Compare profile stats to community average...

antithesis

Being a curious sort of fellow, I'd be interested in being able to compare my # of Games Played, Completed Games, Completion %, Level, Completed Trophies, Unearned Trophies, Trophies Per Day, Average Rank etc to the community average.

It's conceptually similar to the existing Compare feature, but instead of comparing Trophies with other individual PSN users, you're comparing your stats to the community average.

The reason I ask is whenever I play MP online, I take the time to browse through the competitors profiles and it's uncommon to see users with more than a couple of Platinums and 1000 total trophies. It's even rarer to find someone with 25 Plats or more.

Most gamers seem to stick to a few games and play the shit out of them for in-game stats (e.g. levels, equipment, prestige etc), but they don't tend to bother with the Trophies. So how do you, fellow Trophy Hunters, compare to the average PS gamer?

I'd also be interested in a more detailed statistical breakdown in a table format, e.g % of users with X number of Platinums - 90% of PSNP has 1 Platinum Trophy, 10% has 25 Plats, 1% has 100 Plats, etc. More or less the same shit in a different bucket, but it'd be big old page of stats as an overview of the community. However, that's pretty much a separate feature and I'm not sure where you'd slot that into the site framework.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

I like the idea, it would be a bit on the time-consuming side in my guess though, but I'd say it'd be a worthwhile feature for the statistically curious. As for where to put such a feature, wouldn't a user's PSN profile page be the best spot for it?

Every feature request is potentially time-consuming. It's whether or not it adds value that should determine its implementation.

The data already exists, it's just repurposing and presenting it in a different format. In large, it's mostly simple calculations of variables e.g Trophies Earned / Gamers Tracked = Average Trophies per Gamer. At this moment in time, it's 1,161,392,033/1,849,546 = 628 Trophies per Gamer Tracked. 

There will be similarly simple equations for a lot of the stats, it just depends on what can be data-mined, like total # of Platinum trophies etc. Obviously, if (and it's a big if) a spread of data is produced to create graded tables, there's more work involved.

Ultimately, whether or not that information is actually useful is a question only Sly can answer. The community average might look like a pile of shit and tell us what we already know - most gamers don't care about Trophies. But that teaspoon-deep level of analysis shouldn't require much effort.

Edited by ant1th3s1s