PS4 - Do I need the disc to play?

Hey guys! :)

Can you play the game without the disc inserted when you buy the retail version? I keep hearing it's not possible, but many people also report that it is indeed possible to play without the disc.

I wanna get a retail copy for collection purposes, but if you do need the disc inserted, then I'll probably go digital instead.

No you don't. I bought the ps3 version then updated to the ps4 version. From my experience, I only needed the disc for the initial setup.

Yeah same, but it might be different for people who own the PS4 disc version of the game and haven't upgraded from the PS3 though

No the disc isn't required at all for either consoles; the disc only provides the basic files for FFXIV so that you don't have to download the Entire portions (excluding DLCs and Additional files for different events). Once you installed the basic files, you can ditch your disc away (unless you deleted the all of the game file on the XMB and want to reinstall)

For future events and maybe expansions (except paying expansions like Heavensward is a whole different thing), will automatically remove/download certain files when you login.

No the disc isn't required at all for either consoles; the disc only provides the basic files for FFXIV so that you don't have to download the Entire portions (excluding DLCs and Additional files for different events). Once you installed the basic files, you can ditch your disc away (unless you deleted the all of the game file on the XMB and want to reinstall)

For future events and maybe expansions (except paying expansions like Heavensward is a whole different thing), will automatically remove/download certain files when you login.

You sure? I just bought the disc version (PS4) and I can confirm that you DO need the disc. I always get a message to insert the disc everytime I want to boot up the game (after the full installation). But I could fix the issue by completely uninstalling the game and downloading the trial off of PSN and it seems to work (I still have the 30 days trial from the disc instead of the 14 days of the trial).

You sure? I just bought the disc version (PS4) and I can confirm that you DO need the disc. I always get a message to insert the disc everytime I want to boot up the game (after the full installation). But I could fix the issue by completely uninstalling the game and downloading the trial off of PSN and it seems to work (I still have the 30 days trial from the disc instead of the 14 days of the trial).

yeah, people were asking on the Square Enix FFXIV lodestone forums about it and the official response was above (unless they changed it very recently on this policy for new-gen consoles; which I doubt it). I, for one, didn't buy the PS4 version, I did the free upgrade from my PS3 and was able to download through PSN. Even on the PS3 version, I didn't need the disc. 

But I guess you confirmed it; you can try downloading the trial version (assuming it is the same launcher and has access to the same content as everyone) and use that to login instead of a disc. 

the launcher for FFXIV on ps store should be free like in the PS3 ps store

Edited by Smushpie