Best Monitor For PS4?

Xel

So as the title says, I'm looking for a quality monitor with a 1ms response time and an excellent refresh rate. Not much of an expert when it comes to these kind of things so I need your help friends. My budget is around 550$- 600$

It's more of a tv and less of a monitor, but I use a Panasonic Viera TC-L32C5. http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-L32C5-32-Inch-Model/dp/B00752RAA4/ref=cm_cr_pr_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8 (You can probably find it cheaper than this page, but it has the specs if you wanted them) The one I have only goes to 720p, but they make some that have 1080p if you need that. It has very low response time (I think in game mode it has theoretical 1ms) and I've never felt or seen any input lag with it. It's also well within your budget.

Edited by theguytom
  • Like 1

It's more of a tv and less of a monitor, but I use a Panasonic Viera TC-L32C5. http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-L32C5-32-Inch-Model/dp/B00752RAA4/ref=cm_cr_pr_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8 (You can probably find it cheaper than this page, but it has the specs if you wanted them) The one I have only goes to 720p, but they make some that have 1080p if you need that. It has very low response time (I think in game mode it has theoretical 1ms) and I've never felt or seen any input lag with it. It's also well within your budget.

Looks neat but I need a monitor for now. Thanks anyway.  :)

http://www.amazon.com/VS278Q-P-Ultrafast-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B009HNEBLK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428884632&sr=8-1&keywords=monitors+27+inch+1ms

I see no point in suggesting  a monitor which offers 1080p (above)/144hz since I highly doubt the any ps4 game will ever achieve such thing. The higher response certainly is nice and since I often play on both monitor and tv, I definitely feel better 'crisp control' on the monitor, however I would still only recommend getting it if you play fighting games.

Edited by Hyunyoung
  • Like 1

http://www.amazon.com/VS278Q-P-Ultrafast-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B009HNEBLK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428884632&sr=8-1&keywords=monitors+27+inch+1ms

I see no point in suggesting  a monitor which offers 1080p (above)/144hz since I highly doubt the any ps4 game will ever achieve such thing. The higher response certainly is nice and since I often play on both monitor and tv, I definitely feel better 'crisp control' on the monitor, however I would still only recommend getting it if you play fighting games.

True. I also believe games like COD or Battlefield may suffer from framerate hiccups or input lag so that's why I need a better response time and I prefer monitor over TV because smaller pixels offer a sharper image. 

Edited by the_drag0n2

True. I also believe games like COD or Battlefield may suffer from framerate hiccups or input lag so that's why I need a better response time and I prefer monitor over TV because smaller pixels offer a sharper image. 

Frame rate has nothing to do with monitor tv/monitor being used but the console/pc hardware, input lag in the other hand depends on the frame rate you are playing, it is widely accepted that if the game you are playing doesn't go above 60fps anything between 2-5ms of reponse time is okay, however if the game is being played at anything above 60fps then a 1-2ms is recommended.

Frame rate has nothing to do with monitor tv/monitor being used but the console/pc hardware, input lag in the other hand depends on the frame rate you are playing, it is widely accepted that if the game you are playing doesn't go above 60fps anything between 2-5ms of reponse time is okay, however if the game is being played at anything above 60fps then a 1-2ms is recommended.

I see. :hmm:  Thanks for the info.

I got the Samsung (U28590D) 28 inch with 1 ms response. The control knob is on the lower back right of the monitor, a few users complained about it, but it actually works really well

I'm happy with it for both PC and Ps4, I buy a new monitor every 2 to 3 years

Edited by nevetsteven2

I got the Samsung (U28590D) 28 inch with 1 ms response. The control knob is on the lower back right of the monitor, a few users complained about it, but it actually works really well

I'm happy with it for both PC and Ps4, I buy a new monitor every 2 to 3 years

I've heard only positive things about this one I'll keep a look out for sure. However, my concern is this, do you think not having IPS will affect the overall quality and the colors of the displayed image or is TN better for video games?

Edited by the_drag0n2

I've heard only positive things about this one I'll keep a look out for sure. However, my concern is this, do you think not having IPS will affect the overall quality and the colors of the displayed image or is TN better for video games?

Depends on the monitor, generally all TN's are inferior in every aspect except response time. With a budget that high I'd go for IPS. There are some nice ones by asus with great response times (~5ms)

Btw that Samsung monitor is a 4K display, which is overkill for a PS4 since it doesn't have the power to support it. You should go for a native 1080p display since the color reproduction and image quality in motion will likely be far superior at the same price point.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/13/2015 at 1:14 AM, Xeliot said:

Thanks for the suggestions I can now formalize my opinion and decided which monitor I should go for.  ^_^

Going on 2 years now.:P So what did you get? And is it still amazing now?

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear you like it.

I too am looking now for a monitor for my PS4.  My kids use the living room a lot and I am going to setup somewhere in a quieter part of the house.

I'm quite keen on the idea of a monitor and headphones over a TV because I find music\rhythm games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band and just more playable without all the post processing TV's add to the sound output.

Problem is no-one seems to be making 4K 16:9 HDR monitors. At least not that I have found.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

XL series are neat. I wonder if Benq plans on making HDR monitors in the future seeing how popular it is these days.