steam group where many people were supposidly boycotting, they were playing day 1. So people vote with their wallets. Bungie can do what they want, and guess what, they will very likely still be on a cash cow in 4 years.

Quoted part - There are lots of 'possibles', 'coulds', etc. it doesn't really relate to any provable scenario. Things get cut out of games before release often, for so many reasons (bugged, leads to confusion, badly written, badly implemented, the list goes on) - saying a publisher removed them just for financial reasons could potentially be correct, but that doesn't make it the case.

If you don't like the game for whatever reasons, that's fine, it's a valid point and can be discussed between adults (and teenagers too I guess). You say the game is fun, that's what a game should be. It's not the first one to do the same thing. If you want crystal clear storylines, try independant studio games, they are usually pretty well thought through.

You can always vote with your wallet, but I think people will be buying this series as a mass market game (millions of sales) for the next few years, and that is because they have made a mass market game. It works because they make (a lot) of money out of it, and that is what Activision pay them for. I know that people like to think that we have a choice in how businesses move, but that really isn't the case (the only exception being ME3, but even that wasn't changed that much after outcry)

• Like 4

People seem to think I'm crazy, but DESTINY ALWAYS FELT INCOMPLETE when I played it. Bungie does better games then this. Does anyone remember the E3 trailer in which they showed story segments that were NOWHERE in the game? Yes, I  expected more, it's Bungie for God's sake. There is not enough content to warrant 5 years of development. The fact that they scrapped huge amounts of an actual story ticks me off. The game should have been more complete and with more locations weapons etc. 

BTW, in reference to one of your previous comments, Bungie's contract with Activision is 4 Destiny games over 10 years. So yeah, I expecting much more from Destiny 2. 

Apparently! ;)

Daniel, I want to be as civil as possible and this is not an attack against you personally, but it is for those amoung your mindset - you're the problem. You shouldn't be expecting anything from a Destiny sequel, in-fact, you shouldn't even be expecting a Destiny sequel. When you have this mentality at play, you're susceptible to pretty much engrossing yourself into any presence of anticipation there is to be found. You keep touting how Destiny should be this and that, blah-blah-blah, yet you're practically jumping ship to conceptions already for a Destiny sequel - you should want better for this game, exclusively, not hope for the franchise to become better as it progresses. It's one of the reasons why Ubi always releases a vanilla IP then produces a sequel which goes on to win GoTY - they know how to hit the demographics and sale figures hard; who's to say other publishers wouldn't want to attack this formula?

Also, you didn't even state your opinion within the initial post - it was all verbatim from a Reddit user. You could have typed a thesis and explained your disappointment with this game, then utilized the post as support or further evidence as to why you're disappointed. It seems that you don't have your own individual interpretation of this game, and instead reform to copying another persons tactics and, essentially, becoming a pawn. Typing up a sentence claiming that you're frustrated, yet enjoy the game doesn't help sell your response and interpretation of the game whatsoever - it's cheap, drivel, and ultimately trivial.

Have you ever played a title from Bungie? You're straight to assume they produce revolutionary masterpieces by fact rather than that of a mass opinion, of which it is. And Developers aren't the only contributers when it comes to producing a title - publishers do come into fruition as well. Activision probably had as much involvement within the development as Bungie did, and reflecting on their previous business practices (half-assed and generic titles; season passes; etc.), if you want to blame Bungie severely, then Activision should receive just as much shit as Bungie is. I'm not sure if you comprehend the fundamentals of game development, or artistic integrity, which Bungie seems to attempt, but just because you have a universally renowned developer receiving sub-par scores for their title doesn't mean they perhaps did not want to do more for their game to the best of their capabilities.

The smaller type underlined are my thoughts, and the rest is someone else post copied directly from reddit. He has alot of solid info on how we got cheated out of a game. Also do not call me a fanatic or that my interest in this game is scary. We were promised an amazing narrative, and got absolute crap. We were showed parts of a story in E3 that did not take place. Have you even played Destiny? If so you would know that it has so much potential but it completely unrealized, almost as if it were torn apart into segments to be released later. It really sucks. You and most everyone else's lack of desire of a better product and promises actually lived up to is what is scary. If there aren't people like me, than the status quo will be acceptable in this industry. Also, I'm very dissapointed in peoples lack of an ability to read a sizable article. It's quite depressing really. Oh, and I have fanatical devotion because a game has been really dissapointing? That's funny. Go read review after review, and watch YouTube video after YouTube video of people really dissapointed and frustrated with the lack of content and shitty story etc.  

P.S. With all due respect, you are in no position to tell me I'm wrong or my disappointment is not valid as you yourself have not even played the game, nor were you apparently anticipating the game, or reading articles towards the release of Destiny of Bungie employees making promise after promise that turned out to be false!  Comments like yours seem to be a light form of trolling. Thanks.  

I found this guys opinion to be super solid, and the facts that he compiled were worth sharing here. My opinion on this game has already been shared, I love the universe, and enjoy the game, but it also greatly frustrates me, and my opinion is the majority might I add. Also big name sites like IGN and GameInformer, and Kotaku have shared the same article. Go tell them that they are wrong and should have their own opinion. I also HIGHLY disagree that the text is badly formatted. I found the article to be clear and concise. I didn't know people were afraid to read something that is longer than 30 sec. Sheesh!

IGN, GameInformer, and Kotaku, huh? Those same websites that ineptly "Hyped" this game beyond proportions just as much as the PR stints. Here's a fun-fact: Don't by into their bullshit - their comments produce more legitimacy than the articles themselves. Even if those websites shared the same post that you have, they actually wrote in original content as well, whether that be elaboration or explanation of the post. You simply copied and pasted someone else's work as an OP without so much as an actual discussion or opinion from your part.

Actually, in reality, you pretty much are at fault for your own disappointment with Destiny - you frequently asked of others opinions in the forums; you researched the game, as stated by you, through numerous status updates; you read the review scores and was still apprehensive, however bought it, acknowledging that the game was receiving sub-par scores. You bought the game after release, knowing full well the controversy surrounding this game was, and you failed to properly evaluate your situation - it's as if you bought this game just to be disappointed and bitch. Why did you even get it this early on and not have waited? If you claimed the game doesn't have enough content to sustain the 5-year development, which was stated through various forums, articles, and comments, then why not purchase pre-owned or rent for a brief overview?

BeautifulTorment (my boy!) is undeniably correct as to how atrocious your formatting and presentation of the post is. Hell, I like to read but your post was simply too bad on the eyes - no spaces, no breaks, and too much cluster. Having a wall of text thrusted at your face is the equivalent of having the sun blind your eyes. Make the text a bit smaller; break up the segments into paragraphs; maybe double-space, if possible - there's a reason why Word Document and the tools of the posting portion of this website were created.

It seems as if everytime you create a thread on this website, all you do is stir up controversy, and I can comprehend why. You need to develop your own identity, at least with writing, because it seems you follow the mass like white on rice. The only thread in which you sort-of had you own opinion was Wolfenstein, and even then, that was poor to read because it was essentially, "This is great. Great gameplay, great story, I really loved it. A masterpiece." You throw that word "masterpiece" as if it's nothing - you did it years back near Black Ops II's release date, just around the time other COD lovers were claiming the same thing. Honestly, if this is how you write, I wonder what comes with the college papers.

If you don't like how Destiny operated, then vote with your wallet and choose not to support this kind of scheme, whether that be not purchasing season passes or purchasing pre-owned, not bitching about it unless you're starting a petition. One thing that keeps irking me: did you just come out of a rock and notice this business practice? It's been going on for years with the likes of Battlefield 4, most of the Assassin's Creeds, and recently Watch_Dogs. You keep supporting this type of practice, and the corporations will keeping shoeing them out - why put effort into something that you know will sell? It's the days of high school all over again where you can half-ass assignments for a full grade and not actually comprehend the material whatsoever.

A tl;dr would be nice, too.

• Like 3

I agree that it is a shell of a game as far as the main story goes. I also agree that the marketing team got over-excited and dressed it up into something it isn't, yet. But the shell part is intended. This is a game that will evolve and build up as time progresses, just like the MMOs it pulls it's influence from. The expansion packs will almost double the game size. Conversely - I've put about 50 hours into it so far, which contradicts the whole 'shell of a game' word usage you went with. So if you mean that in terms of story - yes. If you mean that in terms of gameplay - you probably need to play it a bit more.

One thing that struck me as rather silly was that you mentioned we don't know anything about the world. This isn't a game that drip feeds you and holds your hand. You need to find Dead Ghosts and unlock Grimoire pages. You learn a great deal about races, enemies and history there. In short - you have to actually take time with it. And it is worth it, because you can really see the potential in the world they created.

I appreciate that we are all entitled to our opinions, but this one seems reactionary and misinformed.

I'm done with this thread. Everyone else seems to accept the status quo, and I'm tired of the continual attacks. PSNP used to be civil, but I'm over the crap I'm getting consistently. The fact that we should have gotten a polished and more complete game, but mysteriously didn't is a bad bad thing. I stand by my opinion. For now I'll go back to Destiny and keep grinding while hoping for more at the same time. Thread locked, thanks for ruining this.