Sony Apparently Trademarks a New PS Vita 3000 Model

damon8r351

As far as the PS4...I remember two different models of the PS3 being launched concurrently with different size HDD which caused them to vary in price. Could Sony have done the same with the PS4 and charged the extra $100 - $200 for the model with backwards compatibility for those who were willing to shell out that amount of money for it? Could Sony have WAITED until they found a cost effective way to add backwards compatibility to the PS4 before releasing it? YES and YES. The latter especially since plenty of games are still being released for the PS3 and it is still a profitable platform for them.

They cant. 

FatLady PS3 had basicly a build in PS2. ... Also a graphicscard that wasnt planned at first, but they build one in, because they feared XBox360 which would be obviously much stronger. This is the reason why FatLady-PS3 is YLODing often. It had too much hardware for the design of the chassis and coolingsystem in it. ... Also it was the reason why PS3 was so expensive. (nope it wasnt the BD-ROM-drive alone) There was just way too much Hardware in it.

To make PS4 backwardscompatible to PS3 there are four options, and three of them are now impossible because everyone would be superpissed.

- Emulation: Maybe you know, there is NO PS3-emulation for PC. Because there is no hardware out yet that is strong enough to emulate the Cell-CPU. Even when an i7 or Xeon is stronger on the paper. You must think about some rules...

First: GHz and Cores are not everything, (This is why Im laughing everytime when people tell me about their cellphones. Buddies, your toys even have no fans... think about it...) because if they would, everyone would use AMD-CPUs today. Seriously... 8x5GHz? looks nice, right?

Second: There must be always power reserved for the Host-system and for the guest-system. Before the guest-system is doing ANYTHING.

Third: Emulation is never a correct-translation. There are always ressources that got lost while emulation. This gap would increase drastically when you are trying to emulate with your x86_64 PC an exotic Cell. Its like with my english. Its obviously not my mothertongue. :P Think about it this way. PS3 and PS4 are talking in very different "languages" and then both get an superexlusive "dialect", given with the kernel of their operatingsystems.

- Hardware: They could have build in a PS3 into the PS4, like FatLadyPS3 had it with PS2. But the PS4 would be very bulky, would produce more heat, would be way louder and would consume more energy. Also the chances for YLODs are very high then... right?

- Hardware2: They could have used new Cell CPUs, BUT... who could design and manufacture them? Alone because of this fact, it would be superexpensive. On the other hand, you can get x64 and ARM (smartphone, tables, etc) CPUs "everywhere" "for nuts".

- Steaming: PlaystationNow actually IS the only option. The game gets prerendered on Sonys servers and you get just an "interactive movie".

Sure, they could have build the PS4 still based upon Cell instead of x64... but I guess there are more things about it, it looks like you dont understand. XBoxOne and PC are using x64 too. Means, it is much easier to provide games for PS4 than it was for PS3, because every plattform uses nearly the same "language". And because Cell is very exotic, you need developers with much experience. Indie-hater would like that, but comone, try to look in the distance. ;) Also it is possible that the PS4 can use Mantle (PS4 and XBoxOne are using custom-designed AMD Jaguar APUs) or maybe even DirectX12 which will boost everything graphicwise. (Framerate, Effects, Details, more Polygons, etc... but I guess this would be an XBoxOne-exclusive killerfeature, because XBoxOne is using Windows, PS4 not.) Have you ever wondered, why Wii U has basicly zero thirdparty support? Its not because of the controller. It is, because its hardwarewise a weaker XBox360.

IBM PowerPC ... XBox360 3x 3,2 GHz, up to 6x 1,6 GHz due HyperThreading. Wii U 3x 1,24GHz. Sure, I said before Cores and GHz are not everything, but we are here inside the same CPU-family, so it does count here partially. 

Just image what would happen in an other dimension, where Wii U is using x64 too? Sure, it would be the weakest console still, because Nintendo loves it too undersize their stuff (I even cant play SmashBrothers for 3Ds fluent lol), but yeah... just think about the possibilities! When PS4 would be hardwarewise backwardscompatible (Cell), most people today would use an XBoxOne because the PS4 would be expensive as fuck.

• Like 2