Nintendo has reached the limits of the Wii U hardware

Lady Lilith

http://www.geek.com/games/nintendo-has-reached-the-limits-of-the-wii-u-hardware-1606583/

DSC079151-590x392.jpg

Like it or not, games on the Wii U are unlikely to ever improve beyond what we are seeing in released titles right now. Nintendo has never been known for realism in their games. No one was ever going to look at Mario Kart 8 and comment on how amazing and real the grass and water looked, or how accurate the Master Sword looks in Hyrule Warriors. The games Nintendo is best known for are cartoonish in nature with a simple soundtrack and heaps of fun combined with challenging gameplay.

Unfortunately, Nintendo can’t survive forever by being one of the only AAA title publishers for the Wii U, and that’s exactly where things have been heading for a while now. And the last three major releases for the Wii U have all been hinting at a quality ceiling.

Mario Kart 8 launched without the ability to show a single player’s race on the Gamepad while in a multiplayer race on the console. Instead you get a mirror of the 4 player grid that is on the TV, making the screen on the Gamepad all but useless until you flip it over into map view. Hyrule Warriors confirmed my performance-based concerns by allowing this missing Mario Kart feature to exist in the hack and slash adventure. Activating this feature causes the once beautiful Zelda-themed title to blur out and become all but unplayable on the TV, because the console simply can’t handle driving both displays in this manner.

b6dhu.gif

These are “Next-Gen” Graphics?

The multiplayer Gamepad struggles are not altogether surprising, though. After all, at that point you’re basically asking the console to handle two different iterations of the same game. Looking beyond that particular issue, there are still several repeated examples of performance limits. Nintendo recently offered up Bayonetta 2 for Geek.com to review, and contained within the action-packed hyper-sexualized hack-and-slash was nearly every visual flaw found inHyrule Warriors. Simple things, like poorly rendered layers and awkward pauses between cut scenes and level splits. When standing still these games are gorgeous, but it’s clear that the console itself lacks the horsepower needed to deliver these titles on the graphical pedestal they deserve to sit upon.

It’s not as though it is news that the Wii U is underpowered when compared to the Xbox One or the PS4. No one expected Destiny to be available on the Wii U, despite how undeniably cool that game would be to play on the Gamepad. The problem Nintendo fans are going to run into now is every possible future title that isn’t made by Nintendo. We know from E3 that there’s an impressive lineup of very cool games coming in 2015, but is it realistic to expect AAA titles for the Wii U after this next wave?

The Xbox One and PS4 are just now hitting their stride, after a rough couple of months of performance issues and bug fixes for Microsoft. The games coming out for what are seen by many as the “real” next-gen consoles are going to be delivering content well above what the Wii U can offer, and that’s not good for anyone who has chosen the Wii U as their one and only game console.

Unlike the previous console generation, Nintendo’s machine is the only one that isn’t running on x86 PC hardware. The PowerPC chip in the Wii U means not only would developers need to cripple their games to work with the less capable hardware, but there would be extra work required to support the PowerPC architecture. Combined with a less than stellar sales record so far, it’s not hard to imagine a scenario in which Nintendo is outright ignored by AAA producers after this next wave of games.

villagerwiiu-590x330.jpg

But hey, at least we’re getting Super Smash Bros.

A new console seems like the only real option, and while there have been whispers for some time now of a Nintendo Fusion Terminal it’s hard to imagine that console being ready and available anytime soon. Nintendo could ride out the excitement of the next couple of months and then release a new console, but it would need to be backwards compatible in order for a move like that to not completely offend their userbase.

As we’ve seen with the Xbox One and PS4, backwards compatibility isn’t really an option if Nintendo moves to x86, or at least not a cheap one. Whatever happens next for Nintendo has to happen in 2015, even if that means it doesn’t happen until closer to Christmas, and any way you look at it Nintendo needs to deliver something spectacular when that day comes.

Seems kinda early to max out the power of your console...I mean, it's not like it's hard to max out a console with the power of the PS3 this gen.  I hope they deliver some good games despite this, they need it.

Why should graphics and a lack of full gamepad support matter? As long as it has off-screen play (one of the main things Nintendo always boasted about with the WiiU anyway) and the games are enjoyable, what's the problem? Just because it doesn't look like PS4 or high-end PC graphics (you seriously expect that from Nintendo nowadays?) doesn't automatically mean the games are bad. As long as it's not, say, PS1 or N64 graphics I couldn't care less. Nintendo have never delivered the best graphics aside from the Gamecube which everyone knows is their best console from a technical standpoint anyway, they're known for games that are easy to pick up and fully enjoyable by all ages, not good graphics.

• Like 2

Why should graphics and a lack of full gamepad support matter? As long as it has off-screen play (one of the main things Nintendo always boasted about with the WiiU anyway) and the games are enjoyable, what's the problem? Just because it doesn't look like PS4 or high-end PC graphics (you seriously expect that from Nintendo nowadays?) doesn't automatically mean the games are bad. As long as it's not, say, PS1 or N64 graphics I couldn't care less. Nintendo have never delivered the best graphics aside from the Gamecube which everyone knows is their best console from a technical standpoint anyway, they're known for games that are easy to pick up and fully enjoyable by all ages, not good graphics.

I actually agree with the full gamepad support, there hasn't been a game yet in which I've used the Pro controller AND the gamepad, it's always one or the other.  Off TV play is a huge factor for me.  I'll never understand why they try to have full support when all they need is off TV play, and it's sure to save them some work as well if they just make a game TV only or off TV play, not both.  As for graphics, I'm the last person who cares about them, really, I actually think Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Super Mario World had perfectly fine graphics.  I'd much rather Nintendo make fun games.  I really haven't noticed the PS4/Wii U graphics difference much, despite it obviously being there.

Edited by Lady Lilith
  • Like 1

Despite the fact that the Wii U is sadly underpowered, I'm inclined to agree. We all know what we're buying with Nintendo and the Wii U is their BEST console to date.

Even though I don't use the Wii U much myself, it's been elevated to fourth place in my household (behind PS3 > PS4 > Vita and above XB1 > 360 > 3DS) simply because my son can play games via the Gamepad without hogging the TV. That and Nintendo finally hitting the HD era stitched up the deal for me.

The Wii U will never compete with Sony and MS for my attention, but it's pretty damn fine for my kids.

Because 3rd party support is the reason for the slow sales. Nintendo picked up their game this year but it was ALL Nintendo's doing. They have already released Mario Kart, a Donkey Kong, 2 Mario games, Pikmin, Hyrule Warriors and eventually Smash..they are pretty much out of big guns at this point (another Zelda game will really be the only thing they are missing for sales).

Without 3rd party support they are going to keep treading water.

• Like 4

I'm honestly more considered about the Xbox One. With the lack of exclusive titles and the fact that it's slightly less powerful than the PS4, it seems like the less desirable choice of console.  Even though the Wii U is less powerful and lacks 3rd Party support, at least the 1st Party games are at least decent enough and kid friendly. 

Edited by CrimsonMars
  • Like 1

Because 3rd party support is the reason for the slow sales. Nintendo picked up their game this year but it was ALL Nintendo's doing. They have already released Mario Kart, a Donkey Kong, 2 Mario games, Pikmin, Hyrule Warriors and eventually Smash..they are pretty much out of big guns at this point (another Zelda game will really be the only thing they are missing for sales).

Without 3rd party support they are going to keep treading water.

True, but did we expect anything else from Nintendo this (last) generation?

Nintendo's a 5 to 10 games per generation deal for me. They're on-par to hit that target again.

MS, maybe 30 games before they run out of steam.

Sony numbers in the hundreds - PlayStation is my cross-platform console of choice.

• Like 1

I'm not gonna quote everyone who replied to my post. lol. I'm just going to say, exactly. Since the Wii, Nintendo have basically been that second console you buy when you want their exclusives and something fun for the whole family to enjoy and for parties. Sony and Microsoft have basically been those superior consoles the you buy for the exclusives (well, in Microsofts case, by exclusives I mean exclusive to Microsoft as a whole lol) and better versions of multi-plats, they're also the ones you get alongside Nintendos home consoles for the more grown-up and less party-oriented games, when you want to just sit down and play something once the kids have gone to bed or to school or whatever.

Of course, I am speaking generally though, there are those people who get Nintendo consoles to support Nintendo and play exclusives like Zelda but let's not complicate this any more. lol. Anyway, what I'm getting at is the fact no one buys Nintendo consoles for graphics, they have their Playstation, Xbox or PC for that (aside from gameplay).

(Ugh, I realised I just repeated myself and went slightly of-topic after I posted this and was going to remove it but I can't. Oh well... lol)

Edited by kamifox1

I don't see a reason to complain, the argument that they should release a new console less then 2 years after their newest one is stupid, people are stupid. Do you really expect there to be 30+ titles available right away? The PS4 and XBOX ONE are having the same exact issues, so why do they get an excuse? As far as graphics go New Super Mario 3D World is the best looking game next to MK8 on any of the next gen consoles. The Wii U is a great console, i think that they purposely made the hardware less powerful in order to stay out of fanboy wars. But in comparison to the Wii the Wii U is an extremely impressive leap in terms of hardware. Oh, and as far as sales go, the only reason it didn't sell well was because no one knew what the frick the Wii U was. Honestly, when i first saw it i immediately thought it was an expansion pack for the Wii. I'm not making any fluid points here but since it's late and i'm tired i'll just end it here.

I don't see a reason to complain, the argument that they should release a new console less then 2 years after their newest one is stupid, people are stupid. Do you really expect there to be 30+ titles available right away? The PS4 and XBOX ONE are having the same exact issues, so why do they get an excuse? As far as graphics go New Super Mario 3D World is the best looking game next to MK8 on any of the next gen consoles. The Wii U is a great console, i think that they purposely made the hardware less powerful in order to stay out of fanboy wars. But in comparison to the Wii the Wii U is an extremely impressive leap in terms of hardware. Oh, and as far as sales go, the only reason it didn't sell well was because no one knew what the frick the Wii U was. Honestly, when i first saw it i immediately thought it was an expansion pack for the Wii. I'm not making any fluid points here but since it's late and i'm tired i'll just end it here.

The console has been out twice as long as both the PS4 and XboxOne so it should have more games but it doesn't. The other thing is all 3rd party support has been dropped for the WIi-U so it really only has 1st party games and games they buy/support (hyrule warriors and bayonetta) They can't keep supporting themselves like that because they have already burned through all the big guns in the first 2 years (except a new zelda and metroid).

As far as New Super Mario 3D World being the best looking next gen game...OK there :rolleyes:

Nintendo knew they couldn't win with graphics alone so they tried a gimmick because it worked so well for the Wii and ds. Well it didn't work this time and now they have a under-powered, hard to program for machine that no one wants to develop for. You might not care about games like Destiny or Grand Theft Auto...but those are the games that help move consoles and they aren't coming to the Wii-U

• Like 1

The console has been out twice as long as both the PS4 and XboxOne so it should have more games but it doesn't. The other thing is all 3rd party support has been dropped for the WIi-U so it really only has 1st party games and games they buy/support (hyrule warriors and bayonetta) They can't keep supporting themselves like that because they have already burned through all the big guns in the first 2 years (except a new zelda and metroid).

As far as New Super Mario 3D World being the best looking next gen game...OK there :rolleyes:

Nintendo knew they couldn't win with graphics alone so they tried a gimmick because it worked so well for the Wii and ds. Well it didn't work this time and now they have a under-powered, hard to program for machine that no one wants to develop for. You might not care about games like Destiny or Grand Theft Auto...but those are the games that help move consoles and they aren't coming to the Wii-U

People don't buy just the Wii or the Wii U. Clearly no one is going to buy 3rd party games on the wii U since 90% of consumers bought it for its exclusives. Oh, and as far as the PS4 and xbox one go. The Wii U has more "notable" games then they do. And next year i only see myself getting Assassins creed, ratchet and clank, and uncharted 4 on the PS4. While on the wii U i will get zelda, captain toad, kirby :3, yoshis island and smash bros, which are arguably better games. Just saying. But opinions are opinions.

People don't buy just the Wii or the Wii U. Clearly no one is going to buy 3rd party games on the wii U since 90% of consumers bought it for its exclusives. Oh, and as far as the PS4 and xbox one go. The Wii U has more "notable" games then they do. And next year i only see myself getting Assassins creed, ratchet and clank, and uncharted 4 on the PS4. While on the wii U i will get zelda, captain toad, kirby :3, yoshis island and smash bros, which are arguably better games. Just saying. But opinions are opinions.

Yes opinions are opinions...but you said arguably better games and that is a phrase I have to latch on to :D

You provide no arguments as to why those are better games (because none of them are out yet so how can they be arguably better than other games that haven't come out yet).

So please explain how those games are arguably better...I am excited :D (note I am not saying they won't be good games...I just would love to hear how you have decided that Kirby 32, Zelda 65 and Yoshi's Island 13 will be arguably better than anything else people will put out)

• Like 1

They CAN keep supporting themselves like that because they have since the Wii. Most people only buy Nintendo consoles for the first party games, they buy Playstation or Xbox for everything else. That's why Nintendo consoles mostly having first party games works so well for them. They do it so well people will keep buying them whereas Sony and Microsoft pretty much have to latch onto any third party they can find to stay afloat.

WiiU only struggled for so long because, as someone else said here, no one knew what it was for that time. Most people assumed it was a new controller for the Wii or a new handheld device a la DS and didn't want to waste money on it. People are only now starting to realise it's actually a whole new console thanks to general media feedback and the fact more well-known first party games are being released on it is definitely helping it along.

Oh also, I bet if Sony released their own version of the WiiUs gamepad now, you'd praise it no matter how gimmicky it is. It's exactly the same as what happened with the Wiimote and PS Move. Everyone who disliked Nintendo bashed the Wiimote as a gimmick (when it really wasn't even one) yet as soon as Sony released the PS Move, it was the best innovation even though, quite frankly, the PS Move is awful compared to the Wiimote, especially after Nintendo improved it with the Motion Plus.

Edited by kamifox1

They CAN keep supporting themselves like that because they have since the Wii. Most people only buy Nintendo consoles for the first party games, they buy Playstation or Xbox for everything else. That's why Nintendo consoles mostly having first party games works so well for them. They do it so well people will keep buying them whereas Sony and Microsoft pretty much have to latch onto any third party they can find to stay afloat.

WiiU only struggled for so long because, as someone else said here, no one knew what it was for that time. Most people assumed it was a new controller for the Wii or a new handheld device a la DS and didn't want to waste money on it. People are only now starting to realise it's actually a whole new console thanks to general media feedback and the fact more well-known first party games are being released on it is definitely helping it along.

Oh also, I bet if Sony released their own version of the WiiUs gamepad now, you'd praise it no matter how gimmicky it is. It's exactly the same as what happened with the Wiimote and PS Move. Everyone who disliked Nintendo bashed the Wiimote as a gimmick (when it really wasn't even one) yet as soon as Sony released the PS Move, it was the best innovation even though, quite frankly, the PS Move is awful compared to the Wiimote, especially after Nintendo improved it with the Motion Plus.

No the gamepad is stupid no matter what company put it out. There is nothing wrong with gimmicks, but you shouldn't base your whole system on it.

I also love how people who don't know me instantly throw out the "you would praise anything Sony does" considering I have a Nintendo character as my Avatar and Sig :rolleyes: . If you have ever read any of my posts in regards to Nintendo, I complain that this once great company is letting itself become mediocre by relying too heavily on gimmicks and milking their franchises. A company that once upon a time was willing to take chances on unknown titles and risked losing a few dollars to deliver a different game once and awhile (eternal darkness, 1080, Waverace etc). Now they have become too reliant on the same 3 franchises that I honestly had to give up on them. Their new console is just about 2 years old and they have already released 2 mario games for it. It used to be when a new Mario game came out it was a HUGE deal. There used to be 1 or 2 for an entire console generation...think about that.

There are people that criticized and complained that Sony released a Smash clone (and it was a smash clone) but then praise Nintendo for releasing 2 Smash Bros in the same year. Sony may have copied the game style...but they gave you the game on 2 systems and allowed cross play between the 2 systems, Nintendo would never be caught dead doing that, I mean they didn't even give the game for free when you bought the special Smash Bros 3DS. You had to buy the limited edition console and then buy the game as well.

Also anyone who honestly thinks that the WIimote is better than the Move is such a blind fanboy that it isn't even worth debating. While the two can do functionally the same thing the quality of the Move/Camera vs the Wiimote/Sensor bar is night and day and that isn't opinion, that is just fact.

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 1

Yes opinions are opinions...but you said arguably better games and that is a phrase I have to latch on to :D

You provide no arguments as to why those are better games (because none of them are out yet so how can they be arguably better than other games that haven't come out yet).

So please explain how those games are arguably better...I am excited :D (note I am not saying they won't be good games...I just would love to hear how you have decided that Kirby 32, Zelda 65 and Yoshi's Island 13 will be arguably better than anything else people will put out)

Well, when i said arguably better, i ment that as in they are more attractive. By that i mean i would rather have a new Zelda title then i would a new Ratchet and clank title. Catch my drift? All I'm saying is that the Wii U can hold it's own. And if you don't own one all i can tell you is that you're missing out.

There was definitely a name brand problem for a long time with the Wii U, as many people could have easily predicted when they went with the name "Wii U".  Though, like kami said, people buy Nintendo platforms now for first party games.  When's the last time anyone was ever hyped for a third party game that's already on PS4 or something? People have a PS4 or XBO for third party games, since they're way better on those.  You can't get first party Wii U games anywhere else, so people buy them for Nintendo games, nothing else.  Plus, I guess there is a market for the Virtual Console games, by people who either sold their NES/SNES, or are too young to have had one, or something, and still want to play the games.

• Like 1

Well, when i said arguably better, i ment that as in they are more attractive. By that i mean i would rather have a new Zelda title then i would a new Ratchet and clank title. Catch my drift? All I'm saying is that the Wii U can hold it's own. And if you don't own one all i can tell you is that you're missing out.

That is true. So is your statement about people buying Nintendo consoles for Nintendo. What I'm about to say is not "I'll never buy a Wii U." but something that tries to be a bit more logical as far as the system's power goes. I think that if Nintendo made their console just as powerful as its competitors, it would be much more beneficial to the industry as a whole. third parties would make games for the system and if Sony and Microsoft saw all of these Nintendo style games selling, They might try to make more unique games (Like a new Crash Bandicoot for example) rather than just make games where the main goal is to shoot the bad guys.

Right now, it fells like Nintendo makes consoles to have a monopoly on their software.

Also anyone who honestly thinks that the WIimote is better than the Move is such a blind fanboy that it isn't even worth debating. While the two can do functionally the same thing the quality of the Move/Camera vs the Wiimote/Sensor bar is night and day and that isn't opinion, that is just fact.

Also, Don't argue about if the Wiimote and the Move are better. They both sucked. Wiimote had poor execution and cause me much frustration. The Move hardly had games incorporate it. It felt like a "because Nintendo's doing it, We'll do it!" thing.

Edited by Blue Flare
  • Like 1

Also, Don't argue about if the Wiimote and the Move are better. They both sucked. Wiimote had poor execution and cause me much frustration. The Move hardly had games incorporate it. It felt like a "because Nintendo's doing it, We'll do it!" thing.

True both weren't necessary and it is obvious both Sony and MS jumped on the motion craze with Move and Kinect.

But I was more laughing because Kami said the Wiimote was technologically superior to the Move...which just isn't true. Sony didn't support the Move enough but when it did (Sorcery is an incredible game and is probably the best Motion 3rd person game out there) it really worked well.

• Like 1

Personally, I view Nintendo vs Microsoft & Sony as if it were KFC vs McDonald's & Burger King. Same industry, but not "direct" competition (or at least not here in Australia anyway). I've always bought Sony for the power & great range of games, but Microsoft exclusives have never convinced me to buy an Xbox. Yes I always end up buying a Nintendo console because they have excellent exclusives that are always fun to play, regardless of hardware limitations. I'm never an early adopter for Nintendo, but I always get around to buying it once the good exclusives start pouring out. Wii U has had a troubled start, but with Mario Kart 8, Super Smash and Captain Toad etc. I believe they can turn it around. Let's not forget that the Wii was the best selling console of the last generation. Nintendo aren't stupid, they're quite the opposite.

True both weren't necessary and it is obvious both Sony and MS jumped on the motion craze with Move and Kinect.

But I was more laughing because Kami said the Wiimote was technologically superior to the Move...which just isn't true. Sony didn't support the Move enough but when it did (Sorcery is an incredible game and is probably the best Motion 3rd person game out there) it really worked well.

So... I can agree that the old wiis motion controls were absolute garbage, and though i have had no experience with the move. The Wii U's motion controls play like butter. They've improved the sensor bar tremendously, because i still use my old Wii controller with it and it has pin point accuracy, best part is that it doesn't fly off the screen like the Wii.

I'd never get a Nintendo console. They don't seem motivated to support it too much either, giving some heavy flaws the console has here and there and the fact it is so underpowered that it won't be able to run anymore 3rd parties. Besides, the kind of 1st party ninty games just aren't my cup of tea.

To be honest, I never ever expected Wii U games to look any better than what we have on PS360. They made it pretty clear that they don't care about hardware performance as much as building a system that can run their games the way the want them to run.

I still haven't picked one up yet. Waiting for a new 3D Mario or Metroid game before I give them my money.