Dr_Mayus' Year End Awards-2014

Dr_Mayus

Seems like there aren't any clear winners for your awards Mayus although I can't see any game beating out Fairytale Fighters as your Worst platinum of the year though. Guess I will have to see if I end up being surprised dood xD

I am actually debating on the winners (losers) for each category...except you may be right about the Worst Platinum :ninja:

dead-nation-300x168.jpg

Most Badass Moment

Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition- There were several parts in this game where my skills actually impressed me :P, I managed to beat the Graveyard level on Morbid without even getting hit on my first try  ( I was completely in the zone during that) + also finally getting to round 10 on endless was truly rewarding. The final fight in the main campaign on morbid was also epic, the music definitely helps with that.

Honorable Mentions:

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor- EVERY ORC FIGHT

inFamous First Light- Surviving to very high round in survival mode

imBc2NS_iIM.jpg

Biggest Bomb

Watch_Dogs- This was an easy one to pick, I had so much high hopes for this game and it turned out being very mediocre. The story was bland, the characters were bland and the driving was awful. The only credit I can give to this game is the hacking and even that was lacking in several areas. I know this game will be getting a sequel, lets hope Ubisoft do a AC1- AC2 and make many improvements in the sequel.

Honorable Mentions:

PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale (Vita)- Y u not lyk smash bros?

Jak II- Not as good as first game

BIg6WYyA5B_scale_300x500.jpg

Sleeper Hit of the Year

Dust: An Elysian Tail- Got this game from PS+, never heard of it before but it is a very fun game.  The fact that it was created by one person is amazing, the combat was incredibly fun.

Honorable Mentions:

Warframe- Very fun FTP game

Doki-Doki Universe- Surprising fun

Strider- Fun combat

17d52e4bca1f25e854adfa763c8914c04f6081d4

Biggest Grind

Mercenary Kings- Didn't like this game the start but after I gave it a chance and ranked up higher levels it was a lot more fun to play, grinding out materials and missions took a chunk of my time though.

Honorable Mentions:

Assassins Creed IV Black Flag- MP grind

Killzone Shadow Fall- A lot of MP requirements, luckily MP is fun so didn't feel like grind.

90968.jpg

Best Platinum of the Year

Middle-Earth:Shadow of Mordor- My most anticipated game this year did not disappoint me. The combat was brilliantly done and very fun, the nemesis system is very innovative and can't wait to see where they go with it. Trophy wise I had no problems, easy list and very enjoyable. Also my 50th platinum :)

Honorable Mentions:

BioShock Infinite- Fantastic game

Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition- Very rewarding game

Brutal Legend- One of my first PS3 games, been playing om/off for years, great start to 2014.

6211504995_6705a1644f_o-179x107.jpg

Worst Platinum of the Year

Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken- I honestly have no idea why I even played this game, gameplay was boring, zero atmosphere. Instant delete when I got that platinum.

Honorable Mentions:

Jak II- Ever heard of checkpoints Naughty Dog?

Heavy Fire: Shattered Spear- Not as good as first game, very glitchy

Edited by Langy900
  • Like 4

Bad Ass Moment - Spec Ops the line. I got it from PS+ but didn't play it until this year. I didn't think it was anything special for a third person shooter. Then I got to the second half of the game. And all the shit hit the fan and the story shines. It is one of those moments in gaming where I wish I could play it again for the first time.

Bomb -  batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate. I was very excited for the handheld batman title. I had hoped that it would be in line with the DLC mission in the Robin dlc for Arkham City game. Boy was I wrong. Terrible map system. dumbed down combat reducing it to 90% beat downs of enemies, terrible story. Terrible collectables that require 3 play thrus.

Sleeper Hit - Child of LIght. I know its highly recommended but I am no fan of RPG's I've never liked them and they are not my genre of choice. That being said I've been trying to play different games this year. And this was one of them. I loved the story from start to finish. I loved the art style and the world its self. I did die and have to restart more times than I'd like to admit. But I never wanted to stop playing it. I wanted to know how the story ended.

Biggest Grind - Rayman Legends Vita. How big of a grind do you ask. I'm still grinding out those challenges now. And I wont have the plat until Feb 20th. Give or take a few days. For plats that I did earn this year I give it to The Hungry Horde. A randomly generated game that gives you challenges to do kill x amount of this destroy x amount of this in a single run. :blah: I was glad to plat it and delete it from my vita. Just to see a new dlc a few days later dragging away my newly acquired 100% :shakefist:

Plat of the Year - Hard to pick 1. I truly loved The wolf Among Us for its story, and Wolfenstein: The New Order for its story/graphics/gameplay. Both were easy plats to earn, but were fun every step of the way and never felt like a chore.

Worst plat of the Year - I know I might get some flak for this but my vote goes to Tearaway. I really didn't like this game. apparently there where a lot of levels removed from the game that was showed if game play trailers. That never even made its way to the game via patch or DLC. My game save corrupted near the end causing me to have to play the entire game over again after having to delete game data and re-install. Collectables are a pain in the arse, combat was boring. Even the platforming bits are dull. The only plus i will give it,  I liked the soundtrack to the game.

Runner up is The hungry Horde. But I can't be too hard on that one since I had no idea of its existence until it showed up for a free game on ps+

• Like 1

Worst plat of the Year - I know I might get some flak for this but my vote goes to Tearaway. I really didn't like this game. apparently there where a lot of levels removed from the game that was showed if game play trailers. That never even made its way to the game via patch or DLC. My game save corrupted near the end causing me to have to play the entire game over again after having to delete game data and re-install. Collectables are a pain in the arse, combat was boring. Even the platforming bits are dull. The only plus i will give it,  I liked the soundtrack to the game.

Runner up is The hungry Horde. But I can't be too hard on that one since I had no idea of its existence until it showed up for a free game on ps+

:o Tearaway :(

Yeah there were some levels removed as well as features (the horn was supposed to be you yelling at your vita...glad that was removed) That is why I like the Year End Awards, you get a whole bunch of varying opinions (that are backed up by statements).

As a side note, I have platted Hatsune so now that is a strong contender for my Plat of the Year :D

• 2 weeks later...

Most Badass Moment

24304994.png

Being ambushed on the Impossible difficulty in XCOM Enemy Unknown by 12 Heavy Mutons, 6 Heavy Floaters, and 3 Thin Men o_O … My first response was: “Holy shit, are you fucking kidding me!!!”. After that I used my Heavy soldier’s Plasma Rocket Launcher to destroy all the enemy cover. Used the Medic and Scout to weaken the enemies and finally finished the job with my 3 OP, flying Snipers killing 11 Heavy Mutons, 4 Heavy Floaters, and all 3 Thin Men in 1 turn B). Now that’s what I call a Badass Moment.

Honorable mention: Naruto vs. Kyuubi, Naruto vs. Sasuke, and Sasuke + Itachi vs. Kabuto in Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 Full Burst

Biggest Bomb

assassin_s_creed__liberation_hd___icon_b

Assassin’s Creed Liberation HD. AC2 was awesome, AC3 was ok, but ACL was just riding on the AC hype. Story was very mediocre and completed in 6 hours. After that it took about 5 hours to get all the collectables. Such a disappointment.

Sleeper Hit

borderlands_2_icon_by_kikofakiko-d52lx3n

Borderlands 2. After the terrible BL1 I wasn’t expecting much improvements, but I was wrong. It has an actual story, the cars drive like normal vehicles, side quests, areas, and enemies aren’t recycled that much. I liked it so much, I even wrote a guide about it.

Biggest Grind

kingdom_hearts_re___chain_of_memories_ic

This is by far Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories. 6 playtroughs, collecting all cards, getting to lvl 99, reaching lvl 99 (AGAIN!!!), creating 300 rooms, edit a deck 500 times. It wouldn’t have been so bad if there were multiple endings. The runner-up is XCOM Enemy Unknown with 5 playthroughs.

Best Platinum

persona_4_icon_by_andonovmarko-d87xotn.p

This one is a no-brainer: Persona 4 Golden. This is how games are meant to be and it’s one of the best RPGs I’ve played in my life. It has: an extremely well written story, fleshed out characters with their own personal questlines, a lot of choices to make which greatly add to the replay value (I did 3 playthroughs back-to-back and still haven’t seen everything), humor, cool personas, multiple endings and so much more. 

Btw this is the only Game Icon I could find for Persona 4 Golden  -_-

Worst Platinum

ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch-logo

Ni No Kuni Wrath of the White Witch. RPGs are my favorite game genre: you can explore amazing locations, have interesting party members, important female characters are hot, fight epic battles against bosses, use magic, it can keep you entertained for dozens of hours, there’s a lot of replay value, etc. However, Ni No Kuni feels like a game designed for 7 year olds. It’s childish, predictable, boring, repetitive, side quests are recycled over and over (and over) again,  party members are useless, Drippy is a useless asshole that does nothing, but always wants to take the credit for everything.  the only cool-looking pokémon familiar is an ultra rare encounter, catching pokémons taming familiars is a random event. It was extremely overhyped and I didn’t understand what people liked about it.

• Like 3

Most Badass Moment

24304994.png

Being ambushed on the Impossible difficulty in XCOM Enemy Unknown by 12 Heavy Mutons, 6 Heavy Floaters, and 3 Thin Men o_O … My first response was: “Holy shit, are you fucking kidding me!!!”. After that I used my Heavy soldier’s Plasma Rocket Launcher to destroy all the enemy cover. Used the Medic and Scout to weaken the enemies and finally finished the job with my 3 OP, flying Snipers killing 11 Heavy Mutons, 4 Heavy Floaters, and all 3 Thin Men in 1 turn B). Now that’s what I call a Badass Moment.

Honorable mention: Naruto vs. Kyuubi, Naruto vs. Sasuke, and Sasuke + Itachi vs. Kabuto in Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 Full Burst

Biggest Bomb

assassin_s_creed__liberation_hd___icon_b

Assassin’s Creed Liberation HD. AC2 was awesome, AC3 was ok, but ACL was just riding on the AC hype. Story was very mediocre and completed in 6 hours. After that it took about 5 hours to get all the collectables. Such a disappointment.

Sleeper Hit

borderlands_2_icon_by_kikofakiko-d52lx3n

Borderlands 2. After the terrible BL1 I wasn’t expecting much improvements, but I was wrong. It has an actual story, the cars drive like normal vehicles, side quests, areas, and enemies aren’t recycled that much. I liked it so much, I even wrote a guide about it.

Biggest Grind

kingdom_hearts_re___chain_of_memories_ic

This is by far Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories. 6 playtroughs, collecting all cards, getting to lvl 99, reaching lvl 99 (AGAIN!!!), creating 300 rooms, edit a deck 500 times. It wouldn’t have been so bad if there were multiple endings. The runner-up is XCOM Enemy Unknown with 5 playthroughs.

Best Platinum

persona_4_icon_by_andonovmarko-d87xotn.p

This one is a no-brainer: Persona 4 Golden. This is how games are meant to be and it’s one of the best RPGs I’ve played in my life. It has: an extremely well written story, fleshed out characters with their own personal questlines, a lot of choices to make which greatly add to the replay value (I did 3 playthroughs back-to-back and still haven’t seen everything), humor, cool personas, multiple endings and so much more. 

Btw this is the only Game Icon I could find for Persona 4 Golden  -_-

Worst Platinum

ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch-logo

Ni No Kuni Wrath of the White Witch. RPGs are my favorite game genre: you can explore amazing locations, have interesting party members, important female characters are hot, fight epic battles against bosses, use magic, it can keep you entertained for dozens of hours, there’s a lot of replay value, etc. However, Ni No Kuni feels like a game designed for 7 year olds. It’s childish, predictable, boring, repetitive, side quests are recycled over and over (and over) again,  party members are useless, Drippy is a useless asshole that does nothing, but always wants to take the credit for everything.  the only cool-looking pokémon familiar is an ultra rare encounter, catching pokémons taming familiars is a random event. It was extremely overhyped and I didn’t understand what people liked about it.

First off that X-Com story is badass :). Second I completely agree about Ni No Kuni, I thought I was the only one who didn't like that game.

Also my picks are out now. Here is to a great 2014 and hopefully 2015 provides us with more great games to play :)

• Like 1

Great list and fun read!  Thanks for doing this, I even went back and read last year's.  However your list is missing one winner...

Chie_Satonaka_is_crying.jpg

Chie :( I was going to do a Best Male and Female of the year...and she would have won that. She did join the Trinity of Green though :)

21ll7qh.jpg

• Like 1