Downloading Digital Version? Read here first.

Senor_T_Dub

Howdy all,

I purchased the digital version of the game and found that only 600mb of data download off PSN. It will then download the game when you launch it for the first-time. This means (unless I'm mistaken) that you cannot download it in the background. It also means if you have your PS4 set to auto shutoff, like I did, it will turn off whether it has finished or not. In my case it turned off before it was completely downloaded and I had to start again. If your downloading the digital version, make sure to set your PS4 to not auto shutoff.

-Tom

Howdy all,

I purchased the digital version of the game and found that only 600mb of data download off PSN. It will then download the game when you launch it for the first-time. This means (unless I'm mistaken) that you cannot download it in the background. It also means if you have your PS4 set to auto shutoff, like I did, it will turn off whether it has finished or not. In my case it turned off before it was completely downloaded and I had to start again. If your downloading the digital version, make sure to set your PS4 to not auto shutoff.

-Tom

Yes sir you are mistaken, I downloaded the 600MB, then the rest was downloading in the background. You can CHOOSE to download/install at the same time by opening the game, but beware, you have to look at the installation slides for a long while while your game DL/Installs at the same time. 

Yes sir you are mistaken, I downloaded the 600MB, then the rest was downloading in the background. You can CHOOSE to download/install at the same time by opening the game, but beware, you have to look at the installation slides for a long while while your game DL/Installs at the same time. 

Is that really different from what PS3 games did during installs? Or hell, even old shit like C&C: Red Alert 2 on PC.  Seriously, I don't think I've ever done the whole "preplay" thing.  I've just never trusted to play pre installed games.  Wouldn't even play prepatch World of Warcraft stuff.

Why?

My guess is because some people have slow connections and it takes at least an hour to download games that large.  I know because before I upgraded my connection quite significantly, it took me two days after work to download the Welcome Back games (Infamous and Dead Nation), totaling to about 1-2 hours each at least.  There's also the space issue, not everyone has nice big HDDs like 1 or 2TB.  Sometimes you can't have so much as a 10GB game if you have a 60/80/120GB drive and lots on PSN games or music/videos/photos.

The biggest game I downloaded on PS4 was probably DCUO, I was trying it out.

There's at least 29GB of download though when I played it, it didn't really last long on my PS4 coz I still got bored after a few hours of playing it.

It's ok to download games that are bigger than 20GB as long as you have a fast internet connection or you have other thing/games to do to keep you busy while you wait.

I've also noticed that when you're playing the game while it is still downloading the rest of the game in the background that the download speed would greatly decrease, but that was a long time ago (that was on June when I was downloading EA UFC).