Gameplay tips?

StrickenBiged

Hey everyone

Just wondering how people are doing with regards to figuring out optimal strategies for this game. I'll happily admit that I suck. My best run so far, based on around 3 hours of play, got me a score of about 90 something.

But I see some guy on the leaderboard with a score of 33,000 odd!  :blink:

So I thought I'd start a thread for some tip sharing and maybe lead to a bit more competition on the leaderboards.

Anyone got this game figured out yet? I think it's fun so far, but I'd really like to survive more than the one night...

• Like 1

The score is based on kills x nights

I just did 450 kills and survived 5 nights which got me at 2250 points for example.

The best tip i can offer is to rush checkpoints, learn the daily maps layout so you know the shortest way to goal.

Make sure to grab the in-plain-sight minigames and get atleast the first 2 prizes, ignore the minigames if its too hidden.

Grabbing all brains you can (split your horde for better collecting) is vital for clearing fast.

And make sure to shield your horde and dont stnad in the few hazards in the game, the bigger the horde the better your barricade smashing becomes.

Also doing the helicopter boss, make sure to take all the brains before clearing it as there is more than plenty brains to get atleast 3 power ups.

• Like 2

I guess the 3 top guys you saw on the leaderboards were me, the dev and DiscoGitaroo. It was basically a competition between me and Disco, then the dev came in, I surpassed both with 68k points and then... Disco raped us with 460k points... yeah, it hurts but I guess he has gone full score since he didn't complete any challenge on that run. He played the way it is meant to be played if you are going for a leaderboard position.

I agree with the guy above says, but I would add some stuff. I will do the trophy guide for it when I finish the remaining 10 challenges for 150 what *should* net me the platinum, if wasn't for the 3 glitched trophies that will be patched monday. Probably I will not be the first legit platinum owner because someone will have the game updated and get the last trophies before I have the chance to, but well, it was worth the try.

• Focus on speedrunning. If it's not in your way or you need to stop pressing forward to get it, it's not worth your time.
  • When you reach the military base (after some cars and 3 switches activations + 2 yellow guys on the door) touch the military vehicle and grab. 10 seconds right there.  Divide the horde and press both buttons, merge and use shield to kill everyone from the car will stop ahead and push on to get the guy alone on the car stopped before your shield goes down. Use the shield again to kill the 2 rifle and 2 miniguns at the exit.
  • You are invencible to everything but smashers if you do a good skill control:
  • skvri9.jpg
  • You will get all *grinding* trophies when going for the challenges, do not worry about them. DO NOT work on challenges if you are there just for the score. I personally got my best leaderboard score doing all challenges I could and that made me get nuked WAAAAY before I could last to:
  • 2pzwd2c.jpg
  • Time invested = highest night reached = top score. Skill and layout knowledge pays out. LEARN THE MAP! EXPLORE IT! Some times doing the 'right' way is not worth, shortcut is better, even if you get less humans doing it.
  • Back rear touch is better than touchscreen (in my oppinion). Abuse of it.
  • When you can reach your enemies (the any of the ones that attack back, not the puny humans that just run away) before they spawn (you will know all this from the back of your head after several runs) use shield. If they are spawned waiting for you, use stun.
  • Grab is nearly useless, there is only one place I use it (check above). Use it only if you are surrounded from every side and it's not worth going after  each cluster, but all the kills are worth to get. You lose 5~6 seconds standing still while it is active.
  • Stun is better than Shield, save it for panicking moments (after some time invested, there will be none).
  • Use Shield most of the times, it's a lifesaver. Never let the minigun guy hit you, he can finish your game. Shield against and press forward.
  • After a few days, skills are not a problem (check the first image). Don't save them, but don't waste them on civilians either. If they require too much effort to be recruited, do not recruit them.
  • When you are in the dynamite section, open all boxes while you wait the fuses and wait in front of the dynamite door to proceed. Use Rush when it opens, it's a big area with few humans, a big waste of time. If your horde is big enough to spawn 2 trucks when you reach the switch, use Stun and go for them. If you spawn 2 trucks and 1 helicopter, IT'S CHRISTMAS!
  • Minigames, never do them. 15 humans and 5 seconds are not worth your time and minigames break your pace, you won't remember where you are quickly enough after it ends. Don't do them unless they are unnavoidable. In such case, you just need to keep going forward after they are done. Still, not worth it, you have WAAAAAY over packs when you finish the challenges since you get 1 pack per challenge. I got all my stickers at 113 challenges and I got 41 packs now at 141 challenges.
  • Use R and L to move the camera. If you played enough you will recongnise each area after you enter them and always keep your camera showing where you are going. This is obvious, but worth pointing out.
  • If your game starts out with a lot of barriers and protected switches, it isn't worth. Change your vita clock to randomize another day until you feel comfortable. After many hours sinked in this game, the game you spawn won't make any difference though, you will blast each and every day quickly.
Edited by TheYuriG
  • Like 2

I just had a long run (reached day 31) where i managed to do about 14 challenges, but i started the run with the challenge to turn 8 agents in a single run and i kept that challenge with only 3/8 at the end. anyone knows how they spawn?

FBI and soldiers challenges are the worst in the game as you cannot control their spawns with your horde number. I found a nice easter egg where you touch an arcade machine in SAM'S MARKET and 2 FBI cars spawn with 3-8 FBI agents everytime. It's hard to specify the location, as places doesn't have names, but it is right before one of the most annoying parts of the game (the other one being the dynamite section) where you break a gate, activate 3 switches and break another gate to a long street with houses on the left side only. At the end of this street, before the next area, there is ALWAYS a stopped cop car with 2 enemies, depending of your horde number. Before the first gate, there is a street in L shape. At the part where you touch the street, there should be an enemies vehicle stopped waiting for you or one will come after you break this gate and touch the street. To progress to the first breakable barrier in the forementioned annoying part, you must turn right at the L street, but DO NOT yet. Go ahead and you will see SAM'S MARKET, now search around it for the right arcade, it will look like this: 

hrkort.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

FBI and soldiers challenges are the worst in the game as you cannot control their spawns with your horde number. I found a nice easter egg where you touch an arcade machine in SAM'S MARKET and 2 FBI cars spawn with 3-8 FBI agents everytime. It's hard to specify the location, as places doesn't have names, but it is right before one of the most annoying parts of the game (the other one being the dynamite section) where you break a gate, activate 3 switches and break another gate to a long street with houses on the left side only. At the end of this street, before the next area, there is ALWAYS a stopped cop car with 2 enemies, depending of your horde number. Before the first gate, there is a street in L shape. At the part where you touch the street, there should be an enemies vehicle stopped waiting for you or one will come after you break this gate and touch the street. To progress to the first breakable barrier in the forementioned annoying part, you must turn right at the L street, but DO NOT yet. Go ahead and you will see SAM'S MARKET, now search around it for the right arcade, it will look like this: 

Yuri you are a bro for posting this tip.  Literally the last challenges I had to complete were FBI agent ones and this would've taken me forever otherwise.

Good luck trying to beat the top scores.

Edited by Superbuu3

Yuri you are a bro for posting this tip.  Literally the last challenges I had to complete were FBI agent ones and this would've taken me forever otherwise.

Good luck trying to beat the top scores.

You are welcome. Both this game and the Binding Of Isaac, the only 2 games I've ever played without knowing if the plat was possible (both wasn't on launch, my luck), I've tried to get the top first achievers, for such reason, I tried to be as helpful as possible, got one guide for THH and a exploit thread for TBoI. I like to help people when I have the chance to. :)

You are welcome. Both this game and the Binding Of Isaac, the only 2 games I've ever played without knowing if the plat was possible (both wasn't on launch, my luck), I've tried to get the top first achievers, for such reason, I tried to be as helpful as possible, got one guide for THH and a exploit thread for TBoI. I like to help people when I have the chance to. :)

Hey man glad you saw my post. I think this is the first time I've actually been completely stumped on a trophy, normally its just a question of things not being in the right way, those FBI guys just wouldn't appear and i needed 50 of them. I am genuinely amazed at your observation skills noticing something like interacting with an arcade machine in a game like this.  I seriously wouldn't have checked or noticed that hitting the machine was what caused the spawn.

I'll definitely check out your posts on the binding of Isaac again thanks man.

Hey man glad you saw my post. I think this is the first time I've actually been completely stumped on a trophy, normally its just a question of things not being in the right way, those FBI guys just wouldn't appear and i needed 50 of them. I am genuinely amazed at your observation skills noticing something like interacting with an arcade machine in a game like this.  I seriously wouldn't have checked or noticed that hitting the machine was what caused the spawn.

I'll definitely check out your posts on the binding of Isaac again thanks man.

I only noticed it because you used the quote button, so I got a notification for it. The games I write guides for, are my babies and I take care of them, answering any questions people might have about them. I wouldn't be amazed by it, I got it thrice by luck and then I tried to find a pattern in the next rounds which I luckly did. Other people could have figured that out too, given them enough time, but I was the first only because I was completely suck into this game for a whole week, so I had spent more time on it overall than most people in the first week (almost first platinum achiever too, got ninja'd by 13 minutes because my internet connection was too slow to download the patch).

Give TBoI a go whenever you have the chance. I have a thread on .org for how to exploit the game easily and get anything outta it, if you are not against that. Just beware that the platinum for the EU version of the game is still unnachiavable for the time being, the patch rolling out finally in a few days. Consider that before starting, since I see your flag is british.

I only noticed it because you used the quote button, so I got a notification for it. The games I write guides for, are my babies and I take care of them, answering any questions people might have about them. I wouldn't be amazed by it, I got it thrice by luck and then I tried to find a pattern in the next rounds which I luckly did. Other people could have figured that out too, given them enough time, but I was the first only because I was completely suck into this game for a whole week, so I had spent more time on it overall than most people in the first week (almost first platinum achiever too, got ninja'd by 13 minutes because my internet connection was too slow to download the patch).

Give TBoI a go whenever you have the chance. I have a thread on .org for how to exploit the game easily and get anything outta it, if you are not against that. Just beware that the platinum for the EU version of the game is still unnachiavable for the time being, the patch rolling out finally in a few days. Consider that before starting, since I see your flag is british.

whats .org?

• 3 months later...

So I've just started with this game a few days ago and I'm absolutely terrible haha. From what I'm seeing I need to survive to night 5, but no farther than that. Or am I reading the trophies wrong? I'm hoping over the next few days and with more time into this I'll get better, but damn am I bad so far. I appreciate all the tips I was able to read above. Using them I've finally made it past night one, not very impressive I know, but i felt good not dying once again.

So I've just started with this game a few days ago and I'm absolutely terrible haha. From what I'm seeing I need to survive to night 5, but no farther than that. Or am I reading the trophies wrong? I'm hoping over the next few days and with more time into this I'll get better, but damn am I bad so far. I appreciate all the tips I was able to read above. Using them I've finally made it past night one, not very impressive I know, but i felt good not dying once again.

I have a trophy guide for everything, you should stick to that instead of this thread as I didn't update this as much.

• Like 1