Killzone 3 Multiplayer Going Free-2-Play

Dreakon139

The multiplayer portions of Sony's blockbuster first-person shooter title Killzone 3 will be released on the PlayStation Network as a free download, the company announced today on the PlayStation Blogcast, though the free version will sport a few restrictions.

Coming to North America February 28 (just a few days after the game's first anniversary), the free download will grant players access to Killzone 3's Warzone, Guerrilla Warfare, and Operations modes as well as all maps and DLC packs. However, free players will be prevented from ranking up past "Sergeant," the 10th rank out of 45 in the game.

In order to continue leveling up and achieving new trophies and weapons, players will have to unlock the full multiplayer mode at a cost of $14.99, or buy the full game, which also include an extensive single-player mode. It's a structure that's similar to other recent high-profile games that have added a free-to-play offering, like World of Warcraft, which caps free players at level 20.

Source: http://arstechnica.c...load-on-ps3.ars

I think the game is cheap enough now that you could probably buy the whole darn game for a little more than activating this for $15, but I may give this a download just to demo the multiplayer and see if it's worth it to me. Outside of Portal 2 and Borderlands, my collection is lacking in FPS's a little bit. Especially competitive ones.

Not sure if trophies are involved, but I'd say at the very least I wouldn't expect them without paying a little money.

EDIT: Just noticed it says "in order to continue leveling up and achieving new trophies and weapons"... which would indicate you get some for free playing, just not all of them. Which is odd considering Sony's stance of trophies with free games. :huh:

For all those interested, this is available now... on the US PSN at least.

Keep in mind though, they are considering this a "demo" and is in the Demo section of the PS Store. This confused me for a bit since the only "Killzone 3 Multiplayer" I saw available was $15... which makes sense but didn't click with me at the time. :lol:

Also, PS Plus users can buy the "full" version of this for 50% off now. So if you dig Killzone 3's multiplayer but don't want to spend $15-30 buying the full retail game (or unlocking the full version of this multiplayer release), maybe $7.50 sounds a little nicer to you.

Sony has always tried to market Killzone as the Halo killer...it has never even come close. They would have been much better off treating Resistance as their #1, even though they would have had to wait until '07.

Going with Uncharted 100% would've been the best choice, personally.