Free DLC on May 8 to PC & Mac

Artemisthemp

Source - http://www.shoptonew...dlc-next-month/

Free DLC will be released for PC & Mac on May 8.

Nothing is currently know about PS3 or Xbox 360, other than it won't be free for 360 (Microsoft Policy only allow 1 free Add-on pr. Game)

Another reason to not like Microsoft......anyway, Sony could give it for free right?? They don't have a lame policy like Microsoft's do they?

Another reason to not like Microsoft......anyway, Sony could give it for free right?? They don't have a lame policy like Microsoft's do they?

Nope that's why Valve made the Cross Play with them.

But they have lame Policy, when come to Documentation for getting stuff up on PSN (Read NISA Forum - Scandinavia DLC)

Nope that's why Valve made the Cross Play with them.

But they have lame Policy, when come to Documentation for getting stuff up on PSN (Read NISA Forum - Scandinavia DLC)

Hmmm, so that's why there seems to be a delay. :blink:

I was wondering when this DLC would finally see the light of day.

I'm not sure the reasoning to make a dumbed-down editor though, just to make it PC exclusive. They already have an editor, one that probably (though with a much higher learning curve) can make more diverse and unique levels/puzzles.

The concept at least is definitely possible on consoles, even the 360. Numerous Xbox 360 games allow you to create and share custom content, it just probably wouldn't run through some faux-Steam client like the PS3 will.

I love you Valve. Even if you havent given me Half-Life 2: episode 3 yet, I still love you more than a fat kid loves cake.

The Steam Workshop doesn't have a high learning curve as other programs but it's still not easy to learn. They dont use Workshop for Portal level creations though. Only Team Fortress 2 and Skyrim are on there right now. I'm not entirely sure what they use to edit Portal levels.

The issue as to why there is no level editor on consoles is more because of the consoles themselves. Limited resources, fixed ram etc is hard to make a program for. Media Molecule have it down for LBP but for the level of sophistication that would be required for a game like Portal, I think a lot of consoles would break. I think Valve is actually willing to make the program for level editing for consoles, it's just Sony/Microsoft hasnt allowed them to do so.

As for the free DLC issue, I think this is one of those moments where PC get to be the beta testers for the new DLC. They did it for Skyrim's patch 1.5 so they might just be giving it to the PC people early, getting them to find the glitches, errors and things that can possibly break in the console versions before giving it to the consoles. Who knows though.

The issue as to why there is no level editor on consoles is more because of the consoles themselves. Limited resources, fixed ram etc is hard to make a program for. Media Molecule have it down for LBP but for the level of sophistication that would be required for a game like Portal, I think a lot of consoles would break. I think Valve is actually willing to make the program for level editing for consoles, it's just Sony/Microsoft hasnt allowed them to do so.

I don't really buy that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8dB322iorz0

I have to think that the level editor will be something akin to what you see in this video. Every image/video I've seen regarding this DLC has looked like this. A dumbed-down 2.5D isometric level editor that (I would imagine) turns 3D when playing on it. If they can't manage to figure that out when PS3 games like LittleBigPlanet and Xbox 360 Arcade games like Trials Evolution have fully-featured editors and sharing communities... and despite allowing those, Sony and Microsoft still won't allow a Portal 2 editor on their consoles... then this situation is worse off than I thought. Valve must've screwed up somewhere along the line.

If they can't manage to figure that out when PS3 games like LittleBigPlanet and Xbox 360 Arcade games like Trials Evolution have fully-featured editors and sharing communities... and despite allowing those, Sony and Microsoft still won't allow a Portal 2 editor on their consoles... then this situation is worse off than I thought. Valve must've screwed up somewhere along the line.

That's the thing though. Those are first party games, published by Sony or Microsoft themselves. It's not Valve's fault either. I'm pretty sure it lies with Sony and Microsoft. If they open the door for Valve, who is already their competition, then the other devs would just piggy back off Valve. I can understand the hesitation on Sony and Microsoft's part for not allowing Valve to release something like that for their respective systems. I'm not happy about it but I can fully understand why they do it.

That's the thing though. Those are first party games, published by Sony or Microsoft themselves. It's not Valve's fault either. I'm pretty sure it lies with Sony and Microsoft. If they open the door for Valve, who is already their competition, then the other devs would just piggy back off Valve. I can understand the hesitation on Sony and Microsoft's part for not allowing Valve to release something like that for their respective systems. I'm not happy about it but I can fully understand why they do it.

I don't really get what your aiming for exactly. How is an in-game editor in Portal 2 "opening the door" for Valve?

I don't really get what your aiming for exactly. How is an in-game editor in Portal 2 "opening the door" for Valve?

I'm not saying I'm an expert at this subject but I'm guessing that first party game devs have special access to codes Sony/Microsoft would want to keep for their own systems. If they open the door for a 3rd party developer, like Valve, they risk that code going public. Especially for something that complex. Other games have already had their own level editor but that was minor adjustments to pre-existing levels. And those games were available on all of the consoles.

Again, not sure how it all works for sure, but I'm guessing there has to be something on Sony/Microsoft's end.

I'm not saying I'm an expert at this subject but I'm guessing that first party game devs have special access to codes Sony/Microsoft would want to keep for their own systems. If they open the door for a 3rd party developer, like Valve, they risk that code going public. Especially for something that complex. Other games have already had their own level editor but that was minor adjustments to pre-existing levels. And those games were available on all of the consoles.

Again, not sure how it all works for sure, but I'm guessing there has to be something on Sony/Microsoft's end.

Code meaning, the programming behind the in-game editor?

I would have to imagine any and all coding is done by the developers (Media Molecule, Redlynx, Valve, etc). The belief that there's some special code that Sony/Microsoft are trying to keep secret and only give to first-party developers specifically for in-game level editors sounds very strange to me lol.